Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Holy crapola !
  • NZCol

Just had 2 1/2 days of quite worrying earthquake activity culminating In a 6.5 pant wetter earlier this evening. Without a doubt the scariest thing I have experienced and every time this happens thoughts turn to running away ! Nothing you can do but I feel better for,letting you all know , quite a bit of damage too.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

looks like it was quite a way off shore and quite deep, could have been nasty if it was nearer!

sounds like there were no injuries thankfully, but must have been a shock so soon after the Christchurch quake

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I guess this is what happens when you go to live on a piece of land which has only recently been formed, and isn’t quite finished yet.

It’s a bit like building a city on the San Andreas Fault one of the least stable places on earth – not hugely sensible. The clue is in the world “fault” 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Very helpful, Ernie, as usual. 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Oh I’m sorry, I didn’t realise that NZCol was looking for “help”.

I’ll pop over with a dustpan and brush to help him clear up any debris that the earthquake activity might have caused, shall I ?

aa
    Free Member

I heard about it this morning and had a moment of reflection. Hope casualties are a minimum. I love nz as a country and the people, and know kiwi’s are a resiliant bunch!
    I sat through a 4.8 ish quake in picton once which was pretty scary, 6.5 would be proper scary i imagine.

NZCol

Ha ha Ernie nice one. Plenty of scope for cleanup.
    6.5 was get down on the floor over the baby in her car seat sort of scary. We were in a shop and the shelves emptied themselves. Got home 10 minutes later and the blinds were still moving. Next doors pool had a tsunami moment !!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sounds grim but you must have an impressive standard of building if you were hit by an earthquake of magnitude 6.9 and only minor damage occurred.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/07/21/uk-newzealand-quake-usgs-idUKBRE96K01M20130721

Pigface
    Free Member

NZ Col what you said echoes a mail a mate sent me. Stay safe, Wellington is such a brilliant place.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Slight;y different reaction from some friends who have just moved over there: We experienced our first earthquake this afternoon. We had just got home from food and DIY shopping, the kids had gone outside to play on their skateboards and skates and suddenly the house swayed from side to side and the lights and trees in the garden all swayed. It was really weird. Wellington had a 6.9 earthquake and it was felt as far up as Auckland and as far down as Christchurch! Luckily there hasn’t been a lot of damage just a bit of building and road but no one hurt as far as we have been told on the news.

The children didn’t feel anything!

zokes
    Free Member

The worst I had was one of the chch aftershocks – 4.5. That was terrifying enough. The utter feeling of helplessness until it stops is incomparable.

NZCol

A reasonably settled night after a couple of drinks to settle the nerves. Only woken once at 3:15 with a gentle 4.9. Resolved my issue of how to watch end of tour,open and also get my meetings done- work closed until building assessed ! Off out for a ride, a spa and some emergency planning !!

John_Key
    Free Member

Take some concrete pills and harden the f00k up!

NZCol

I’m watching you JK…get back to your chickens

I_Ache
    Free Member

That is a nice welcome present for my mate who has just moved to NZ. Actually it probably want a quake and just the weight of his excess luggage as the plane landed in Auckland.

athgray
    Free Member

Good luck NZCol. Great country and people. It is a shame to see. I have friends who now live in Wellington.

Don’t know if this will cheer you up but at least it wasn’t a sucks point sucks.

bigrich

arf

NZCol

Yeah I saw that in the paper and had a good laugh at it. Nice work weather fella.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Holy crapola !’ is closed to new replies.