• This topic has 108 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Holocaust Awareness – is it just me or…
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

As pointed out above, if he’s 40 now then he’d have had to be very special to have watched SL at school. I presume you’re in your mid 30s?

I have 1981 in my username

I was kind of pointing out that schools really ought-not have to rely on Hollywood to provide all of their resources. I don’t think they made any movies about factual circumstances in the 70’s so that has ruined my retort.

brooess
    Free Member

Personally I’m surprised, but some people have very little curiosity and don’t do anything much to find out stuff for themselves – so if it wasn’t included his school curriculum then maybe he really does know nothing.

For e.g. I was never taught about Mao or Stalin and I’m still shocked that given the numbers they killed were massively higher then the Holocaust, that they’re not given the same profile in our national conversation.

But ignorance is a funny thing. Most (59% of women and 69% of men IIRC) people in the UK are overweight and obese but don’t appear to be aware of the damage they’re doing to themselves, despite massive amounts of information and education…

Junkyard
    Free Member

is he saying the towering inferno is not a documentary 😯

What next the Poseidin did not sink

imnotverygood

I’m afraid it didn’t sink. It just capsized. Otherwise it wouldn’t have been much of a film.
    HTH

CountZero

Funny reading through this, just how little curiosity about the wider world many people have. I went to a secondary modern school, didn’t go to a grammar, or uni, and studied geography rather than history, but practically everything discussed here I’m familiar with, possibly because my dad, who died when I was thirteen, had various books around about the far-East campaigns, like Burma, etc, and he took me to see Bridge On The River Kwai when it came out.
    As a POW in Changi Gaol, he had close-up and personal experience of just how nasty things can get, and, while he never actually spoke much about his experiences, his books on life in Changi, and the Sino-Japanese war, left quite an impression on a young teenager.
    My step-brother was on Coventry when she was sunk in the Falklands, too.
    I’m also very familiar with the English Civil War, as I put together a book on the Battle of Sedgemoor, 1685, and also a large book on Operation Paraquat, the battle for South Georgia.
    I also have an inquiring mind… 🙂
    Here’s one book I put together, casting-off type, page layouts, selecting photos, paste-up, spotting-out the negs, making plates…
    http://www.amazon.com/Operation-Paraquat-battle-South-Georgia/dp/0948251131
    And the other one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sedgemoor-1685-John-Whiles/dp/094825100X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1380239479&sr=1-3&keywords=sedgemoor+1685

aracer
    Free Member

I’m afraid it didn’t sink. It just capsized.

Depends which film

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m afraid it didn’t sink. It just capsized

How come it’s now at the bottom, rather than bobbing along on the surface?

Drac

We didn’t really cover it very much at school it was mentioned how the Jews were isolated out and forced into camps, there was very little past that really.

klunky
    Free Member

When I was at school I was never once taught about the holocaust. Im mid 30s more or less and I find it odd that I was never taught about it. For me history lessons focused on the jacobites and Victorian period. 1st and 2nd world war was covered and I knew that the Nazis were bad but I cant remember in what way this was taught.

It was not until I went to the imperial war museum in London that I learned what and how shocking the holocaust was. Since then I spend a fair bit of my time reading about the 2nd WW.

I have to say it annoys me that I was never taught something so important and perhaps its not so much a sign of your friends stupidity but more of a failing of our education system.

Perhaps if my dad hadn’t taken me to the London war museum I still wouldn’t have known about the atrocities that the Nazi party carried out or how utterly stunning a spitfire and P51 mustang are!

aracer
    Free Member

I didn’t get taught about it at school either, klunky, yet somehow I’ve managed to know about it. I don’t believe that not having something spoon fed to you is necessarily an excuse to be ignorant about it.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

There is a lot of stuff to know about in this world. It is impossible to know about it all. Some of you get a head start like CountZero above by having exposure (through family) to it at an early age. Others get taught it at school, some people just enjoy reading, etc etc.

I am pretty ignorant to history I must admit. I only recently learnt that west Berlin was a small island in east germany, by visiting Berlin. I have heard of the holocaust though.

mogrim

as a purely military engagement…possibly….but without the Falklands war Thatcher would have been a one term PM who dissappeared from view after achieving almost nothing…..because of the falklands the entire world changed….privatisation, deregulation of the banking sector these are now major global themes everywhere that came about because of Thatcher’s survival as PM.

I contend that the Falklands was a very important event globally

Not to mention it led to the fall of a very nasty military dictatorship in Argentina, which almost certainly contributed to some major political changes in the surrounding countries.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Problem is history gets to be a bigger subject every year, and its not possible to cover all of it in detail. However, as the only way to see into the future is to consider the past and then extrapolate forward, it is pretty sad that world shaping events aren’t in everyones realm.

I mean WW2, took us as a species from biplanes to jets and space travel, introduced the UN, dragged us into the computer era and fundamentally changed the structure of the world from colonial to post colonial in a few short years. Massive impact on how we live today. Really, everyone should have some knowledge of the period surely??

MoreCashThanDash

Before it is too late, get your kids watching Horrible Histories on CBBC. Had a very enlightening chat with my 10 & 6 year olds after they saw a song about Rosa Parks on there.

Once I’d explained the civil rights movement and the fact that it was going on just before I was born, the 10 year old simply asked why the US now considered itself the worlds moral authority. Good lad!

stcolin
    Free Member

I’m a victim of secondary school history. Granted, being from Northern Ireland meant we usually had other things war related to talk about. I only learnt of the holocaust after leaving school. I have become interested in Russian history, including WW2, however I find it difficult to follow.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Whilst history sets precedents, surely our greatest focus should be on changes we can make to the present, as through raising awareness of current injustices in the world, we can make a change, through social pressure.

With that in mind, remember that the Israeli Occupation of both the West Bank and Gaza draws many parallels to concentration camps and the Berlin Wall, yet due to a skewed media perspective, there is minimal coverage of the plight of the oppressed.

ninfan
    Free Member

With that in mind, remember that the Israeli Occupation of both the West Bank and Gaza draws many parallels to concentration camps and the Berlin Wall, yet due to a skewed media perspective, there is minimal coverage of the plight of the oppressed.

I’d say there certainly must be some form of skewed media perspective if anyone could be left able to draw a parallel between the west bank and a Nazi concentration camp

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL8ANySuSuk[/video]

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Approximately 1 million German POWs were killed by the Americans

That is by far the most idiotic misinformed statement I have ever had the pleasure of reading on singletrack. Are you a nazi apologist by any chance?

mrmo
    Free Member

I mean WW2, took us as a species from biplanes to jets and space travel, introduced the UN, dragged us into the computer era and fundamentally changed the structure of the world from colonial to post colonial in a few short years. Massive impact on how we live today. Really, everyone should have some knowledge of the period surely??

but you could argue that a study of classical Athens, the rise of democracy and its fragility, its susceptibility to corruption, infighting etc is as equally valuable.

I am not saying knowledge of WW2 is unimportant, but what is? The Enclosure acts, the tollpudder martyrs, Peterloo, maybe that the wealth of Bristol and Liverpool is built on the backs of slaves. How about the Brunels, as for WW2, should people be taught the whole of the story of winston churchill? his depression his record in South Africa, etc. What about the great depression? Every bit of history teaches you something, but it isn’t possible to learn everything.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

ignorance is a funny thing. Most (59% of women and 69% of men IIRC) people in the UK are overweight and obese but don’t appear to be aware of the damage they’re doing to themselves, despite massive amounts of information and education…

We obviously don’t teach very much about holocausts hardly anyone does them… Maybe we should stop teaching people about obesity.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I’d say there certainly must be some form of skewed media perspective if anyone could be left able to draw a parallel between the west bank and a Nazi concentration camp

Funny that the maker of the video you posted also has a video titled

“Klavan’s One-State Solution: Give the Middle East to the Jews ”

certainly no propaganda at work there then…

Nick

I was in Amsterdam a little while ago, last evening we decided to go for a smoke, nice girl working in the cafe sat with us as we rolled up and we chatted away. I’d been to the Anne Frank house earlier that day after rushing there after work, was the 2nd time I’d visited in my lifetime, bought a copy of Anne’s diary for my 12 year old daughter.

Girl in bar was only vaguely aware of the place, had never been there, wasn’t at all interested. I just came to the conclusion that the dutch complicity in the nazi crimes has made it so hard to even think about that some dont.

yunki
    Free Member

There can be very little doubt that there is a bloke in a pub somewhere this weekend telling his mates about the fella from work who actually believed that he hadn’t heard of the holocaust.. This will no doubt prompt howls of derision and perhaps even a debate similar to the one taking place here..

It’s like those threads where people are agog at the ignorance of their wife or a woman from work.. These people aren’t stupid.. They are sarcastic, and they care so little about what you think of them that they are happy to perpetuate your arrogant and condescending assumptions

mrmo
    Free Member

Girl in bar was only vaguely aware of the place, had never been there, wasn’t at all interested. I just came to the conclusion that the dutch complicity in the nazi crimes has made it so hard to even think about that some dont.

But why would she be aware, It happened a long time ago, it is a small part of a bigger picture. I think it is clear that some people don’t know alot of history, just because it is local to you geographically doesn’t mean it has any apparent impact on your life.

nim

What about the french resistance, or the Vichy, how about the Jews such as Joseph Mengels who worked for the Nazis?

Who is Mengels? Can’t find him on Google search? Are you confusing him with Mengele aka the angel of death? If so very doubtful (and never heard this before) he was Jewish given his position in the Nazi regime at the time.

mrmo
    Free Member

Who is Mengels? Can’t find him on Google search? Are you confusing him with Mengele aka the angel of death? If so very doubtful (and never heard this before) he was Jewish given his position in the Nazi regime at the time.

yes my spelling mistake, sure i read he was a jew somewhere when checking before i wrote that? don’t forget how far from the arian ideal Hitler was so anything is possible, I know he definitely had jews volunteer to help him in his research. There are of plenty of cases of Jews, i suppose trying to stay alive, by working for the Nazi’s.

mrmoofo

Let me google that for you 🙄

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Mengele

Odd that, he wasn’t jewish …

mrmo
    Free Member

Let me google that for you

as i said i did the google thing before i said it, must have got it from somewhere?????? As i also said i know that plenty of Jews did collaborate. Maybe i misread something???

br
    Free Member

I’m not surprised in the least.

Based upon experience, most folk know **** all about anything. But the bit that bothers me is that they don’t care that they don’t know.

And I was asked a few years ago while working in Vienna on a night out n the old Jewish quarter, do you have a Jewish problem in the UK? 😯

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Holocaust Awareness – is it just me or…’ is closed to new replies.