Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Holmfirth
  • airmanfield
    Free Member

Anyone know of any decent loops round Holmfirth way? Am up there at the weekend on a stag do, and (hangover depending) intend to go pedaling on the Sunday.

Cheers y'all

Ben_mw

Stag do in Holmfirth – make sure you get along to The Nook, just for the sticky floors and the staff comments along the lines of " It smells of vomit in here – Yes, that's because someone's been sick, and?" (Report from the Wife's hen do)
    Riding wise, well you're only spitting distance from Cut Gate, and after all this sunshine it should be lovely.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

aaah my home town! Sadly though, I hadn't started riding really until I arrived in the south of england, where the, er, proper mountains are.

Would like to find some riding round that way though next time I'm up to see the folks.

sc-xc

There's a few from Holmfirth lurk around these parts…. LukeB, Beefy, Kieron, Blower – but you're more likely to find 'em over the road —>

They took me on a ride round there a few years back, it were grand. As I think the northern people say.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

If you can get fish and chips in scholes. they are officially the best ever, served from a tiny little garden shed!
    Andy at wheelspin might be worth asking about routes.

thwang-01
    Free Member

goat trail up from wesadon for one i second scholes chippy very nice

hp_source

You could give this a go…. it's the route map for the Holme Valley Mountain Bike Challenge. Not a bad route all in all.

Click for route pic.

Or as thwang said, something that includes the Wessenden descent from above holmfirth down to Marsden, that's always a good laugh.

airmanfield
    Free Member

Cheers all.

hp_source – any stand out trails on that loop?

Wessenden descent looks fun on the map. Any more recommendations?

Big-Bud
    Free Member

cut gate nr holmfirth ??…………………

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

About 15 minutes drive.

woody2000

On that map – don't bother with the little additional loop on the far left (above Digley res), it's a longish road climb followed by a nice enough little track but it's not worth the effort IMO. Instead, go straight across then take the FP left down to Digley res instead. Cheeky but a nice little descent. Will have walkers though so watch out.

loftmonkey
    Free Member

whats the one at scholes

mos

3rd scholes chippy. and you could try the Royal Oak in upperthong, it sells good beer and is run by my girlfriends brothers girlfriend.

stanley

Problem with that loop, is that the track is closed at Riding Reservoir. Think that's what it is called anyway….. the one above Yateholme reservoir.
    Like, proper closed. Fenced off.
    There is a nice and cheeky detour, but that needs to be ridden in the other direction.

Best descent in the area is the bw that drops into Marsden from the A640. Almost West to East.

The Wessenden descent is vastly over-rated. I'd use that to get back towards Holmfirth. ie. as a climb.

Would have offered to show you around but I'm away this weekend.

stanley

Hey mos,

I live right opposite that pub !!

Give us a shout if you are ever going in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Holmfirth’ is closed to new replies.