Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • holidays again – crete vs rhodes in september?
  • sadexpunk

yes, we’re in holiday mode 🙂 got my thailand thread going nicely, and now also looking at greece late september.

we’re committed to travelling with jet2 for this break, so its either kos, crete, rhodes, corfu or zante.

we did tsilivi in zante the other year and loved it, so something much the same as that would be ideal. also did corfu, which was nice enough, but preferred zante really.
    ive put ‘rhodes vs crete’ as ive been trawling the forums and they seem to be the hottest still by late september, thats the only reason. we like the heat 🙂

so……. thoughts please? which resorts on either island have a nice chilled vibe, friendly atmosphere, no rowdies, nice taverns, sandy beach and not too far from airport?

thanks a lot for your suggestions 🙂

EDIT: oh, and self catering ideal, thanks.

sadexpunk

anybody? been googling away, looking for inspiration, but im not getting a feel for either of them really. the wikitravels and tripadvisor reviews dont really state which resorts are the quieter ones on either island.

im starting to wonder whether to look at zante again, but ideally we’d go somewhere new.

thanks

DrJ

I’d choose Crete because it is more of an independent place not hundred percent tourist destination and has a variety of landscapes, local cuisine etc

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Rhodes didn’t really like Crete when I went to be honest. Have been to Rhodes 5 times now Faliraki the most, Lindos and Ixia. Infact I’m going again to Faliraki in September this year (16th with Jet2)
    As for the weather in September well the first few couple of weeks its still like August High 30’s to Low 40 Celcius and doesn’t drop below 25 at night so Air Con is a must.

I have been the last week in September and the Weather was still in the Low 30’s with one rainy day a few cloudy days and two very breezy days. But was still very warm.

The Good Thing about September is that its quieter but not Ghost Town quiet. More Enjoyable walking round Lindos in September than say August.

But Id say Rhodes. Look at the East Coast Destinations, Faliraki (Its not a party capital anymore like Kavos,Malia etc) but its a good base to see Rhodes Town, Lindos, Anthony Quinn Bay Etc and its not too far from the Airport (30 euros in a taxi from the Airport takes 20 minutes)
    Kalithea same as Raki but more Upmarket and closer to Rhodes Town.

Pefkos people seem to Rave about it but only been through it in the car.

Lindos is Lovely although quite hilly but nothing beats a rooftop tavern looking out over Lindos at Sunset

You wont be disappointed By Rhodes, I love going back to Rhodes it has become a bit commercial compared to some of the other Greek Islands, but it still has the Great Greek Hospitality and Tradition. Get friendly with a Local Hotel owner and get them t take you to a Proper Greek Night not a rep organised one.

Edit – Quiet Destinations in Rhodes Pefkos or Kalithea most definitely. Look at them.

withersea
    Free Member

Crete and a trip to spinalonga (excuse spelling) good water parks if that floats your boat. Doing Rhodes this year for the first time as well…. With Jet2.

Is jet2 now a must alongside wood burning stoves, fast estates and posh watches?

sadexpunk

haha, we went with them cos of the extra luggage allowance and i hear theres an extra inch or two legroom, dont know how true that is. never used em before so we thought we’d give them a go.
    we actually booked cyprus with them, but unfortunately its a fair bit more expensive so its pushing us a bit to find the extra money this year, (especially as we want thailand next year :-))
    rang em to explain and they said we could swap to a cheaper holiday, so thats why we’re looking at crete/rhodes. im sure cyprus would be better but you got to cut your cloth etc …..

thanks for your views so far, its much appreciated.

Cletus

We spent a week at Candia Park in Crete three years ago and can recommend it.

http://www.candiapark.com/en/

It is between two towns (Elounda and Ag. Nikolaos) and convenient for touristy things like Spinalonga.

Edukator
    Free Member

brainfade erased

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

a work colleague has a house near here in Crete….

http://www.haridimos-apartments.gr/Welcome.html

Thoroughly recommends the place.

sadexpunk

thanks chaps, some lovely suggestions. cletus and essel, they look lovely, but not on the jet2 list im afraid. we’ve now got pefkos booked thanks to the advice above ^^^ that its a quiet resort.

ill come back to this thread when we take the plunge and go DIY for the next year or two cos im pretty sure we’ll do crete soon.

thanks again

sadexpunk

just back from pefkos now so wanted to thank you for the advice. twas indeed a lovely holiday altho i hear youre saying about more commercial now, but still one of the quieter places we’ve been.

Is jet2 now a must alongside wood burning stoves, fast estates and posh watches?

id say it is yes, i really dont want to travel with thomson/TC any more. we’ve always grumbled about something theyve done every holiday, but we’ve done 2 or 3 jet2 now and each time has been spot on. noticeably more leg room, more baggage allowance and, could just be coincidence, but every check in has been a painless shortish queue. its been heartening when we look over at the long, static queue for thomson/TC. like i say, could be coincidence tho but im insisting we only look at jet2 for now.

Infact I’m going again to Faliraki in September this year (16th with Jet2)

if only id checked this thread just before going, thats exactly the date we went. were you one of the two lasses dropped off at a hotel up a hill in faliraki?

anyways, thanks for the help everyone. we got kefalonia booked for next year (jet2 natch), then we be looking for another island i think, maybe crete, skiathos, kos who knows 😀

cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘holidays again – crete vs rhodes in september?’ is closed to new replies.