Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ‘Holidays’
  • mos

A mate of mine is going for a week in the snow on saturday & in order to cover his workload whilst he’s away, he has had to work extra late nights & two weekends.

He’s an accountant at some big spot in leeds, his contract is the usual 37hrs working week with the understanding that he will drive himself in to the ground to get the job done with no paid overtime.

I can’t personally see how that week constitutes a holiday?

darrell
    Free Member

well he is doing the devil’s work so who cares

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It doesn’t. He is being abused by his company.

Roll on the end of the working time directive opt out

We (as a country) work longer hours and more unpaid overtime than anywhere else in Europe

grumm
    Free Member

I’m sure he gets paid handsomely to compensate for stuff like this.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Always, always take 2 weeks off at a time. ‘Tis the only way.

sofatester
    Free Member

It’s all voluntary.

chakaping
    Free Member

While I’m on your mate’s side, I suspect he’s probably accepted this situation and brought into the idea of working all the hours god sends for a relatively healthy pay packet.

I don’t suppose he’s complained to his boss or union rep, has he?

jimmy

Still, rather be here than America. 2 weeks annual holiday? No thanks.

Was talking to 2 Americans on my course and they were astonished how much holiday we get here.

grumm
    Free Member

Holidays are going up here from April too aren’t they? Minimum 25 days a year or something?

ourmaninthenorth

Listen, professional services firms are notorious for expecting blood at all times. They do this with a promise that one day, my son, all this will be yours.

Sadly, it’s only once they’ve got you reeled in do you realise that nothing comes for free, even paid holidays.

And the jam is always tomorrow….

I’m sure he gets paid handsomely to compensate for stuff like this.

Hahahahahahaha! no really, you guys crack me up….

grumm
    Free Member

Hahahahahahaha! no really, you guys crack me up….

Huh, what’s so hilarious? I thought it was par for the course for stuff like lawyers and accountants at big firms to work loads of hours – I bet he earns a load more than I do.

If you want to work somewhere nice and chilled out and friendly then why chose a big accountancy firm?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘‘Holidays’’ is closed to new replies.