Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • holidaying on your tod….
  • alpin
    Free Member

so after another weekend of snow here in Munich it’s going to take either a miracle or another month or so till the local trails are free of snow.

in order to stop me from degenerating into a fat slobby mess (to be fair, i’m already quite a way down that road) i’m thinkiing about jobbing off for a bit of snow-free trail fun.

my next job is booked for May and all my bikey mates have got proper jobs and therefore a limited amount of time off.

i did look at Finale Ligure, but a 12 hour train ride seems a little excessive to me. and i don’t speak italian so would feel a bit lonely.

am thinking Lake Garda (i know, still Italy but frequented by enoungh Schermans that i’ll probably bump into someone with whom i can have a beer with) or possibly South Tirol, Vinschgau area… despite being surrounded by 3000ers the valleys look to be clear up to about 1800m.

the GF thinks it a little odd that i want to go on holiday on my own… anyone else enjoy the not-having-to-give-a-toss-about-others joy of being alone?

oh, and any other suggestions welcome!

piemonster

Language school in Spain? Or similar.

Wildcard entry.

passtherizla
    Free Member

yep… I used to get away on my own all the time, chuck the tent, BBQ and bouldering stuff in the car and go wherever i fancy. fontainbleu for the weekend was a good trip. Was usually Wales, Peak District or scotland though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alpin
    Free Member

i’m looking at a week-ten days. don’t want to fly due to the faff of taking my bike (and the hassle of airports and the Co2 crap). but cheers 🙂

crazy-legs

I did a really nice road trip of Scotland a couple of years ago – stayed at a mix of friends houses, proper campsites and wild camping. Just had the MTB, all my kit and very little in the way of a plan or places to go.

Was ace, stopped off at distilleries, did some walking, MTBing, general sightseeing, all sorts.

Basil

Yeah, hols on own are great (as long as this is not your only option!)
    I get at least one holiday a year by myself.When I get home wife has usually decorated/new curtains etc.
    The joy of peddling whilst looking at the scenery (usually Scotland for me) not having to “interact” is to be recommended.

jekkyl

I’ve done it a few times, usually the lake district for spare weekends here n there. The only time I sorta miss company is in the evening, having a beer by yourself is a little lonely. I overcame this by riding until late as possible, or rather than finish the ride at 4ish like normal, stay out later just looking at interesting stuff or have a longer lunchtime.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I like it, but I find by the 5th/6th day I start to feel sad… 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

I really enjoy going away on cycling holidays by myself but then I am an anti-social bastard. I’m quite happy with my own company for extended periods and I can always pretend I know people on the internet if I feel lonely. It was better when I was single because I could actively seek out female friendship which was always entertaining but now a good book will do 😉

ianv
    Free Member

I think the germans like finale as well so it shouldnt be too bad.

Nowt wrong with going off on your own, I spent a lot of last year travelling around France on my tod and I didnt feel lonely. A load of books and a laptop loaded with abelton kept me occupied in the evenings.

_tom_
    Free Member

I did a whole summer on my own in Whistler, it was awesome. Traveling by yourself is pretty good, you can just do what you want. And it forces you to meet new people 🙂

birky
    Free Member

From 2000-2008 I went touring europe for 3 weeks each summer alone on my motorbike. When riding it was fine but evenings could be a bit quiet, I don’t speak any languages.

hora
    Free Member

In 2003 I went to Morzine on my own. Loved it. Met loads of like-minded folk and you have a good time. Why not fly to Switchbacks in Spain?

midlifecrashes

Do it. But for a riding holiday with uplift, I’d book in with a local company. Or just go exploring.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’ve been away a few times by myself too (usually over the Xmas holidays)…if I hadn’t have I would have been sat at home not being able to get out much due to the weather. If you’ve got the chance GO! You’re more likely to regret not going rather than going.
    I still meet up with most of the folk I met on my last trip too.

shermer75
    Free Member

I went on my own to the lakes last month- it was midweek, I was in between jobs, no-one else around and….it was really, really good. Great to be able to do whatever you like. Plus you end up talking to more people, funnily enough. And you get to bore the pants off everyone when you get back with stories and photos!!

strawdog
    Free Member

ive just come home from 11 days solo in finale, I would say if you are unsure about it – just do it, and agree what d45yth says about regretting not going. I had a lot of leave to use with work and pretty much took last month off. I felt a bit unsure so kept my schedule pretty flexible in that I booked a one way flight end 7 nights in a hotel and made the decision to stay on a little longer while I was out there.

it turned out to be a good trip did a mix of solo exploring around the trails, few days guided and a couple of days with an uplift company, if I was going for a shorter time I probably would have done purely shuttle days you would be out on it 9 – 5pm by the time you do that get back to your accom clean up and have some food / go out for a few beers you want pretty early nights as the shuttles leave @ 9am.

The only small issue was lack of english spoken, I think apart from A british guy that runs one of the shuttle companys I was the only brit out there at the time! – finale seemed to cater towards italian / german tourisits – there were a few german groups who I tagged along with on the uplift/shuttles who were a good laugh. So if you speak german you would be even better off than me

shameless plug for a couple of vids i made out there …………….oh and happy to give you the contact details of my guides / shuttles accomodtion etc

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG-uhV6mqsY[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD6aQAQvkJw[/video]

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Hey Alpin,

Thanks for the Lake Garda advice from last week. I headed down there by myself from Innsbruck for a long weekend. Its always a bit strange travelling alone, but I don’t mind it too much. Riva del Garda is full of riders too, so you could for sure find someone to ride with, or if you’re like me, just be happy going exploring by yourself.

I stayed in the Ostello gioventù in Riva. For €18 a night its pretty good. Clean, hot showers etc. They also do pasta dinner for €5 which was terrible (quality) but awesome (quantity!). Also, if you get the train to Rovereto, you can get a bus with your bike for €2,90 to Riva. Dead easy.

As for Vinschgau area, I was down in Latsch last week (my housemate is from südtirol), and there was still a fair amount of snow on the northern slopes, right down to 1000m. I didn’t have a bike so I couldn’t explore, but I would guess that Garda would be a safer bet!

Also, if you’re in Innsbruck at any point, send me an email and we could go ride/drink beer!

Mounty_73

My last solo trip…….

I did a last minute road trip to Scotland a few years back, riding, walking and exploring, I loved it, the only downside… it was a bit quiet during the evenings as I had no one to talk to….

I had no plan other than at the start of the trip, I ended up staying an extra 3 days as the weather and riding was fantastic…

People thought it was a bit odd, but I am happy with just my own thoughts and company….

CountZero

If I want a holiday away I don’t have any choice but to go on my own.
    For years I’ve just taken a week off here and there, then just gone out for days somewhere, but three years ago I got so fed up I booked a week B&B in a pub in South Devon, and enjoyed every minute I was there.
    I got talking to some of the locals, (it’s a tiny little fishing village near Kingsbridge), and spent my time walking the coast paths, taking photos, eating fabulous food and drinking great beer!
    One couple I got to know, who live near Start Point, invited me down to use their guest accomodation, which I did last October, The weather was foul, but I just stayed in, read books, listened to music, and went down the pub in the evening.
    I’m happy with my own company most of the time, so I had a great time.

hora
    Free Member

Can I just say (from my perspective) I don’t see owt wrong with a single guy going on holiday on his own. As long as he is sociable/makes friends etc. Someone who comes and goes quietly is weird. Get out there and have fun IMO.

samuri
    Free Member

People who can’t handle being with their own thoughts, they’re the weird ones.

I’m comfortable with what goes on inside my head, I don’t need to drown it in constant chatter from other people. 😉

D0NK

I’ve been away on MTB holidays alone but it’s been with an MTB firm, accommodation and guided riding, so I knew I’d end up riding with a bunch of people anyway. Might end up going snowboarding alone next season, is a bit daunting tho, if I didn’t hook up with another group I could board all day on my tod no worries but a full week might get a bit boring.

I don’t see owt wrong with a single guy going on holiday on his own. As long as he is sociable/makes friends etc

see now my mate can do this, has doen several times, but being “sociable/makes friends” generally means finding other borderline alcoholics to get pissed with down the local boozer 🙂 When I’m away biking/boarding I hardly drink so wouldn’t be doing that.

hora
    Free Member

Saw one lad again recently- met him in 2003 when he’d gone to Morzine on his own to have a break/bored of working in IT. I went again last Summer and……he was doing the holiday transfer/driving. He never went home. He’d met a nice girl there and stayed! :mrgreen:

patriotpro
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    People who can’t handle being with their own thoughts, they’re the weird ones.

I’m comfortable with what goes on inside my head, I don’t need to drown it in constant chatter from other people.

This, this and this again. Get yourself out there Alpin, wherever it may be! Chances are there will be others contemplating the exact same thing anyway.

johnellison
    Free Member

or possibly South Tirol

…where there are as many German speakers as Italian…if not more…

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I think saying they speak German is an overstatement 🙂 but they give it their best shot! South Tirol is certainly not Italy, and I think you’d get a shock if you went there expecting it to be!

brooess
    Free Member

Went on holiday to Spain on my own cos none of my then-riding mates wanted to go and I had holiday that had to be used up.
    There was another (English) couple there who I got on with really well. They’re now divorced but the bloke part of that couple is one of my best mates…

alpin
    Free Member

johnellison – Member
    or possibly South Tirol

that’s what i like about it!

Süd Tirol ist nicht Italien!

strangly, i find it easier to understand them than i do some of the Germans. however i have spent a few summers guiding through the area (and two weeks last year with the GF). always found the people there to be very welcoming and the red wine (esp. Edelvernatsch) rather good.

i’ve been away several times on my own. hell, i buggered off to Oz on my own when i was 18, rode across Europe for three weeks when i was 20 and with work often find myself on my tod in one foreign city or another. in fact when driving the shuttle bus for the transalpers i’m at my happiest…. a few hours drive through the alps, drop off the luggage, have a spot of lunch, drive the van somewhere up the valley, go ride for several hours before getting back to the van to cook alfresco before falling asleep in the middle of nowhere…

Garda is sounding good at 18€/night. last time i was on the lake with customers i ended up spending the night with two german lasses in their camper van. i got a very loud and embarressing cheer from the lads when i returned to my hotel at 8am. Winds bar has a lot to answer for.

was just interested if i was the odd one out. i guess not.

chris, YGM…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Do it. By necessity I do quite a bit on my own and self sufficiency is rewarding. If you want to ride Liguria, contact Ady or Jo at Riviera Bike, thoroughly recommended and the tech trails around the valleys will suit you or you can tear about on the coastal trails.

alpin
    Free Member

as said, a 10-12 hour train journey to Finale isn’t that appealing. Garda is a pleasent four hours from Munich.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘holidaying on your tod….’ is closed to new replies.