Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • holiday/honeymoon help
  • hooja
    Free Member

Right dilemma time…
    Im after any advice on locations and accom that you lot have been impressed by.
    Usually we just load the van and head to the alps/pyrenees/west coast france and generally bum around climbing, riding and surfing. Mainly for the reasons that we like the freedom and independence and ability to take lots of toys.
    However, getting married next week, so this year our holiday (2-3 weeks) should probably be a bit different.
    Neither of us could probably stand staying in a hotel for long and certainly not part of a all inclusive complex affair (shiver).
    I have no idea where to go, thought about portugal and finding some self catering, walking distance to the surf and other similar options but what if you get there and the place is rubbish, no car to run away in etc.
    Basically i think we need somewhere where we can chill out a bit, get some sun but have access to adventure preferably with some quirky accommodation that you are happy hanging out at…
    any ideas?
    cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mainly for the reasons that we like the freedom and independence and ability to take lots of toys.

|What you enjoy

so this year our holiday (2-3 weeks) should probably be a bit different.

don’t believe the hype! just do what you enjoy

Maybe book a couple of nights here or there in a nice hotel (small nice not big & posh) and treat yourselves to some nice food & wine along the way.

hooja
    Free Member

Cheers mike, I think thats pretty much what we are thinking but so used to travelling around under our own steam we are not sure where to head if we choose to leave the van at home.
    Anyone spent much time in corsica?

organic355
    Free Member

I stayed here for my honeymoon:

Omnia in Zermatt, but we are both big snowboarders.

Its a boutique/design hotel so fairly pricey, but you only have a honeymoon once eh?

alfabus
    Free Member

we went to scotland for our honeymoon… first couple of nights were in a nice b&b in edinburgh, where we went out for posh meals and pretended to be grown ups.

the rest of the two weeks were spent biking in the stanes and up near gairloch.

Do whatever makes you happy, but probably worth having a bit of a special bit to make it feel different from any other holiday.

Dave

karnali
    Free Member

spent a week in a log cabin near inverness for first half of honey moon, was ace deer at windows etc, then a week in the western lakes ina nice converted barn. Did a bit of walking and generally lazing around. Why not go further afield and do something you may only do once. Nepal is ace, trekking, ace biking, learn to paraglide, go to the jungle areas, everything in terms of accom from nice hotel resorts to basic trkking lodges could mix the best of a few worlds. Have a lot of info email me if you want any.

hooja
    Free Member

Cheers for the ideas, nepal is not a bad idea at all, I’ve spent quite a bit of time in the himalayas but missus has never been, hmmm… Only shame would be lack of time, month or more would be good!
    Scotland has been thought about but would like a decent chance of good weather.
    Doing something completely different was considered partly because it may be the last proper holiday we will do without kids, for a few years.

29erKeith
    Free Member

sod convention, do what you enjoy

we luckily both got 3 month sabbaticals and went travelling split between south east Asia and South America. Mainly on the cheap bit had a few nights here and there in nicer places and went to some posh places to eat on occasions too

29erKeith
    Free Member

how about Peru/Bolivia other than flights it’s pretty cheap.
    loads of mountains, glaciers, biking, hiking, skiing etc etc good food & wine too, so much to see and do there. Best part of our trip, we’d go back at the drop of a hat given the time/cash

toby1

Croatia – sailing holiday for a bit then some of what you know and like? Depends on budgets and appeal of course.

Flight into Dubrovnik, then travel up to Split to fly home, touring and island hoping on route?

Tour of central and Northern Italy? Rome is would make a killer first few nights? Then hire a car and head up through Tuscany to the hills beyond.

Plenty of options but does really depends on what you fancy.

HansRey

i’m not engaged, or close to being so.. but a snowboarding honeymoon sounds great.

OP. If i was you, do what you both enjoy and take a road trip to somewhere. That sounds great fun to me. If you want to meet some friendly people and see some pretty places, try the Baltics.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If you want Corsica find Trimix on here as his wife is Corsican they regularly drive down in van with MTB, motorbike and dive kit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘holiday/honeymoon help’ is closed to new replies.