Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Holiday recommendations – anyone been to Croatia?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

Thinking of taking a weeks holiday at the end of June/start of July with my girlfriend.

We’ve discounted Egypt as it will be ridiculously hot but had been thinking about Croatia. Doing a bit of research I can see Dubrovnik, Split and Porec as potential resorts.

What are the best places to go? We like a bit of nighlife but nothing like you see on 18-30’s tv shows, just some nice resaurants and bars. Activities and places to see/visit in the day would be great too as we dont just like to lounge on a beach all day.

BigDummy
    Free Member

We enjoyed Plitvice national park immensely. Trogir is lovely too.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

We did Dubrovnik, Korcula and Miljet in ’07. Fan-bloody-tastic. Great weather, nice people, great food. Would like to go back again this year to try more islands/see more of the country. Interestingly enough Plitvice was high on the ‘to do’ list.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Dubrovnik is great, been there probably about 15 times as my Mum is from there. Definitely not a place for nightlife, more of a romantic couples, culture holiday. The Old Town is something else and is right up there with Venice and other wonders of the world in my opinion.

My brother rents out an apartment if you need accommodation:

Dubrovnik Apartments

29erKeith
    Free Member

did a Neilson break on Korcula with the missus last year
    sadly they’ve closed that centre now, a real shame
    some great water sports and riding to be had on the island there, if you know where to go

also visited Dubrovnik

big thumbs up for Croatia from me too

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not on holiday, but I have got several T-shirts from going there in the early to mid Ninetees..

mcboo
    Free Member

I spent Xmas Eve 1994 on the Bosnian/Croatian border in an armoured vehicle waiting for the Serbs to come at us.

As per above Trogir is just lovely for R+R. The rest of what I saw I didnt really care for.

Philby

Stayed in Cavtat (sp?) near Dubrovnik – great place and very relaxed. Lots of Italians were there when I went. Dubrovnik is stunning.

trailmonkey

Stayed in the north at a place called Pula on the Istrian peninsula. Very Italian in influence. Lots of Roman antiquities to explore and there’s a Hydrofoil that sails Daily to Venice. Very nice.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I have spent several weeks inland round the area of Ro? which is a village in in Northern Istria (the triangular peninsular). Sleepy, gorgeous limestone mountain scenery, caves, ancient villages, very friendly people, crystal clear rivers, no tourists. Hardly anywhere to camp. (A guy in Ro? rents out his back garden).

Anna-B
    Free Member

Croatia is beautiful. Dubrovnik Old Town very special, walk around the ancient city walls (medieval?) but so well-built that they protected the city during the war. Split lovely too, old palace remains on the Riva very interesting. Over 1000 islands off the coast, so island hopping easy and fun. People rent out rooms in their houses to travellers over summer, so I would just turn up at tourist info, ask for a room, phone call made and sleep in someone’s home for the night. It worked out really well. The Adriatic is a gorgeous sea. Go!!

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve been a few times with work & find it quite expensive & I’m not paying

That may or may not be an issue for you

Andi
    Free Member

Went to Dubrovnik for my Honeymoon last June. Its a beautiful country, plenty to see/do. Including relaxing on the beach, walking round the historic old town, heading out on boat trips to the islands. In Dubrovnik town some excellent seafood restaurants, further out there are a lot of ‘tourist’ type restaurants. But food was good and Croatian people were very friendly.

Would definintly recommend it.

doof_doof
    Free Member

As per BigDummy, the highlight of our 2 week road trip was the national park – simply stunning and a must-do IMO. Didn’t particularly rate the northern coast or Split.

backhander
    Free Member

I went for the first time 2000 odd, I think albeit in an cough “official” cough capacity (was my mates who nearly caused a diplomatic incident by kicking down some of the “wall” outside the croat govt HQ). Zagreb was great and I have been back as a civvy twice, once to Opatija which was nice and lively but more of an older persons hol, and more recently to Bol, Brac which is immense-quite laid back and full to the rafters with things to do, diving, canoeing, windsurfing and apparently some biking. I spotted the windsurfing instructors on some sweet foes etc. I’m going back in July and wondering if i should take my bike. Plitvice is a once in a lifetime thing and you will never see anything so beautiful.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Some glowing reports there then – just got to choose a location and find some resonable flights then 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Holiday recommendations – anyone been to Croatia?’ is closed to new replies.