Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Holiday in the UK with small kids – where?
  • steviegil
    Free Member

After taking our kids(2+3) abroad this year we have realised its just way too much hassle with the plane journey and the amount of stuff you need to take, so next year we are staying in the UK.

We are based in Argyll on the west of Scotland, so where would you guys recommend for us to visit? Nice cottage, good pubs for food and beer, also plenty to keep our toddlers happy would be heaven 😉

We simply cannot decide where is best so your information would be greatly appreciated:-)

druidh
    Free Member

Hmmm. Nope – I've not changed my mind yet

joolsburger
    Free Member

I am off to Salcome in Devon and I highly recommend it as a family holiday spot.

J

Trekster

All depends on how they travel and how big/comfy your car is

Took daughter and grandson(4)for a drive down the Cumbrian coast recently. Had seen some nice beaches on the local news so tought we would have a day out. I am in Dumfries and them in Carlisle so it is "local"
    We had great fun on the beach, nice cafes, nice pubs, found a great cheese maker and a farm park with tons of animals and great tea room.
    The Lakes has everything from boat trip, train rides, pencil museum to slate mines and big houses to visit.
    We are off for a cheap wekend here at the end of the month before daughter starts work & grandkids go back to school;
    http://www.hagansleisure.co.uk/parks/solway/index.asp
    From there we can go to the Maryport sealife attraction and down to Whitehaven for the Rum experience 🙄

Some nice mountain biking to be had in the Lakes I have heard 😈

We also do the Center Parks/Whinfell thing for Xmas which for the little uns is ace 😆

If they like animals you could do Center Parks at Longleat?

the-muffin-man

From Scotland I'd probably do the North Yorks coast if you didn't want to drive for hours and hours – Scarborough/Whitby area (not Brid its a dump). Nice beaches when the sun shines and plenty to do inland when it doesn't (including some great mountain biking!).

StirlingCrispin

We've had some brilliant holidays in Keswick.
    Choose accommodation near the town centre – old railway line for family bike rides, superb park, boat trips plus lots of options for days out.

steviegil
    Free Member

Ah bugger, just noticed i have posted 2 threads of the same, can a mod merge them please.

Given where we live the kids are used to sitting in the car for hours on end, so distance is not a massive issue but i think 14hrs to cornwall night be too far for the pair of them.

Trekster, we really like the lakes, went last year and must admit its very handy for us with plenty to do. As for centre parc's, we have been to whinfell a few times (admittedly pre kids)and although it was very good it was always let down by the rubbish food.

Never visited the moors or devon, will give then a look see once i get onto a computer and off this stupid phone.

tron
    Free Member

North Norfolk.

Not a fan of Whitby and surrounds. Too bloody cold.

the-muffin-man

Too bloody cold.

He's coming from Scotland!

I will 2nd the North Norfolk coast though, we've had some great holidays there.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I'd probably just explore Scotland! Maybe the outer Hebrides?

We've had a few holidays in our own county (Cornwall) and loved them.

Grandparents on tap for babysitting, easy travelling, can spend more on nice food, etc. Sounds a but odd but I honestly think that if you live in Wales, Scotland, Devon or Cornwall, you have a lot of great stuff on your own doorstep.

steviegil
    Free Member

Ha your right he is coming from Scotland, so whitby will be purely tropical!? 🙂
    Any good links to good accommodation you guys have stayed in?

iainc

Glasgow based here, with boys aged 4 and 7. Have done Whinfell Centerparcs regularly and it's always good, but getting very pricey. Did a week in Northumberland this year (Beadnell) and would highly reccomend. Not too long a drive and we played on the beach in the sun most days while a mate and his family got rained on in a motorhome in north west Scotland. Also regularly go to Aviemore area – lots to do there and quite dry compared to further west

steviegil
    Free Member

Matt, yup i tend to agree somewhat and we do tend to do that sort of thing on weekends away. I visit most of the hebrides through my work (currently on the north of Mull on my mobile) so it might be a little like a bus mans holiday for me, but im sure the kids would love the adventure of calmac ferries:)

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Satyed here with the little'un recently and it was very good….. but it's a mightly long way for you…. http://www.bosinver.co.uk

Trekster

steviegil – Member
    Matt, yup i tend to agree somewhat and we do tend to do that sort of thing on weekends away. I visit most of the hebrides through my work (currently on the north of Mull on my mobile) so it might be a little like a bus mans holiday for me, but im sure the kids would love the adventure of calmac ferries:)

Makes for a stess free hol for wife & kids 😆
    Agree re Whinfell, but it is for the kids innit 🙄

takisawa2

Book tickets well well in advance & take train to Cornwall, then hire a car. Nice part of the world. Kids love nowt more than a beach with rockpools to waddle about in. Dont put too much emphasis on the weather, our two were as happy as pigs in muck on the beach in the rain.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

We have used Sykes Cottages a few times with only good results. Pick somewhere you feel you would like & see what cottages are on offer.

We have some Cornwall & Somerset which may be a bit far, also North Yorkshire which may be an option

chriswilk
    Free Member

Northumberland – the Bamburgh / Seahouses / Beadnell area

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Apparently these guys are quite good – not been personally but friend of mine is going for 2nd time. Can just go by train, they pick you up at station give you bikes and ferry all your gear between hotels. Pretty sedate but it is cycling. Lots to see and do.

http://www.ukcycleholidays.co.uk/familytours.shtml

steviegil
    Free Member

Gee-Jay – Member
    We have used Sykes Cottages a few times with only good results. Pick somewhere you feel you would like & see what cottages are on offer.

We have some Cornwall & Somerset which may be a bit far, also North Yorkshire which may be an option

We have been looking at Sykes and they have some lovely cottages for rent, we have seen a few nice ones and now its just a matter of picking where to go 😆 We are stuck between the Lakes, Northumberland, the peaks, Yorkshire and possibly the south west depending on finding a very nice cottage..

Can a mod please merge or delete one of the 2 threads please 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in the UK with small kids – where?’ is closed to new replies.