• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Holiday in the UK with small kids – where?
  • steviegil
    Free Member

After taking our kids(2+3) abroad this year we have realised its just way too much hassle with the plane journey and the amount of stuff you need to take, so next year we are staying in the UK.

We are based in Argyll on the west of Scotland, so where would you guys recommend for us to visit? Nice cottage, good pubs for food and beer, also plenty to keep our toddlers happy would be heaven 😉

We simply cannot decide where is best so your information would be greatly appreciated:-)

druidh
    Free Member

Anywhere around the Aviemore area

geoffj

When? How far could you travel? Beaches? etc…

steviegil
    Free Member

Druidh, Aviemore would be a good option, cant beat it in the nice weather.

Geoff, next summer. Distance is not an issue as we will go anywhere if it gets good enough feedback.

freddyg
    Free Member

I went to Findhorn many years ago and camped on the beach. I vowed to return one day, it was lovely. Now I've got kids of my own, I'm very tempted to head back; although beach camping would have to wait until they were much older.

gusamc
    Free Member

I use Parkdean holidays (in Devon) but they have Scottish bases.

That should give you a 'butlitz base' of stuff for kids and make sure it's near nice local facilities for you

Teapot
    Free Member

You said distance isn't an issue so what about the Isle of Wight? We just had a great family holiday there.

trb
    Free Member

Personally we go for the holiday park type of place these days, Haven, Centre parcs, that sort of thing. We make an effort to leave the snob in us at home and use it as a base to explore from. Then when the kids are bored you've always got the pools, playgrounds, beaches, forest etc on your doorstep to keep 'em occupied.

Cornwall is always good for that sort of thing but the drive down from your place will leave you wishing you'd flown & if you fly you may as well go abroad!

stuthompson
    Free Member

I went with my two boys (3+1) to Centreparcs earlier this year. fantastic place. They are not cheap, but as your kids are not school age try and go during school term time. it will be cheaper and not so busy.
    It's child friendly from the moment you get on site. no cars during the stay allowed on site.The aqua parks are great and all set in huge woodland, so the bonus is take your bike and get a a good ride in before the kids and park wake up in the morning. Starbucks are on site so a hit of espresso on route is an extra bonus. I stayed at the Sufolk one and have booked for Longleat next spring.
    Would recomend an new woodland lodge accomodation.Loads of childrnes entertainment all day for the kids, esp. at that age.
    Can't go wrong if you are happy to drive down south. Cumbria is your closest-null

steviegil
    Free Member

Argh – got 2 of the same threads going here, bloody touch screen phone! 😳

Thanks for the replies people, its certainly giving me plenty to think about. I like centre parcs but i feel the place (whinfell) is always let down by poor quality food the 4 or 5 times we have been there, admittedly we have not been since we have had the kids..

We made the mistake of going to Haggerston castle in northumberland last year, stunning part of the country and it is certainly in the running to be visited again next year but we hated the parc! 🙁 On the other hand a couple of years ago we went to Nairn and it was superb, right on the beach and lovely wee pool which was nice and quiet for the then 1 kid. I think we would prefer a cottage after last years experience..

Drac

Northumberland but not Haggerston as you found out, lots of cottages available. Do you want coast, country or best of both?

juan
    Free Member

What the bulb says 😀

br
    Free Member

Rent a cottage on the coast, near to pubs etc.

Can recommend Pembrokeshire (long drive though), esp. the beaches.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in the UK with small kids – where?’ is closed to new replies.