• This topic has 30 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ifra.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Holiday Ideas, Like Scotland, but not
  • prawny

Looking to go somewhere (relatively) cheap during the summer holidays for a week, but we’ve been really spoiled by the Dumfries area for its cheapness and it’s strilingual lack of annoying English types.

Is there anywhere else that is likely to be anywhere near as good? Cornwall, Devon and most of Wales are out on the too many people front south East doesn’t appeal and isn’t cheap.

Anywhere else?

Mackem

Get your head out of your arse and try Northern England or Wales.

welshfarmer

Around here I can ride on the hills any time other than weekends, in the best weather and not see another soul. TBF even on sunny Bank holiday weekends there will be fewer than a hundred people about on the hills. But I like it that way so please carry on thinking that Wales has too many peeps 🙂

nbt

Northumberland. Alnwick, Berwick Upon Tweed etc

TomB

Northumberland coast. Like Cornwall, without people.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Further north in Scotland. Plenty space and not many people north of Inverness.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Donegal?

prawny

Around here I can ride on the hills any time other than weekends, in the best weather and not see another soul. TBF even on sunny Bank holiday weekends there will be fewer than a hundred people about on the hills. But I like it that way so please carry on thinking that Wales has too many peeps

Where about in Wales are you? The other issue is there needs to be some stuff to entertain the little uns as well. Nice stuff though, not arcades and that, I don’t want to take them to Rhyl 😆

scaredypants

are you absolutely sure you’re not one of those annoying English types ?

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Isle of Man ticks the boxes

prawny

I may well be, but I spend a lot of time with people like me, I’d like to avoid them on holiday 8)

You known what I mean though, Cornwall used to be lovely, but the chippy on Fistral has been taken over by Rick Stein, and there’s not many places you can stay for less than a grand in the summer.

My overriding memory of Wales is going to Borth as a kid, Nuff said I think, it really expensive there now too.

welshfarmer

Here is the middle of the Black Mountains, the oft overlooked outlier to the Brecon Beacons. Plenty of “field with a tap” type campsites for £3 per head. Open fires allowed. Or stay in a Yurt, or other glamping offering. Or holiday cottage. Accommodation to suit all pockets.

Things for the kids? Pony trekking, the Llangorse Rope Centre, Big Pit Mining museum, walks in the hills, castles galore to visit, canal boat….. all within 30 mins drive

prawny

Sounds good, will check it out.

Had a butchers at Northumberland, looks nice but what’s left is surprisingly expensive. Might be one for next year now.

burko73

Northumberland. Take a down jacket and hat.

My inlaws are up there, we’re on the south coast. They say that in a good summer they might get a day or two when you can take your jumper off. Lovely coast and countryside but you won’t be sitting outside in the evenings lie you will in west wales or southern England.

My inlaws look at me weirdly if I suggest a BBQ, if they’re at ours it’ll be steaming hot outside and were sat on the deck and they’ll sit inside unless you cajole them out as it’s just not natural for them to go and sit outside as they’re just not used to it!

Then when they do get out it’s too hot…!

ifra
    Free Member

What about west Wales, cardigan bay area,we went two years on the trot, cheap, some stunning beaches, friendly and quiet even in school holiday

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of Wales has very few annoying English holidaymakers, very few holidaymakers at all in fact.

jekkyl

Why not just go back to where you went and stay somewhere else and do the things you didn’t get a chance to the first time.

nickc

Gower Peninsula.There are some lovely beaches and no-one really knows it’s there.

donncha

What about a couple of days from free:
    http://www.mountainbikeni.com/competition/

Stoner
    Free Member

+1 for black mountains or cardigan bay.

Not sure Id call the gower particularly quiet, but there are certainly quieter spots. Give pembrokeshire a miss in the holiday season though or you’d explode!

nickc

Stoner, aye true, but in comparison to Cornwall it’s practically deserted. 😀

prawny

jekkyl – Member
    Why not just go back to where you went and stay somewhere else and do the things you didn’t get a chance to the first time.

We’ll be going back the same sort of time next year, and don’t want to wear it out. Plus it’s not as cheap as we’d like, although I think I might be hoping for too much getting anything cheaper looking around last night.

Will check out west wales, maybe somewhere not a million miles from Nant Yr Arian or one of the Coeds by happy coincidence

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you want beaches, mountains, both or neither?

jambalaya
    Free Member

strilingual lack of annoying English types

😯

Try Northern Ireland or Eastern Europe – you can get there very cheaply by bus

Alao, if you want cheap you need to book earlier not last minute.

globalti
    Free Member

Northumberland. As empty and beautiful as Scotland but closer.

Stoner
    Free Member

in comparison to Cornwall, the M25 is practically deserted….

prawny

Not massively fussed on beaches, but handy if there’s not much else to do if the weather is good enough. Mountains are nice, but for looking at only kids are 6 & 8, not massively fit and have low boredom thresholds.

I think we’re going to have to start looking for next year and just do something during the summer this year.

Bloody love it where we go in Scotland though, the wife is the one not desperate to go back too soon, I’d happily go back every weekend.

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you do in Scotland then?

prawny

It’s fairly quiet, doesn’t seem popular with people from my neck of the woods anyway, but but it’s not far from civilisation, there’s loads for the kids to do, farm parks, outdoor places, ice cream farms, castles, forestry commission places.

Parking is generally free, and I can take my bike and have a hoot.

It helps that the accomodation is nice, it’s on a farm, there’s wifi, no noise, no on site bar/facilities. I can stay up as last as I want and not bother anyone, but I can also go to bed early and not be disturbed by anyone.

molgrips
    Free Member

You should try West Wales I reckon. Lots of accommodation options, we don’t use them though so I can’t suggest anything.

ifra
    Free Member

We have been to Dumfries and Galloway and Id say west wales is the closest you would get to something similar. We stay just outside Aberaeron. Not too sure I can link this but we stayed here and it is always quiet and not too expensive for peak times.

null

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Holiday Ideas, Like Scotland, but not’ is closed to new replies.