Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • 'holiday home guests taking the proverbial' dilemma type question
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

here’s a good dilemma question to test the collective stw wisdom pool. any answers/advice either sensible or humorous appreciated, to be honest the prob is for my agency to sort and i’m just venting.

ok, so i have this holiday home that is strictly no dogs. we have dogs ourselves, and our dogs do not even go in when we are cleaning. we actually cannot use the house ourselves because of said dogs. the house has to be dog free because its on a beach and would be trashed by a damp salty dog.

so i’m down at the beach this morning with my boy who’s in the local surf club grommets club and happen to notice that there’s a hulking great spaniel in there.

i’m waiting for the agency to call me back, and indeed sort it because thats what i pay them for. but basically the contract is that should a guest take a dog into a non-dog property the holiday is cancelled with immediate effect and no refund.

so here’s my dilema… i really don’t want to ruin someones holiday but i’m dumbfounded and quite cross that someone would have so little respect for anyone else as to know the house is dog free and just ignore it. i really am stunned that people are becoming so self centered and sod everyone else.

and its compounded because next week we have a honeymoon couple coming in and we want the house to be superspecial for them, but if the place stinks of wet dog or there is any damage we are stuffed and there is a chance they would have to be cancelled last minute.

as i say its up to my agency to sort, but if anyones got any comments i’d be interested to hear.

Mackem

Tell the agency to sort it out, if they dont, ask for the fees back, it’s what you pay them for. Send any extra cleaning bills to whoever is in the house now.

Tom83

I’d kick them out. Might sound harsh, but if they agreed not to have dogs in there, then have done, it’s their fault!

BoardinBob

so here’s my dilema… i really don’t want to ruin someones holiday but i’m dumbfounded and quite cross that someone would have so little respect for anyone else as to know the house is dog free and just ignore it. i really am stunned that people are becoming so self centered and sod everyone else

I’m assuming the letting agency or the property listing would have told the guests dogs were not allowed? If they haven’t then you can’t expect the guests to have known.

if they did know and they’ve ignored it then f*ck them. Get them turfed out.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Get them kicked out.

donsimon
    Free Member

Assuming that you can demonstrate that the dog has infact been inside, use the breach of contract to kick them out, you’ll thern have time to clean the property for the happy couple.
    Not really a dilema, is it?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hopefully it’ll have had a shit in the garden too.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks.

the house on the web and in the brochure clearly states no pets.

the contract that the agency has with the guest in black and white is immediate termination.

i saw the dog myself in the window this morning.

actually going to be interesting to see how the agency deals with this, our contract with them is up in september and i’ll have no probs pointing that out. ; )

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As above get them out NOW! Who cares about their holiday if they knew the policy no dogs and they’ve breached it who cares about their holiday, rules are there for a reason.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Get the selfish contract/piss taking bastards out now! Immediately!

Lucas
    Free Member

Go and knock on the door and take a photo as the dog comes bounding up to you!

Jamie
    Free Member

Hopefully it’ll have had a shit in the garden too.

Quiet you. Otherwise, I will come round and take a shit in your garden.

…..and I was drinking Guinness last night.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Promises promises Jamie. On your advice, I went steady and only had three of them Cusquenas 🙂

Meanwhile…are they gone yet? Bastards!!

Jamie
    Free Member

Promises promises Jamie.

Count yourself lucky I am just off out to watch the all-star line up of Peterborough Utd vs Huddersfield, in the League 1 play-off final.

….otherwise you would have a trouble. Big trouble.

….oh and chuck the people out.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

just had the owner of the agency call me. he’s off to deal with it and said they are out.

i’m off surfing to calm down.

Cougar

As others have said, it’s Not Your Problem. You pay a letting agency to manage the property, if you’ve got a honeymoon couple coming and the house isn’t fit due to the letter’s negligence then they’ll damn well have have to sort it out, pronto.

falkirk-mark

I have in the past used websites and ticked the pet friendly option and had ‘no pets’ in the results. Could it be possible that this has happened and the holidaymakers have not noticed.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

on the website and in the brochure it has no dogs no smoking etc logos.

anyway, anyone want a last minute super cheap short break in west cornwall due to unexpected vacancy? ; )

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

oh, but if you’ve got a dog, are self centered and/or not prepared to concede that cornwall is really special and definitely justifies ‘country’ status you can get stuffed! : )

right, off for a surf then a few hours studying fawlty towers dvds for some proper guest handling tips and techniques.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If the dog has been in the property then the clients have clearly taken the piss. But understandably you don’t want to ruin their holiday, so offer them the option of leaving straight away or paying upfront for a proper deep clean of the property once they leave.

As you are paying for a management contract then they should really deal with all this.

dave360

how much is that doggy in the window?

Northwind

Tell the agency, see what happens- if nothing else it’ll be interesting to find out how good they are. if they get kicked out, no guilt, you’re not ruining their holiday- they did it to themselves.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So how’d it go? They leave without a fuss or plead innocence??

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Was the surf any good?

carlos
    Free Member

I’d be on to the agency and expect a reply within a couple of hrs. Thats why you use and agency, to deal with the sh1t, your not the customer, the agency is YOURS. As for the occupants, tuff sh1t. It’s their own fault that they’d have to vacate so soon and I’d not feel guilty at all, as above **** em, and I’d send a proper contract cleaner in and pass the bill on to them for good measure.

toppers3933
    Free Member

so what happened? i need to know!!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Sort it, and soon. I have asthma, triggered by dogs, and I know when there have been dogs in a place that I’ve specifically paid for no dogs, because if I don’t get ventolin, I wheeze my lungs up. So, it can be a health risk.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I hope they’re gone.

singletrackmind

Tell them they have to put the dog in the local kennals. Then they can go and fido out every morning and take it for a shit walk somewhere nice. After this they can deposit fido back at the kennels.
    No need to ruin the week for the muppets .

big_n_daft
    Free Member

. i really am stunned that people are becoming so self centered and sod everyone else.

never seen dog mess in the street, on the beach, in your local park, in the play area of your local park?

dog owners are well practiced

grum
    Free Member

. i really am stunned that people are becoming so self centered and sod everyone else.

What you mean people who buy holiday homes, pricing locals out of the market and turning coastal villages into ghost towns for most of the year? 😉

Pook

So what happened

allthepies
    Free Member

They fed gavtheoldskater to the dog 🙁

matt_outandabout

Sort it, and soon. I have asthma, triggered by dogs, and I know when there have been dogs in a place that I’ve specifically paid for no dogs, because if I don’t get ventolin, I wheeze my lungs up. So, it can be a health risk.

We have the same issue with mrs_oab, she had a miserable holiday one year after someone with a dog had been in the cottage the week before, no end of cleaning would sort it…

If the agreement says no dogs, then that is what someone should respect.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

surf was ok actually, worth a paddle.

long and short is that the owner of our agency, himself on holiday, called me promptly, got the story, then sorted it.

apparently the dog was not theirs, i can hear the stw collective sucking in through their teeth from here and mass chanting of ‘oh really, there’s a surprise’, but infact mother-in-laws who had popped down to see the house. apparently both MiL and husband had received a rollicking already from the wife who was out and came back to find said dog.

they had a sweaty hour or so waiting to hear back whether they would be chucked out as per contract because i was in the water, but i like to be fair and give people the benefit of doubt so i allowed them to stay.

Jamie
    Free Member

Will you will be charging them extra for cleaning?

Drac

Next time it could be a child’s playhouse.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Will you will be charging them extra for cleaning?

if required then yes definitely. but if it was an honest error then it shouldn’t be an issue.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I am unaccustomed to such a sane response.
    No kicking of dogs, or setting their first born child adrift on the Tamar.

STW is going to the dogs i tell ya.

mooman
    Free Member

…. a bit of common sense shown.
    Can ‘t believe some of the people who post on here …

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘'holiday home guests taking the proverbial' dilemma type question’ is closed to new replies.