Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Holiday Bike Storage – Static Caravan
  • prawny

Morning!

I’m off to Cornwall on saturday and I’m thinking of taking my bike now that Cardinham has opened and from youtube looks at least as fun as cannock.

The issue I’ve got is where to store my bike. The wife won’t let me put it in the caravan, so it’s likely it’ll have to live outside for the week. I’ve got a half decent kryptonite lock (post biro lid outrage) and the caravan has a decking area that I could lock it too, however I’m aware that pvc decking would be very easy to cut through. It’s only a Voodoo Bizango so not the most theft attractive bike, and I’ve got a cheap bike cover to protect it from the elements.

Anyone have any other advice what I could do to secure it? Could maybe throw it in the car over night? Might take out some cycleguard insurance too, it’s on my household policy, but the excess is half the cost of the bike so not worth claiming.

jota180
    Free Member

They have steel chassis don’t they?
    Chain it up underneath the caravan

Mackem

New wife?

bikeneil
    Free Member

The wife won’t let me

That’s the only part of your predicament that needs addressing imo.

prawny

I can’t get rid of the wife unfortunately, she irons my work shirts without complaining. I’m willing to forgive a lot for this 😆

Chassis not a bad idea, I don’t want to damage the decking.

Northwind

Yeah, if it’s open underneath then that’s going to be the best option. But some statics are fenced in so that doesn’t always work. I like statics, bike tends to stay in the car though

teasel
    Free Member

I can tell you from experience that it takes some serious elbow grease to hacksaw your way through those metal chassis. Even with an angle grinder it takes some time.

Strip the wheels and tuck it away underneath with a FO chain. Maybe capture a badger or two and stick them under there, too…

Spud

When we go away in the caravan I use those rear-wheel stands and put a big cable lock around the caravan chassis and then another through the bikes.

winston
    Free Member

I’ve stayed in many many statics. My method is always:

In and around the park and at night: Slid under the van on its side and locked to chassis – out of sight is normally 9/10 of the battle.

Walking off the park (to the beach etc ) or going out in the car: In the static – bin bags on the floor if muddy

prawny

Cheers chaps, looking at the pics the front is open underneath at least. Cardinham here I come!

It also puts me in negative pasties for week before I start 8)

marky29er
    Free Member

Its the sight of a bike in the house that wimmins object to. Put it in a bag. I have just bought a duffbag for this very reason. Its just a large bag to them & doesn’t cause a case of the mental.

danrandon
    Free Member

Which site are you at? I have used a couple where the site owners have let me lock it up in their tool store and even given me a spare key. Ask the site owners.

Also while in Cornwall check out lanhydrock (about 10 mins from cardinham) it’s not the same but good fun, the timber trail there has a few corners that took me by surprise. Well maintained trails that only opened at Easter. Selection of blue trails and a red.

Superficial
    Free Member

Get a bike bag and keep it inside. That’s what I’d do anyway.

rickmeister

dont forget to do the post ride bike cleaning in the van shower …

danrandon
    Free Member

@rickmeister

I thought that was what the on site swimming pool was for 😉

prawny

I think the bike bag is a good idea for the future, bit late for this one, I’m skint at the moment.

I might ask the site owners, I’d need a spare key though, as it’s a family holiday I’ll be leaving about 5-5:30 in the mornings for a ride.

Staying just outside newquay, 20 mins or so from cardinham and lahdyrock, I’ll probably give them both a go over the week, cardinham looks the most fun, but it’d be a shame not to give them both a bash.

Actually, does anyone know what the car park opening is like? Is it 24 hour like kirroughtree? Or is it gated like cannock?

danrandon
    Free Member

I’ll check for you later on the car park as I’m in Cornwall at the moment and going riding tonight there

danrandon
    Free Member

Car park is open 24hrs but parking charges do apply at all time

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Holiday Bike Storage – Static Caravan’ is closed to new replies.