Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hobo travels..
  • sharki
    Free Member

So, i finally made it out of the UK.
    After 42 years living within the confides of the UK, i escaped. A week in Sharm el Sheikh and of all the weeks, it was the one when all that snow came to the South west.

Now what do you s’pose a person like me, with my reputation would get up to, in a sunny location favoured by zillions of Bikini clad Russian ladies and other such pleasing to the eye sights?

Remarkably i managed a full week of wildlife spotting and did my best to avoid drooling whilst passing the sun drenched Sunbathers.

The first morning was spent around the resort gardens, chasing butterflies, large wasps and other flying insects, the local Kestrels took my eyes skywards and i regretted not taking my telephoto lens. As the week progressed beach trips rewarded my with the everso relaxed Little Egrets that calmy rested on the foreshore and a flash of blue and orange along the waters edge, along with the tell tale call signalling a kingfisher was present. And everyday at around 5pm, it would perch on a high pole above the street dogs that lazed their day away under the shade of a boat or two.
    One day i observed a Little Egret hunting Lizard and Gecko and they seemed very excited when spotting one, letting out a chilling throaty wheeze before striking out..

Lizards proved difficult to spot and when they were, they were frantically scurrying off from me.
    On one such Lizard hunt i watched a sand digger wasp, on closer sight, it was gathering particles of sand to build i think a place to lay eggs. It would release moisture from there mouth parts and mix sand and dust with it to make a muddy paste, it would then carry the blob away.

Out in the desert and mountains Eagles soared and Wheatears hoped about. And at night both out in the Bedouin camps and in the shrubs around Nabq Bay, the sound of insects chirping through the dark hours.
    Even in the sweet round house we stayed in, nature came to say hello, if only briefly as a fan footed Gecko, darted into the shadows behind a desk.

I spent a fair time face down in the water too, Moray, Puffer fish, lion fish, sea slugs and an abundant show of reef life, even pipe fish with their near translucentcy failing to evade my senses. Many minutes were spent calmly swimming and with fishes, a new to me experience. 🙂
    Even in the pool nature came to me, this time in the form of Dragonflies.

The nights however were long and Boozey and the only wildlife i really came into the contact were humans, twice i was propositioned for a bit of fun, I turned the first down with a Friendly. “No thanks mate!” The other was a girl and a very drunk one who could barely even tell me her name. After pretty much climbing over me and being publicly inappropriate, i was told she needed to leave. Nobody claimed her, therefore it was down to me to remove her and in an attempt to ensure she crossed the road safely(she was that pished) she then refused.. Luckily her phone went off, i took it and told the chap on the other end to get outside and take care of his friend. “NOW!” She’d by now flipped out at me and was calling me the most unfriendly of names.

She clearly didn’t take to my rejections to well, maybe she’d of felt better waking up with a complete stranger and not recalling anything and probably accused me of the worse….Ah well, she was only about 19 and will no doubt learn the hard way from some less thoughtful old fart…

Natures so uncomplicated, i’ll stick with what i know best. So that night i walked from the bars and clubs down to the beach. There i lay and waited for the sun to rise from beyond the Red Sea.
    As i sat, i listened to the splashing of the local street dogs, getting nearer and nearer, they then ran past me, all but one, who stopped dead in front of me, growled and barked at my motionless seated figure. As it snarled away at me, i look photo’s of the distant lights down the bay, the long jetty’s stretching out and the grass roofed sun shelters all covered in a star lit sky.
    The dog continued it’s warning until i whistled a little song, it ran immediately away and rejoined it’s friends. I watched them play in the shallow sea, the star lit splashes glistening then calming to ever fading ripples. I then lay back and to the sound of Mozzies humming like planes in a dog fight over my face i fell into a sleep, waking suddenly an hour later. I looked out across the water and a large red orb rose quickly. Up up up, it was day again…

And now for a few images.

A rare for me photo of a person, but the scene was just asking for it.

And the Poolside bar photo. Damn that was cold at night…

I’m off again in April somewhere, who’s coming? 😀

althepal

Nice pics!

sharki
    Free Member

Thanks.
    And I missed all the snow and cold 😉

PiknMix
    Free Member

Nice pics, and nice to see someone living life, your threads are few and far between but usually contain some smiley worthyness 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Aw.
    Not sure about living a life, but I guess I do try and make the most of my time on the rock better than many.
    Pretty flat out now for a couple months.
    What with doing extensive alterations to a house and have a large old apple orchard that I’ve just started some restoration work on.
    Its a massive task, but I do know I’ll need my fix again soon to go out for a day and wildlife spot as the days grow longer and the air begins to warm.

Grabbing a quick break from the trees for a much earnt brew.

It’s true I don’t start many threads. TBH, I’ve little to contribute here with any frequency, and certainly not really of interest to most.
    But a worthy smile! I’m happy with just the one.
    🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hobo travels..’ is closed to new replies.