Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hmm..have BB30 and am confused.
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

My new stumpy has gifted me a whole bunch of new standards at a stroke (29″ wheels, ISCG, tapered forks, 142mm axle), however I seem to be lumbered with a BB30 bottom bracket. From what I read, replacement will be frequent, hassle prone and potentially expensive. Given that every SRAM BB I’ve used has died quickly. How easy are they to swap out and who makes a decent set of bearings?

Alternatively is there any sort of adapter to allow me to fit a Shimano BB and XT cranks?

oldnick

I’ve got a Wheels Manufacturing PF30 to HT2 adaptor BB, with the angular contact bearings and so far it’s lovely 🙂

I’m sure their BB30 to HT2 will be just as good, just check which type the Spesh really is, my Cannondale Scalpel says BB30 on a sticker on the frame and all the blurb, but it’s actually PF30…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hope do the Pressfit bottom bracket in PF30 sizing. Get the cups pressed in once then if the bearings ever need changing you can drift them out and fit new.

Garry_Lager

PJM1974 – Member

My new stumpy has gifted me a whole bunch of new standards at a stroke (29″ wheels, ISCG, tapered forks, 142mm axle), however I seem to be lumbered with a BB30 bottom bracket. From what I read, replacement will be frequent, hassle prone and potentially expensive.It’s no hassle and it’s less expensive per fitting (can be far cheaper, depending on your choice of bearing). It is more frequent on the mountain bike, though, which prob makes the cost-saving a wash.

Pesonally I like the simplicity and user-friendliness of them (ever tried changing the bearings in a shimano HT2 bottom bracket shell)? The main problem people can have with them is creaking. The frame tolerance requirements are tighter, so if your bike’s a few microns out round the bb it can cause problems and you’ll need to change to a press-fit sleeve.

Either way, see how you get on with it for 500 miles before making major changes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hmm..have BB30 and am confused.’ is closed to new replies.