Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • HiViz backpacks for commuting – what's out there?
  • digger95
    Free Member

I only know of the ProViz one which at £69 is tempting but I’d hope there are cheaper options? Needs to be 30Litre minimum as I don’t want to move essential/emergency gubbins to a larger bag and back on the days I’ve got more stuff to fit in.

sc-xc

In typical STW fashion, I am not going to answer your questions, but…

I used a refleftive cover…added another layer of waterproofness, and could be cleaned much easier.

I used the HUMP one which was a bit more pricy, but a quick look on google suggests you can get them for under a tenner.

downshep

Lomo

Bought one of these for my dad to use on his boat. Well made, heavy duty durable, drybag material with a good mix of flouro and reflectives.

EDIT – cheaper direct from LOMO – http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/high-visibility-drybag-cycling.html

ehrob

Alpkit do them – Gourdons I think they’ll called.

Basically indestructible IME. About £40.

keithd
    Free Member

downshep,
    Does the Lomo bag have separate compartments?

footflaps

In typical STW fashion, I will offer my courier bag which has been out of print for about 10 years…

HTH 🙂

Oggles
    Free Member

Alpkit Gourdon’s aren’t available in flouro yellow anymore… I know this as I was looking to replace my trusty, tatty, faded one!

tonyplym
    Free Member

Still use my Howies courier bag (the one in footflap’s post above) every day – I wonder if they’ll ever make them again as I’d buy another one in a flash.

CountZero

Just buy a couple of cheap hi-viz tabard things from your local street market and wrap around your regular backpack.
    When they inevitably get all crappy it costs beans to replace them.
    Doesn’t look all that, but what does it matter, so long as you can be seen.

dragon
    Free Member

Why bother with HiViz any bright colour will do IMO. Alpkit Gourdon in red or orange will do fine.

antigee

my vote is for the Hump cover – driving in the dark the reflective bits really do show up big time from quite some distance – very obvious its a person there

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Hump is a really, really, really clever idea. Whoever came up with the original concept must be super awesome.

🙂

digger95
    Free Member

Thanks for Lomo tip that might do it. I have hump covers already but dont like the faff of them. I’d prefer a 40l to 30l but dont see such an option.

Northwind

dragon – Member

Why bother with HiViz any bright colour will do IMO.

Quality hiviz ie flourescent and retroreflective is a whole other kettle of fish from just a bright colour. The proviz kit is almost uncanny-

downshep

Keith – the lomo pack is a single compartment.

footflaps

Quality hiviz ie flourescent and retroreflective is a whole other kettle of fish from just a bright colour.

Agreed, when I cycle to work on a foggy morning, all the cyclists wearing the Altura Nightvision yellow jackets stand out miles better than the rest.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I used a refleftive cover…added another layer of waterproofness, and could be cleaned much easier.

This.

The Hump is a really, really, really clever idea. Whoever came up with the original concept must be super awesome.

😆 And modest. Really, really super modest.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

hairylegs
    Free Member

Another hump user here, but I also get the

but don’t like the faff of them

comment.

Being thinking about one of these for the daily commute:
    http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/luggage/aqua/aqua_v_20_backpack_fluo/

Anyone using one?

TiRed

30L is a big bag to have on your back. My 18L Deuter Race EXP has a built-in yellow rain cover with some reflection that packs away when not in use. I use this cover instead of a hump.

JAG

If I was to buy a new Commuting Rucksack I’d get a flouresecent/retro-reflective type with the roll top waterproof enclosure. Much like the ‘Oxford Products’ pack shown above.

You always see the cyclist from miles away if he’s got one of those 😆

geoffj

And modest. Really, really super modest.

With an great interesting taste in footwear.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘HiViz backpacks for commuting – what's out there?’ is closed to new replies.