Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hive mind – driveway surfacing
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m hopefully building a new garage at the bottomo of our back garden – (were’ lucky enough to have vehicular access) The driveway area in fron of the garage will be about 6m “long” by 10m “wide so we could potentailly park 4 cars side by side.

Intially I though some kind of porous or permable surfacing might be a good ideab ut the resin bound surfacing people don’t really seem to have much of a clue.
    I had a couple of quotes for permeable block paving, but I’m not really a big fan – it seems high maintenance and doesn’t have the best longevity IMHO

So that leeave me with tarmac or concrete – I was amazed just how expensive the quote for tarmac was so I’m kind of at an impasses and it’ll be holding up the project pretty soon.

swamptin
    Free Member

If only these were already being mass produced. I guess you could email them and ask what the waiting list is like for enough panels to cover the area.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTA3rnpgzU[/video]

spooky_b329

I think there are permeable version of resin bound as I’m sure they have to use it in precincts and also I think it can be laid right up to trees in the paving, rather than having a metal grid to catch all the fag butts and allow water to get to the roots.

There are two types of resin surface as well, I think they are gravel mixed in to the resin and laid, and resin on the floor and the gravel glued down so it looks more natural.

Not to sure on block paving myself due to chance of oil staining etc.

wrightyson
    Free Member

With that sort of area id be looking at current drainage of the area also, because if you do go for tarmac or other non permeable coverings you’re going to create a fair amount of run off.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I thought these days you needed planning to change an area from grass/garden etc to hard standing of some sort?

All to do with not increasing surface water runoff.

gov website

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I think there are permeable version of resin bound

Yep – but the people who install it locally think it’s still suds compliany even if you lay it over concrete. :S

I thought these days you needed planning to change an area from grass/garden etc to hard standing of some sort?

That’s only for front gardens at the moment

you’re going to create a fair amount of run off.

Whiles a fully SUDS compliant driveway would be the ideal solution I’m not sure the are is suitable – it’s very flat and alraedy doesn’t drain too well. I have enough space to install a new soakaway in another part of the garden, but until I do some excavation I can’t be sure how effective it’s likely to be. I’d like to get use the same soakawy for all of the rainwater form the house and garage too

shifter
    Free Member

Nice noisy stones.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Nice noisy stones.

I did consider doing some of the area in gravel – but it always ends up being a PITA.

chakaping
    Free Member

We did our old front drive in concrete with gravel on top. It was easy to create, really low maintenance and I liked being able to hear when there was someone walking on it.

Just had to sweep a little bit back on the drive every now and again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

we have faded pink concrete , while i hated it when i moved in …its actually been really good.

it gets splashed or leaked on with oil on a fairly regular basis — my land rover , friends land rover , some idiot who doesnt put the sump plug in before filling with oil…….. a few days later you cant see where the oil was….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hive mind – driveway surfacing’ is closed to new replies.