• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hiring a cottage in France – best areas for a young(ish) couple
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

We have next week off work and unfortunately didnt realise it was half term. I also didnt realise my passport expires mid June so restricted to travel with the EU as you only need a passport for the duration of your stay…

Anyhoo, we were thinking of heading over to France as the idea of a week in a French cottage, having some nice homecooked food and exploring the local area is really appealing. It’ll be the girlfirend and myself and we’re looking to drive over rather than fly.

She quite fancies somewhere in relative close proximity to the coast, which is fine by me, though neither of us can spend a whole week lying on a beach so nice walking and activities is a plus point.

I’ve driven down to Biarittz before and that was an amazing holiday so would like to try a different area, and perhaps one not as far South to minimise the driving.

Any recommendations for some areas to look at?

br
    Free Member

Brittany is good – we stayed in a canal-side cottage a few years ago.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for Brittany. It’s lovely in Dinan beautiful medevil town.

However, we’ve found the weather in Brittany to be a bit hit or miss. Last year we went down to the Vendre region, weather was boss there, or maybe we were just lucky.

alfabus
    Free Member

somewhere on the golfe du Morbihan?

nice beaches’n’stuff, and lots of medievals towns and ancient megalithic stuff to look at.

Dave

jota180
    Free Member

Recently had a long weekend and stayed in Honfleur – just the other side of the Seine from Le Havre so minimal driving

Great place to eat and watch the world go by

midlifecrashes

Brittany is really great, but ferry prices are huge in half term. If you do go, Morbihan is good, Cote de Granite Rose is superb. A very french small holiday place Pleneuf val Andre is really nice, like going back in time.

grum
    Free Member

Is the trip going to involve any biking, or just sightseeing, eating out and whatnot?

However, we’ve found the weather in Brittany to be a bit hit or miss. Last year we went down to the Vendre region, weather was boss there, or maybe we were just lucky.

My friends mother has just been there and apparently it’s been lashing it down there while we’ve had glorious sunshine.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Dordogne is around 24 degrees at the mo and is a great area.We take the nippers down there in the summer.

titusrider
    Free Member

Just a warning eurotunnel is pretty much all booked up Saturday and i imagine ferries will be pretty rammed too.

Id look at getting across the sea before worrying about a cottage!

grum
    Free Member

Dover to Dunkirk with DFDS seems to be the cheapest option when I’ve looked in the past – don’t know about availability though.

Scapegoat

Newhaven Dieppe cheap too. Brittany is great, or another couple of hours south takes you into the Vendee, lovely and a bit more sunshine.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Or of course there’s the alps – great scenery, cheap accomodation and most places have plenty to do in the summer.

swampi
    Free Member

I stayed here last year linky, 3km from local little town, 4 or 5 beaches within 20 odd miles, secluded, took about 5-6hrs to drive from Dunkirk…It has a cple of acres of garden and a woods, just lovely, freeview tv and internet too which was a bonus for me

totalshell

anywhere between moribhan and la rochelle driving 3-4 hrs from calais ps its raining at the mo.

anokdale
    Free Member

As a regular traveler to Normandy via the Western channel you have picked the worst week to tavel by ferry to Normandy, Brittanny etc as it is D Day celebratios week this half term, i am going over on Saturday but booked the ferry to Caen months ago so any spaces left are expensive. That said if you can get there you can enjoy the celebrations and also the kids will enjoy the beaches as well, ironic i know.

Accommodation will be hard to find in Normandy and the Northern parts of Brittany but it is not impossible to find somewhere to stay and we have always found somewhere. I have a house there now so it is not a problem and if the weather is bad there are lots of things to do there and see next week.

Lots of other places as suggested above and all good options.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Cheers all for the suggestions.

Plumped for morbihan in the end & currently sat waiting in the queue to board the ferry at Dover. Bit wet though so fingers crossed the other side will be a bit brighter 😉

Taff
    Free Member

We went to Chassaignes in Dordogne. Was a lovely place

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hiring a cottage in France – best areas for a young(ish) couple’ is closed to new replies.