Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Hipsters and jam jars
  • isto
    Free Member

I think carrying one round with a lid so he can use it as a water bottle is a bit nonsensical. But we sometimes use jam jars in the house for drinks…..mostly because they work pretty well and by recycling a few it meant one less trip to Ikea to spend a subsequent hundred quid on candles and rugs.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Never without a gourd.

TooTall
    Free Member

Drinking out of Mason jars is something quite normal in ‘merica.
    I would not be surprised that someone who oozes the British Empire as much as CFH would be unaware of foreign norms. I expect he travels with a bone china cup and saucer in case of emergencies.

jota180
    Free Member

Anyways up, whose not been in a Pub and asked for a “jar” of Beer?

Jarra, sure, jar? I don’t think so

somafunk

Anyways up, whose not been in a Pub and asked for a “jar” of Beer?

I bet you also ask for a flagoon of ale my good man and hand over your personalised pewter jug 😉

Actually that’s a good point, the battle re-enactment folk always have their own drinking vessels so are they the original hipsters?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Hipsters are so funny. They all try so hard to be different yet look identical with beards, sweepy hair and tattoo sleeves. My boss has just grown the beard and developed swoopy hair so that means the look must now be culturally bankrupt (think david Brent’s leather jacket)

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is that bizarre bit of fashion where in an attempt to be an individual you behave like everyone else.

I always remember a scene in a club where all the moody types got up to rage against the machine then jumped up en masse and in unison screamed “**** you I wont do what you tell me”. Clearly i thought to myself.

The other half of me things better to dress as a tit as kid/yoof/young adult as its still better than being boring.

Rorschach
    Free Member

10,000 identical looking greebos in a field singing “there’s only one way of life…and that’s your own,your own,your own”

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I always remember a scene in a club where all the moody types got up to rage against the machine then jumped up en masse and in unison screamed “**** you I wont do what you tell me”. Clearly i thought to myself.

Shirley that’s more a matter of a group of people, who may well be highly individualistic, collectively expressing their frustration and resistance towards the same idea.

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH it reminded me of “yes we are all individuals ” from Life of Brian

oldgit
    Free Member

Think of all those flared trousers they could re-cycle…..no thought not.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Drinking out of jam jars is something I can remember from trips to America in the 70’s, and as people have already said, it probably dates back to prohibition or earlier.

The barbs at ‘hipsters’ in this thread, do read a little bit like jealousy.

andyl
    Free Member

Here in China, it is quite normal for them to use Jars for drinking tea of it.
    Why pay for a bottle, when you can re-use a Jar for it.

One of the Chinese post grads used to use a baked bean tin to store pens on her desk. I bet you could sell them in a trendy shop for a fiver 😉

slowoldman

They all try so hard to be different yet look identical

Yes you wouldn’t find us doing that back in the 70s.

tthew

I’m not buying the ‘upcycling’ and environmentally friendly excuse. I’ll bet none of them are an old Robinsons or Sainsbury’s jar, they’ll be some kind of urban chic, expensively purchased fashion statement.

Bit like they are not actually their sisters jeans.

imnotverygood

The barbs at ‘hipsters’ in this thread, do read a little bit like jealousy.

Errrr. Jealous of what exactly?

JoeG
    Free Member

unovolo
    Free Member

environmental push back

Isn’t that like sh655ing a sheep at the edge of a cliff!

Drac

Been around for ages used a lot in cocktail bars just a glass.

Funny thing is the OP would happily post pictures of a pouncy whisky glass that has a slight tilt.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Holding on to a cup on a RN ship was like holding onto your hat at a hat thieves convention, an empty pot noodle vessel was my cup of choice, took about ten brews for the chicken and mushroom flavour to dissipate.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have plenty of empty strawberry jam jars I want to recycle should I just sell them to the hipsters for £2 per jar? I have washed them … 😀

grum
    Free Member

You have to ask yourself what’s worse – following a fashion trend, or sneering at people for being different to you. I think I know the answer.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Errrr. Jealous of what exactly?

“Look at these hipsters, and their full heads of hair and all their teeth. Hanging out in coffee shops with their laptops and phones planning which club or band to go and watch. Probably full of girls too. Hipster girls. Drinking out of jam jars. What a dreadful state of affairs. Not like when I was a lad and my mum got all my clothes at C&A”

jota180
    Free Member

Marmite jar FTW

chewkw
    Free Member

grum – Member

You have to ask yourself what’s worse – following a fashion trend, or sneering at people for being different to you. I think I know the answer.

I have no problem with hipsters but if I can sell them my jam jars why not? I just want to supplement my income which at the moment is rather low. 😮

slowoldman

Not like when I was a lad and my mum got all my clothes at C&A”

Ah those were the days. Flares and tank tops.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am “sneering at them”* for being the same as everyone else whilst trying to be an individual.

PS you seem to be sneering at some folk for reaching a different conclusion from you.

* I am not I am merely pointing out the irony

tazzymtb

I actually agree with grum, but then again ive been a tattooed bearded wooly hat wearing ugly fker since before most the new wave of hipsters were born…I’ll still look like a grumpy tramp when im old and decrepit, itstnot always a trend some folks just find a “bollox that’s comfortable” style and stick with it. Like outdoor types in ancient fleece jackets and fossilised brashers drinking from battered sig bottles

CountZero

While I’m familiar with Mason jars in the States, and using them to drink out of, among other uses, I’m afraid that the drinking out of jam jars in the UK was a phenomenon that had totally passed my notice.
    Perhaps it’s a thing in the faster-paced urban centres, it hasn’t yet filtered down to the drinking establishments in small North Wiltshire villages, where I habitually drink.
    And I’m far too hip to be a hipster, anyway… 😉

slowoldman

Like outdoor types in ancient fleece jackets and fossilised brashers drinking from battered sig bottles

Well apart from the Brashers… 🙄

grum
    Free Member

Wow I agree with tazzy – that must be a first! 🙂

JY – you could level the same accusation at pretty much every sub-culture/fashion movement throughout history, so it’s a bit of a redundant point.

And it’s quite a stretch to claim that saying that sneering at people is bad is the same as sneering at people. And yes I’ve probably been guilty of it in the past.

matt_outandabout

slowoldman – Member
    Like outdoor types in ancient fleece jackets and fossilised brashers drinking from battered sig bottles

Whats the difference between an outdoory and a sheep?

The sheep only has one fleece.

slowoldman

Bum Tish. They do have shittier arses too – generally. The sheep that is.

Northwind

I never really understand why anyone would drink out of anything but the skulls of their vanquished enemies.

But, I remember seeing Mat Hoffman drinking out of a jam jar, therefore, it’s OK.

imnotverygood

Look at these hipsters, and their full heads of hair and all their teeth. Hanging out in coffee shops with their laptops and phones planning which club or band to go and watch. Probably full of girls too. Hipster girls. Drinking out of jam jars. What a dreadful state of affairs. Not like when I was a lad and my mum got all my clothes at C&A”

Nope, as I said before, live & let live. We have all been guilty of following fashion to a degree & may have looked a bit ridiculous. Especially when we are younger… I just think they come across as insufferably smug, prissy and unbearably pretentious in the way they express their fashion. Sorry!

oldgit
    Free Member

I guess a jam jar next to your lap top, is like having a gonk next to your sinclair back in the day.

mark90
    Free Member

Just remember to tip the nails out first

Junkyard
    Free Member

you could level the same accusation at pretty much every sub-culture/fashion movement throughout history,

True which is why I, largely, avoided them
    Like Taz I occasionally found I had stumbled into one one had stumbled into me but it was always a fluke rather than active effort on my part.

Personally just find it a little contrived but that may well be my view of fashion or a result of my age/cynicism.

CountZero

@mark90 – I thought of Gibbs and his habit of tipping the nails out of a jar then putting whiskey into it, but didn’t get round to finding a photo.
    I suppose the added iron could be beneficial to the drinkers health…

cliffyc
    Free Member

@mark90,ironic too considering that Gibbs tips nails out of the jar,drink enough and you too get hammered!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Hipsters and jam jars’ is closed to new replies.