Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hip protectors
  • whitestone
    Free Member

Does anyone use hip protectors? If so which ones?

I’ve a replacement hip and last week in the alps I was more than conscious of falling on to that side – a bit awkward on a technical descent where there’s a big drop on the other side!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had some in some Dainese shorts.

My dad just fell on his new hip replacement, at 10 weeks in, doing nothing very exciting. To say this recovery is a little tougher is an understatement.

xiphon
    Free Member

I think I might have some Dianese shorts around somewhere, with hip padding, you can have for the cost of postage + promise of donation to North West Air Ambulance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh and the hip isn’t the place it will snap

whitestone
    Free Member

@xiphon What size are they? I’m 31″ waist so borderline M/L

@mikewsmith: Ouch! I feel for him. I’ve only fallen gently on to the new hip once (soft ground fortunately) and I was very conscious of any unusual sensation on that side. This was 18 months post-op. Hope he gets well.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Hip protectors?

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve been outed! At least you can’t see my brown corduroy trousers in that shot 😛

rocketman
    Free Member

Have got some Race Face Flank undershorts with D30 some One Industries EXOs and several baggies with hip inserts

Depends what you’re looking for the D30 works well but is totally non-breathable. The baggies have various foam and honeycomb bits that take the sting out of a fall but they won’t prevent broken bones

Northwind

I’ve got a bit of metal still in my hip from when I broke it… Not exactly the same thing but similiar I think, partly I want to protect that leg from further injury, partly it just hurts like a bastard if I fall on it as the bolt heads are a bit sticky out.

I never really found anything I was totally happy with though… 661 Bomber Evo are really good for riding in but the pads aren’t really in the right place for the upper femur. The protection’s probably good, it’s just not quite where I want it. Still, I think they could help and they let me ride like normal. The standard bombers have more complete protection but are much sweatier and a bit more invasive in general so not so nice to ride in.

POC’s shorts seemed really good but have a tiny wee nonremovable chamois which I hated.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s more taking the sting out of a fall, I’m no downhill god. Any body armour is only going to be limited in how much protection it offers – if the protection is too strong then it just shifts where any real damage occurs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hip protectors’ is closed to new replies.