Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • hip arthroscopy and repeat surgery questions
  • karnali
    Free Member

Hi I hap a hip arthroscopy in 2014 with some cartlidge sewn up, some removed, a bit that fell out of the socket and also some re shaping of the femeral head. Been ok since the op with a little pain now and then but manageable, however last couple of weeks acute pain, been to physio who is certain that i either have another tear or somethin in the joint to cause the pain i’m having.

I can see the original surgeon, who told me post op that my arthritis was worse when he operated than the scans showed before and that I will need a new hip at some stage, an get an initial consulation with him earliest towards end of june, or I cna use a different consultant that the physio normally refers to and see him in about 10 days.

those that know is it worth hanging on to see the original consultant surgeon, or is he unlikely to remember anything about my hip apart from from his notes.

Anything else to consider in the process.

ta

Bunnyhop

Is it possible to see both, I realise its not in the order that you need though?

karnali
    Free Member

probably not as both are a 1.5 hours drive from home and the first consultation is private so would double costs and time off work.

anagallis_arvensis

I doubt he will remember much. Is the new one a completely different team?
    I have had 2 surgeons do my 3 hip scopes. More recent ones have had a much more rapid recovery programme.
    Where abouts are you?

karnali
    Free Member

I’m in cumbria

and the first one was done by one of the wrightington team the other option is a chap in hexham both seem to have good reputations

anagallis_arvensis

Got mine done in Reading. Have they considered a steriod injection, have settled mine after flare ups of pain. Might be worth a try.

karnali
    Free Member

I think it may be offered from hexham as i have a friend in same boat on first failed and have offered this. Did 2nd and 3 ops ease pain u had?

duncancallum

Who at wrighington? Mr Shah is my surgeon

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve had two ops on left and one on right first was about 8 ir 9 years ago couldnt ride at all for about 4 or 5 years. Can now do a few hours twice a week so not too bad. Always have a nagging doubt that every ride might be my last though.

shermer75
    Free Member

Two months is a long time you wait if you are in considerable pain and inconvenience. Have they given you an idea of how long the wait is for the op following the initial consultation?

You may gain some peace of mind from seeing the original consultant again but it might not be worth 50 days of pain!

karnali
    Free Member

Tim board was original surgeon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘hip arthroscopy and repeat surgery questions’ is closed to new replies.