Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • hip arthritis!!!
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

iv just been told i have arthritis in my hip and at 31 im pretty gutted!!
    is there any of you on here that rides with it, at the moment i dont feel that much pai while riding but im just thinking about the future.

cheers

chris

scaredypants

someone on here has had a birmingham hip op recently I think and a mate of mine had the same, aged about 40 – he’s a bit of a roadie but was managing that just fine afterwards

(whoever the “someone” is, apologies – I never did hear back from him on specifics)

duckman

Yup I have it,at 42 and only stopping the rugby at 39. Good and bad.Sometimes I will spend two days in the hills with no soreness,and sometimes walking back from the train is painful.

duntstick
    Free Member

Mine started ‘clunking’ on long walks on the downhill sections at about that age.

43 now. I do less walking/scrambling. Hasn’t got any worse.

Cycling helps build muscle up. Doesn’t affect riding.

Ibuprofen is your friend.

wwaswas

I broke my hip about 8 years ago (at 35) and have been expecting this to start in me at some point.

cod liver oil was recommended to me as a joint lubricant but I don’t think it’s a ‘solution’ as such.

mav12
    Free Member

try devils claw from holland and brrett eases mine when it gets bad

got some arthrotec from the doctor which worked well but not good to take long term

ski
    Free Member

Guys, what is the pain like, sorry, I mean what type of pain is it? & do you find cycling/exercise helps?

duntstick
    Free Member

Moderate, bearable pain for me, but I know when it’s time to stop or rest.

The ‘clunk’ sound resonates through my body and I can hear it in my head.
    My partner also can hear it walking alongside.

I asked her to to put her hand on my hip and she was quite shocked at the ‘clunk’.

Cycling definitely helps. The fitter I am the less it occurs.

cubemeup
    Free Member

as long as i can ride my bike i will take the pain.
    mine was caused from rugby plus iv had a few knee ops which hasnt helped!

cubemeup
    Free Member

cubemeup
    Free Member

ski
    Free Member

OK, thanks duntstick, the reason I ask, is that I get a mild hip pain if I stop cycling or exercise for more than a couple of days.

Only lasts a day or two, but its painful to walk on, fine if sit down, weird thing is, if I start cycling again or playing sport (Hockey & squash) the pain goes and have no problems?

42 btw, prob. just a age thing 😉

duntstick
    Free Member

x3

St Vitus aswell Cubemeup. sheesh. you got it bad fellah…….. 😀

sofaking
    Free Member

i was diagnosed with it a few months ago. 40 soon.
    dull aching pain for me, kind of like a groin strain but on the outside of my hip.
    cycling doesnt seem to make it worse in fact it seems worse if i am off the bike for too long.
    same as above some days/weekends i do loads of walking biking and its fine, but then another day getting in the car could set it off aching for a while.
    doctor advised me to exercise and keep my weight down . just dont do stuff that is makes it ache .

also told me singlespeeding is a no no ……….but what does he know 😕

cubemeup
    Free Member

ski, i would go and see about it, just get an xray, thats how it was with me two years ago now i struggle to put my shoes on!!

wwaswas

ski – I have this in the hip I broke – the longer I don’t exercise the worse it gets. It does occasionally ‘seize up’ on long car journeys and I have pronounced limp for the first few hundered yards walking. I assume it’s just the tendons/muscles that have scar tissue on them sortign themselves out.

I don;t think sitting at a desk all day helps, though.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Ditto – broke my hip 13yrs ago, it rarely causes me any trouble but if I go for longer than a week without any real exercise then it can be a bit achey when I’m sitting on it. It’s the perfect motivation for cycling more!

Not looking forward to a possible clunk – that sounds nasty.

ski
    Free Member

ski, i would go and see about it

ok will do, cannot hurt to get checked out once in a while 😉

My Dad had both his hip joints replaced in his 50’s & again in his 60,s, he put it down to marching in bad footwear in the force & play Hockey for too long.

But I guess it could be something hereditary.

D28boy
    Free Member

I used to run for a club& had a long standing niggling pain which got worse over a long period of time. Eventually couldn’t run becoz of it. Went to Doc’s got x-ray’d now I don’t run. Both hips have osteo-arthritis with the right one being bad enough for surgery but @ 48 I’m too young to have it. So I took up biking & have found that it gives me no problems & if anything actually improves things as I believe it mobilizes the joint without the impact damage. Reading this makes me feel slighly less sorry for myself when I look @ some of the ages mentioned. To think I took up running for fitness is quite ironic really!

kudos100
    Free Member

glucosamine, chondroitin and fish oil supplements + resistance training are things that will help.

cubemeup
    Free Member

what resistance training can you do for it?

rb
    Free Member

I was diagnosed with rhumatoid arthritis when i 27 which was when i took up mtb again
    That was 5 years ago i love riding some days its realy good
    and some times its bad times but dont let it stop you doing
    what you want to do

mattstreet

33 now and was diagnosed about 5 years ago with hip dysplasia – after having ‘clunked’ for a while and experiencing a fair bit of discomfort. Result is osteoarthritis and a double hip replacement on the cards when I get to my 40s.

Cycling definitely helps with the pain (although I think discomfort is a better word at the mo) – keeping the joint mobile and supporting muscles strong. Also find climbing helps as it keeps things flexible. But anything that involves impact, like running, is a big no-no. Asked the Doc if there was anything I ought to do/avoid and he said I’d know – can’t argue with that really!

Have tried glucosamine, etc, but can’t say I noticed any benefit. I do find fish oils helps – could be placebo, but hey, it helps!

jonnyv
    Free Member

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips at 33 ( I’m now 46) the right was the worst.tried all the potions but found eating well slight moderation on booze helped,it is painful but I thought sod it I’m going to get on with life and the things I like doing and try not to think about it too much.I think biking really helps.when it gets really bad I use glucosamine ( not the cheap stuff) my two pennies,keep riding,when it hurts a lot stop for a bit then start again when it hurts a bit less I reckon.watch out for anti inflammatory stuff mucks up the stomach.

jonnyv
    Free Member

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hips at 33 ( I’m now 46) the right was the worst.tried all the potions but found eating well slight moderation on booze helped,it is painful but I thought sod it I’m going to get on with life and the things I like doing and try not to think about it too much.I think biking really helps.when it gets really bad I use glucosamine ( not the cheap stuff) my two pennies,keep riding,when it hurts a lot stop for a bit then start again when it hurts a bit less I reckon.watch out for anti inflammatory stuff mucks up the stomach.

elaineanne
    Free Member

accupuncture ? duno it mite help ?…. im currently having accupuncture for my neck and shoulder…. you have to go a few times before you see any improvements… about 7 week wait on the n.h.s i believe , but for me it took 12 weeks due to administration cock-ups !… 😉

jeb

Hello

i suffered, from whiplash, 6 month with major light sensitivity(could not go out in broad daylight!) 2 treatments of chiropractor took care of that, had/have candida, but the bottom line, is i just kept on googling my disease, and found the answers on the net… my gp was no use at all, so go search, try fx the site “curezone”

Cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

kudos100 – Member

glucosamine, chondroitin and fish oil supplements + resistance training are things that will help.

No effect found in proper studies. Can’t do any harm and lots of anecdotes.

Another one is cutting out on dairy – some folk swear by it

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘hip arthritis!!!’ is closed to new replies.