Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hints and tips for a go pro newbie
  • DT78
    Free Member

I’ve picked up a go pro sessions 4 for Xmas.

I have Amazon vouchers for mounts and stuff. What do you recommend? For filming on the mtb and road and on hols with my 6 month old.

Also what apps or software are good for editing and creating short vids?

whitestone
    Free Member

Get this bundle http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deyard-ZG-634-Accessories-Premium-Session/dp/B00KU70F5S/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1451294451&sr=8-9&keywords=gopro With the chest mount, do it up really tight otherwise you get lots of bouncing around.

Video editing S/W: If you are on a Mac then there’s iMovie. No doubt there’s similar free/bundled S/W with Linux and Windows. With video editing you need lots of memory and a fast disk drive, ideally SSD, so while you can do it on a tablet it’s going to be really, really slow. Lots of tutorials on the web but generally: keep it short; don’t use the fancy effects in the S/W; don’t rip off music for a backing track

DT78
    Free Member

That seems very cheap compared to the go pro branded stuff, is the quality okay?

I have an iPad, but also a relatively new laptop, probably not super fast but hopefully will be adequate.

whitestone
    Free Member

Seems fine for what I’ve used it for (bikepacking to alpine downhill)

You do need the fastest machine you can lay your hands on. The time intensive bits are copying from card to computer and then importing in to the SW. Allow anything up to a couple of hours for this. Editing time tends to be dominated by thinking about what to include but even so things can crawl if you try and do too much at once.

geoffj

One of the best bits of advice I received is edit remorselessly. Cut, cut and cut again – no one likes long dull videos of you or your kids.

DT78
    Free Member

Yep don’t plan to have any finished vids longer than a son.

What mounts do people use to attach to the bike?

windyg
    Free Member

Those accessory packs are fine, only other things I have added to my kit are a tripod and a mono grip but I am looking for a gimball mount for stability.
    Make sure you have decent class 10 memory cards.
    As above for MTB vids keep it short and fast, I could film for an hour but only end up with a 2min clip that will engage people, nobody is interested in long singletrack clips. Fancy effects are not needed at most I just use simple fades.
    It can be very time consuming if your PC is slow, you can easily end up with a lot of clips and this takes time exporting/converting.

isitafox
    Free Member

If you want something easy to use then go for Videopad on a PC/laptop. Really straightforward and doesn’t need loads of memory, definitely recommended!

andyfla
    Free Member

I bought various bits of kit for presents over xmas and I have to say that the go pro accessories are superbly made – much better than the generic ones we got

jakeyo1
    Free Member

He is a link to my channel, I have so many mounts for mountain biking, let me know which videos you like and I can explain the mounts and editing which were used.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNwUVscQnj2TRZ4IQ65xvSA

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Where are you looking to mount the camera? On the handlebars can get good results but can get pretty shakey footage. Chest mounts will give smoother footage but you need to experiment to make sure you don’t get long recordings of the sky of ground.

As for what to buy, just think of what angle you want to get then see if that mount is avaliable

mtbtom
    Free Member

If you’re wearing a full-face, on the side of the helmet (following the eyeline) is a nice compromise between on your chest (looks fast, but can be shaky) and on the top of the helmet (looks slow, but your neck / head absorbs a lot of vibration).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hints and tips for a go pro newbie’ is closed to new replies.