Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hilo issue
  • cjr61

Recently received a Hilo from eBay. Came well packaged with no air pressure left and stanchion completely compressed into the outer post.

Upside down, lever depressed pump up to 25psi. Turn right way up, cycle few times with lever depressed. Left for good half hour upright. Still a pogo stick!

I’m sure it’s something obvious but anything I’m missing? It doesn’t want to lock out or travel full travel.

Thanks

BoardinBob

Sorry do you mean it’s lowering by itself or its dropping when your weight is on it?

If it’s dropping when you sit on it then it’ll be the cable tension

cjr61

Thanks. Just set up with lever rather than remote. Waned to test it out first with lever then install properly later.

If I push it it goes down then comes back up – regardless of whether I have the lever pressed.so, only when weight is applied.

acidchunks

If it’s a bar mounted lever then check cable is tight enough to fully activate the mechanism. If slack then repeat. Shouldn’t need all that cycling though.

If the under seat lever is fitted and you know it’s fully activated when you pressurised, get in touch with the seller.

cjr61

Air/oil in the wrong places?

jamesoz

From what I remember they take a little while to settle down after re inflation, cycle it as if it’s working properly on the bike the correct way up.
    FWIW the Hilo is pretty easy to service at home without any special tools.

binners

From my experience with Hilo’s, I’d take it off, throw it in a pond, and buy something that actually works instead

They’re absolute shite! And don’t even bother trying to make a warranty claim, as their customer service is in the same vain as a particularly disgruntled drunk Frenchman

cjr61

Haha thanks Binners!

jamesoz

If it’s not leaking at the seal in the seat clamp area it should work fine once all the oil is where it should be.

cjr61

Sorted.

Thanks for all the help. Just took a little longer cycling.

molgrips
    Free Member

You have to turn it upside down and cycle it (with the valve open), to get the air into the end with the valve. Then you pump it up, put it the right way up and cycle it again with the valve open to get the oil back in the bottom where it belongs.

jamesoz

Jolly good, I found mine pretty good till I cracked it at 3 yrs old (not the posts fault).
    For future reference, if it’s not visibly leaking oil and starts acting up, then the internal valve might need a tap with a hammer/Allen key to re-seat it. Takes a few mins and very few tools.

cjr61

Thanks all. Cheers Jamesoz

peteimpreza

At jamesoz do you have a link to a guide how to do that re-seat process?

jamesoz

I don’t, it’s in the xfusion service vids somewhere.
    From memory
    With the air fill valve removed, the post compressed you should see the Allen bolt on the bottom of the valve. Give that a tap, seemed to fix mine.

If you pull one apart they really are simple inside.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hilo issue’ is closed to new replies.