Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Hills Near Bradford – Yorkshire Folk Help Needed
  • MrGrim

Hello,

I need some STW local knowledge. I’m working in Bradford today and staying overnight tonight. I don’t have the bike with me, but do have the car and running shoes.

Any good trails/hills within walking distance? If not, any recommendations within a 15-20 minute drive?

Cheers

grum
    Free Member

Lots in Calderdale but its a bit further to drive. I bet there’s some decent stuff nearer.

trout
    Free Member

Baildon and the shipley glenn should meet your requirements
    and is alternating between summer and winter every 10 mins today

craigxxl
    Free Member

Where in Bradford?

MrGrim

Thanks for the replies.

Craig – Just off Rooley Lane

woody2000

More info on location would be useful 🙂

Like Trout says, Shipley Glen is good for trail running and the like. I’d head to Roberts Park in Saltaire and go up the glen from there. Then go to the Boathouse and/or Fannys.

http://www.theboathouseinn.co.uk/

patriotpro
    Free Member

Head out to Ogden Reservoir, use ‘The Causeway Foot Inn’ for satnav purposes.

Head up towards the turbines from there or up over the moor.

Enjoy, there’s some good riding/walking/running to be had there.

woody2000

Our posts crossed

If you’re on Rooley Lane, maybe Fulneck woods would be nearer or even Bowling Park if you just want a run round. What type of terrain are you after?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Bowling Park is your doorstep but equal distance between Fulneck Woods and various woods and trails around Shelf.

Sancho
    Free Member

if youre running in Bradford just dont stop lol

globalti
    Free Member

You ARE going out for a beer and a curry tonight?

Beer: I recommend the New Beehive Inn: http://goo.gl/maps/yCNSn

Great selection of ales, scrubbed wood floors, gas lighting, fire in each room, real character.

Curry: The Kashmir on Morley Street: http://goo.gl/maps/Ghfp5 take a couple of cans of beer with you as no licence. Eat with your right hand and a chapatti.

theotherjonv

don’t do what i did. I was staying in the Hollins Hall at Baildon and thought a shortish run around part of the golf course would be a good idea. Up the first down the 4th, you can usually link up a few holes and then find your way to the 8th or 9th or 17th and 18th to find your way back.

i didn’t know it backed on to another golf course. At the ‘end’ of my run i found I was at another clubhouse and had another shortish run to get back again. this time against the clock so i could make a dinner meeting……… and this hills are unforgiving, up or down!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Shipley Glen is by far the nicest place in the area, but 30min ish drive from there after 7pm… Don’t even think about it before 7!

Don’t take anything valuable with you if running from Rooley Lane!

john_drummer
    Free Member

The stuff round Hollins Hall is ny local “from the doorstep” trails. Must remember to actually ride them some day

patriotpro
    Free Member

woody2000 – Member
    What type of terrain are you after?

MrGrim – Member
    Any good trails/hills

Don’t even think about it before 7!

They’re the most congested roads in Britain so good advice.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Actually it starts to ease off about 6.15

MrGrim

Lot’s of replies, thanks a lot.

Advice seems to be stay in the area and have curry and beer 😆

Will check out the Shipley Glen if not tonight then tomorrow morning first thing.

woody2000

Curry & beer, we have a winner 🙂

http://www.prashad.co.uk/

Enjoy!

grum
    Free Member

Prashad is awesome (or at least it was a few years ago).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

my favourite xc run is from Dick Hudson’s car park above Bingley, over Ilkley Moor to the far side (or the summit) and back again. It’s just a bit further on from Shipley Glen/baildon Moor.

djglover
    Free Member

Ilkley moor!! The north side has many many trails

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If your going to Shipley Glen in the morning, and then need to get back to the south side of Bradford, make sure you leave Baildon (Shipley Glen) no later than 7am, or it will take you approx 1hr to the M606. You can then add probably 1 1/2 hrs to Manchester, or 30-45 mins to the M1/M62 junction..

…traffic is great around here

john_drummer
    Free Member

I do baildon to Barnsley, setting off at around 7.20am. Half an hour max to m606. I’m often leaving the m62 westbound at j25 for 8am. Eastbound is a different kettle of fish though.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Shame just seen this, very local to me could have lent you a bike. if your around again feel free to get intouch. As mentioned bowling park was your best bet or theres a short circuit round richard dunns sport centre, it

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Hills Near Bradford – Yorkshire Folk Help Needed’ is closed to new replies.