• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Xan.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hill walking this Bankholiday weekend.
  • Xan
    Free Member

Heading out tomorrow or Monday for a wee day walking. Dont want to stray too far from Edinburgh (c30-40miles) Any suggestions. The 3 bretheren comes to mind. Looking to be out for max 6 hours. C'mon people inspire me!!

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

If you are going to the 3B take a bike. Ochils?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Trossachs? A bit further away perhaps

Xan
    Free Member

Done the 3 Brethern on the bike and loved it, but the other half wouldn't make it out the carpark on a bike lol. Trossachs and Ochils are both good ideas.

epicsteve
    Free Member

What about a full circuit of the Pentlands?

Ben Venue in the Trossachs is also a nice hill.

Xan
    Free Member

Ben Venue had been top of the list for this, but I'm not sure I have time cause would need to do alot of driving as I have plans on Friday night (Edinburgh to Arochar back to Edinburgh and then to Airdrie) but if I make it Monday it will be this one I am doing for sure.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Nice loop from Tillicoutry up Ben Cleuch.

Head up Mill Glen onto The Law, then to Ben Cleuch and round to Ben Ever. Down to Silver Glen and back through the woods. Pub at the bottom of Mill Glen. Steepish on the way up but very easy after. Mill Glen is interesting – waterfalls gorge etc. Ben Cleuch is the highest hill in the Ochils.

cheers

Xan
    Free Member

Nice loop from Tillicoutry up Ben Cleuch.

I really fancy the sound of this. Do you have any O/s references or online guides that I could get more info from? Is the route waymarked?

Xan
    Free Member

Ignore that last question, I was being lazy. I googled it and found loads of info. Thanks for that.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I can send you a map tonight.

You may want to buy the book "Walking in the Ochils, Campsie Fells and Lomond Hills" Published by Cicerone. You'll find one in Tiso, Blacks etc

Route isn't waymarked but is easy to follow – good paths all the way. The route is on these maps.

OS Landranger 57 (1:50,000)
    OS Landranger 58 (1:50,000) You need both!

OS Explorer 366 (1:25,000)

Harvey’s Map – Ochil Hills (1:25,000)

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

How about a trip into the lomond hills? Also, if you look in that cicerone guide closely enough you will see a certain GLuptons name in there somewhere.

Xan
    Free Member

I can send you a map tonight.

that would be great thanks. If you can send to paulxan(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hill walking this Bankholiday weekend.’ is closed to new replies.