Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Highways Agency?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Coming up the M6 today, travelling at exactly 70mph (according to sat-nav) in the left-hand lane.

Noticed an HA vehicle, similar to a Navarra, doing well over 70 in the right-hand lane. I’d estimate his speed between 80 and 85.

Also noticed him driving fairly close to a vehicle in the same lane; not close enough to be considered tailgating, but certainly close enough to be hinting that he wanted past.

They’re allowed to do this now?

Drac

No.

deluded
    Free Member

They are not allowed to exceed the speed limit in any circumstances AFAIK.

project
    Free Member

He was ovetaking you, or going to the site of a collision etc.

or just an idiot driving a company van, paid for out of taxes.

codybrennan
    Free Member

We scanned the road for the next 40 or so miles- no collisions or accidents to be seen.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just some bloke speeding in a company vehicle.

Not that rare I wouldn’t think.

project
    Free Member

Just ruing the Highways agency and complain

Drac

going to the site of a collision etc.

They still can’t speed.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

kevj
    Free Member

I am prepared to be wrong on this one. I was once told that the only vehicles which can legally break the speed limit have dispensation from the queen and are duly painted red.

Fire engines are the first for obvious reasons and the second, wait for it, are post office vehicles, delivering the queens mail.

In the reality of the today’s age, I suspect this is utter tosh, but it is apparently one of those old laws which has not yet been changed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..post office vehicles, delivering the queens mail.

Post Office bicycles are painted red too……they also have special dispensation from Her Majesty to break the speed limit.

Drac

In the reality of the today’s age, I suspect this is utter tosh, but it is apparently one of those old laws which has not yet been changed.

You’re wrong but nice story.

nealglover
    Free Member

I am prepared to be wrong on this one. I was once told that the only vehicles which can legally break the speed limit have dispensation from the queen and are duly painted red.
    Fire engines are the first for obvious reasons and the second, wait for it, are post office vehicles, delivering the queens mail.

On QI, I think the Sirens would be sounding quite loudly 😉

kevj
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

On QI, I think the Sirens would be sounding quite loudly

Ok ok, 😀

I did say I am prepared to be wrong! One if those urban myths I didn’t check on. Ho hum 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hold the front page!

Man in car breaks speed limit, another man in a different car gets all huffy about it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, nothing wrong with breaking the law, apparently. I assume he was aiming for “speeds that would make your eyes bleed” so he could boast about it somewhere.

Asshat.

kevj
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Post Office bicycles are painted red too……they also have special dispensation from Her Majesty to break the speed limit.

I’m pleased you are on my side 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And once more CFH cannot resist a personal insult.

you really have lost it CFH. you used to be funny. Now – an offensive obsessive sanctimonious twerp

I have reported you. I got banned for a week for less. lets see if the mods are even handed.

Kuco

Why not complain to the HA?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ, the Asshat in question was from the Highways Agency.

Boasting about speeding, however? Well, I’ll leave that up to you to decide.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – bullshit.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m sure we’ll see someone come along to defend this type of activity. I am surprised that the Navarra can reach these kinds of speeds though, still cockish behaviour.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Actually TJ, if anyone was getting personal I’d say:

“Man in car breaks speed limit, another man in a different car gets all huffy about it.”

…it was you.

I wasn’t huffy at all, just curious.

Maybe you need to chill a wee bit?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

My mate who is a traffic cop took great pride in doing one of those guys for speeding.
    He was on his way to an RTA in an unmarked BMW & apparently the Wombles flashed him to move over..
    He just waited till they all met up at the RTA, then had a quiet word.
    😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I have reported you.

Why? 😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

or just an idiot driving a company van pretending to be a traffic policeman, paid for out of taxes.in a pointless fake 4×4 when a van would be better and cheaper

peterfile
    Free Member

one of those old laws which has not yet been changed.

Desuetude – one of my favourite words. Don’t get to use it too often mind you 🙂

althepal

But it’s supposed to look like a cop car because there’s so few of them actually patrolling our roads these days!
    Like an automotive equivalent of a community support officer- at first glance in passing you’d be fooled (possibly) but if you look for more than 5 secs you see through the maskirova..

crispo
    Free Member

in a pointless fake 4×4 when a van would be better and cheaper

I dont get what is fake about a Navara as a 4×4?

The same could be said about a lot of police vehicles to with regards to there being a better cheaper alternative for what theyre driving.

althepal

Thankfully the traffic cops still seem to value reliability and quality when procuring new vehicles, unlike the Ambulance service up here- I mean Peugeot van conversions- FFS!

Drac

Thankfully the traffic cops still seem to value reliability and quality when procuring new vehicles, unlike the Ambulance service up here- I mean Peugeot van conversions- FFS!

Sadly we don’t get the same discounts that Police get on new vehicles, some services buy through the Police or Military to get the discounts they do. Then there’s the ambulance services buying together in a job lot to get discount on Sprinters, some opted out of this and well you can see what has happened.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have no problem with the traffic wombles having 4x4s. If they need to tow a big vehicle out of the way quickly, which they might, then that’s a perfectly valid vehicle to use.

When they go all lights-a-blazing and close lanes of a motorway just because someone has a flat, now that’s a different matter…! Grrrr.

zokes
    Free Member

I got banned for a week for less.

I got banned once for two days for insinuating that you were an idiot, and that was despite you presenting plenty evidence on a daily basis to demonstrate the truth behind that insinuation 😉

crispo
    Free Member

When they go all lights-a-blazing and close lanes of a motorway just because someone has a flat, now that’s a different matter…! Grrrr.

Safety tho innit.

Vehicle might have got a drivers side flat on a bit of hard shoulder that is too narrow to safely change it otherwise.
    We had 2 guys killed by a lorry that side swiped them when doing exactly that just last year.

Cougar

Back to the OP,

It raises an interesting question. Who, exactly, is allowed to break the limits, and under what circumstances?

I was under the impression that the only time anyone was allowed to speed was with blues & twos going (or accompanied by same). Is that not the case?

v8ninety

In answer to cougar’s question;

By virtue of s.87 of the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 (as amended by the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005), no statutory provision imposing a speed limit on motor vehicles shall apply to any vehicle on an occasion when it is being used for fire, ambulance or police purposes, or for Serious Crime Agency purposes (including driver training) if the observance of that provision will be likely to hinder the use of the vehicle for the purpose for which it is being used on that occasion.

bruneep

We have to provide names of drivers if they flash speed cameras when going to a shout. No action is taken but we still have to provide the name.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What v8ninety quoted, plus lights and sirens are at the discretion of the driver.

Drac

plus lights and sirens are at the discretion of the driver.

Not for us if on an Emergency we’re to have the lights and siren on at all times, trust policy.

They gave up chasing up if Ambulances up here and many more areas that have gone through speed cameras wasn’t worth the effort.

v8ninety

lights and sirens are at the discretion of the driver.

Legally, certainly, however Brigade/Trust policy usually dictates their use unless specifically directed otherwise. (not talking about police, I would imagine that driver discretion is the rule there; enough rope and hanging springs to mind)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Highways Agency?’ is closed to new replies.