Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hightop shoes for flat pedals
  • kiksy
    Free Member

Been using hightop skate shoes for a while, I really like the extra padding it gives against the cranks.

I looked at Five Tens a while back but thought they were a bit pricey, so stuck with some DCs for £20. Last night realised after only about 4 month use that the DCs soles were separating.

Had a look around online, and it now seems the only hightop Five Ten is the super clompy looking Impact 2.

So, anyone know any good hightop alternatives? I’m looking for winter pedal grip as highest priority.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not as grippy as 5-10s but grippy enough and with a stiffer sole – which I like…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sombrio-shazam-mid-top-shoes/rp-prod114746?gs=1&gclid=COWCyZzo9sgCFWnkwgodVwEKmw&gclsrc=aw.ds

nedrapier

only hightop Five Ten is

Incorrect!

Blue suede shoes, sir?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shimano and Spesh shoes have a raised inner cuff that’s pretty good as crank protection.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I like Globe Superfly, been using them on and off for a while. They hold up quite well IMO. Can pick them up cheap if you shop round.

kiksy
    Free Member

Blue suede shoes, sir?

I did see those, they are under the ‘Dirt’ category so wasn’t sure how suitable they’d be for mountain biking?

Those Sombrios Shazams looks pretty perfect, so do the Loams. Reviews all seem positive too.

RustySpanner

Do you have to pay extra for the revolving bow tie?

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve got Dirtbags on right now. They’re not blue, but I wouldn’t ride my bike in them. Definitely not really what you’re after I suspect.

RustySpanner

Actually, those Sombrios look really good, colour apart.

On the subject of repulsive footwear, I’m currently rocking my last stockpiled, dirt cheap pair of these:

MP90’s – ugliest yet best ever MTB shoes.
    Sniff.
    Perfect for the op too, raised ankle padding works well.

Tracey

Kevin has been using Five Ten Line Kings for years, you may need to shop around to find them but he says they are first class.

Abigale has a pair of these

RobHilton
    Free Member

Shazamzs are pretty good – I prefer them to the clumpy 5:10s. Not in that **** colour though 😀

nedrapier

jonathan – why not?

Firstly why wouldn’t you, and secondly the OP has said he’s happy with skate style shoes, as long as they stay together. These do, and they’ve got a grippy sole to boot (eh?! 😀 )

I’ve had a few pairs of the low top versions as my only riding shoes for a few years. They get wet when it rains. But the mud brushes off them OK. Depending how you ride, the sole will likely be trashed before the suede.

Not much protection from flying rocks, but same goes for other shoes than these.

The Line King looks good for a high-top bootshoe as well. The top 2 anyway!

RobHilton
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member

… mother shoes

Good Freudian slit there :mrgreen:

kiksy
    Free Member

The Line King was what I was looking at earlier in the year. Seems they are discontinued now and impossible to find in my size.

sharkattack

Giro Jacket

LINK

I haven’t used them yet but they’re next on my hit list.

Tracey

Depending on the colour they are still out there to be had, Kevin got his last pair, the brown ones, from America earlier this year and with the postage and exchange rate was very reasonable
    All terrain Cycles were showing different versions of the Freerider hightops in black or maroon as well as the Line Kings when he was looking

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good Freudian slit there

Perfection.

jonathan
    Free Member

jonathan – why not?

I guess they’d do the job, and the soles are definitely sticky, but I haven’t found them very robust and you get wet toes as soon as they sniff dewy grass.

aracer
    Free Member

Shimano AM41s have the ankle protection you’re after – it’s just on the inside rather than all round, so doesn’t protect your ankle in other ways (IMHO that sort of ankle protection is over-rated though). Shame Teva stopped making the Links – I have some of their hi-tops and they’re ace.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Northwind

The old Shazam came in rather dapper black and white (with a mesh toe to guarantee maximum foot-wetness) and a kind of disgusting purpley grey, which has a pretty waterproof toe and so is a fantastic winter shoe. Not sure about these new ones, I love the colour though, because I’m tasteless.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is there not a new Adidas MTB shoe that’s high top IIRC?.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

There are a few pairs of teva Links Mid on ebay, not many sizes though but worth a look as I really like mine.

kiksy
    Free Member

Is there not a new Adidas MTB shoe that’s high top IIRC?.

I had a look at the Adidas Stealth soled shoes, but they all seemed like freerunning jobs rather than MTB.

Ordered the Shazams in the end. They look like they’re going to fit the bill nicely. Cheers for all the suggestions.

vincienup
    Free Member

When my Links mid finally give out I’ll be interested too.

I’ve got some five ten impact lows and the sole is great but the rest of the shoe kind of sucks by comparison.

I’ve almost resigned to the idea that I want a shoe no one makes any more…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

There are a few pairs of teva Links Mid on ebay, not many sizes though but worth a look as I really like mine.

TK Maxx were clearing them out for £30 or less, might be worth checking your local store if they have any in stock (I got mine online).

aracer
    Free Member

I got mine from TK Maxx, but that was quite a long time ago, though having small feet I’ve found a source online as a result of this thread, so thinking of getting I’ve just ordered another pair (well kind of, the ones I’ve found are half a size larger than what I have which are a tiny bit tight).

mindmap3
    Free Member

If the sole is like the none-mid verisons, I wouldn’t touch them.

I bought some Links and they have to be the least grippy riding shoes I’ve ever had. The soles are too thick as well, so I can’t feel anything.

My Freeriders are loads better grip wise but soak up water like. I have some Giron shoes that seem to be good compromise.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hightop shoes for flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.