Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Highland Roadie Trip- Best Biking, Beer & Grub
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

A lack of cheap accomodation on our chosen dates means I am looking to an alternative to Glencoe for a roadie weekend, which is unfortunate as the riding is decent, hostel cheap and cheerful and Clachaig ever legendary.

Where would you suggest as an alternative? Ideally within 3 hours of the central belt (thus ruling out Applecross, sadly).

iainc

We did a Mull road weekend earlier in the summer. Ferry over from Oban sat morn, big figure of 8 loop with an overnight in tobermory. Lovely riding and quiet roads too.

Spin
    Free Member

If you want good road riding, good beer and grub within 3hrs of Central Scotland then I’d be heading for Yorkshire!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Haha, nice thought Spin but some of the group have a week in the Highlands straight after the boys weekend, so needs to be North of the central belt, or they have an awful long drive!

Will look into Mull.

scotroutes

Based at or near Fort William you would have lots of excellent roads out in Morvern/Moidart/Sunart/Ardgour area including Ardnamurchan or a loop out past Cluanie and over Mam Ratagan to Glenelg, returning via Mallaig.

3 hours driving would also get you to Inverness which would would give you lots of alternatives out to the west and the Black Isle.

CraigW
    Free Member

Deeside area has some nice roads, not too busy. With some big climbs if you want, eg Glenshee and the Lecht. There’s hostels in Braemar or Ballater.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Funnily enough we were just discussing Deeside though I don’t know much about either town, ironic since I used to live an hour away. Given the riding is similar from each, which is best for nightlife (by which I mean epic grub and a fine selection of real ales)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Highland Roadie Trip- Best Biking, Beer & Grub’ is closed to new replies.