Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • High(ish) volume gravel/touring tyres for Mavic Open Pros
  • troberts1994
    Free Member

Building up a Cross Check gravel tourer and I’ve got a set of Mavic Open Pros I want to use as part of the build. I bought a set of 40c Schwalbe Land Cruisers because they were dirt cheap but after fitting them on the open pros they’re a bit wobbly! Not sure if I’m keen to ride them tbh. Can anyone advise me on some high volume tyres that sit nicely on open pros?

Ta!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Soap your beads.

dovebiker

Open Pros are pretty narrow – my attempts at getting anything over 35mm wide to work were unsuccessful, the tyre bead kept coming off the rim. A stiff-walled tyre like a Landcruiser won’t help matters.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I sort of think you maybe pushing your luck. Open pros are narrow by today’s standard and as said fitting a wider stiff tyre won’t help. I also think you are going the wrong way. Why pick such an aggressive tyre for road and gravel? Gravel doesnt need tread part from the fact that treaded tyres provide thicker rubber. Use some puncture protected touring tyres, with if you want, a touch a edge pattern. I have done 4000 miles a year or more on gravel in the last 8 years and I have never, I am sure, missed tread. Slippery off cambered grass is a different thing of course! These tyres may well be a but more flexible is you look for folding beads. Never went above 38mm on the Pros though and that seemed a but, I don’t know, wobbly?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘High(ish) volume gravel/touring tyres for Mavic Open Pros’ is closed to new replies.