Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • High Street ride in the Lakes – how long?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

off there tomorrow but wondering how long I should allow?

37 km

this one

tracklog linky clicky

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cant remember it's so long since I did it. It's one of those rides you have to do if you consider yourself a MTB'er.
    It's crap though.

tragically1969
    Free Member

It looks like at first glance that it misses out Boredale on the way back, best bit of the ride really. The Lakes guide book High Street route is worth doing, i dont think the one in that link would be.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

oh crap. now I just have to do it to see if it is pants….

tragically1969
    Free Member

The first few miles are not really that rideable either so its a push\carry, sorry.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Kentmere then? any better?

Max
    Free Member

4-6 hours probably. Good mountain route especially whilst it's dry – do the ullswater path towards the end of the day and it might be more clear of walkers. Have a goodun

jcromton
    Free Member

I did high st and Helvellyn in 9 hours. I'd say 5 hours for High Street.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

4-6 hours as Max says,best done in frosty or dry weather (now),Take plenty of food and water though,theres more climbing than you think!,When you say Kentmere i think your meaning the Bridleway to Nan Bield,theres no advatage here its a lot further and from the top its a rocky pitched footpath anyway.

I prefer it from south to north doing the Higher Ullswater Lakeshore singletrack on the return for an even longer day out,enjoy 😉

snowpaul
    Free Member

I like High street – chuck in the ullswater s/traxk for added smiles… I LOVE helvellyn too – plus ullswater s/track !!!

paul

anc
    Free Member

Its super dry at the moment and running fast. It took 3.15hrs week last sunday. Great ride when its in that condition.

lowey

Luke, you might want to consider having a "navigational malfunction" and take the path up past Angle Tarn rather than carrying up the Knot from Hayeswater.

Would be the best time to do it at the moment as it would probably be dry, otherwise it isnt much fun, as mentioned above, a ride to tick a box. Much better stuff in the area IMO.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's crap though.

I always laugh about that when we do it :o) It SO isn't 🙂

elliptic
    Free Member

Another (better) option for the start: ride over the Kirkstone Pass to Troutback then up the valley and onto Thornthwaite Beacon (obvious bridleways shown on the OS map) & continue along High Street.

The ride along the valley is a lovely start, then 45 minute push/carry up the steepo bit. It's a bigger day out but more rideable than the Hartsop start and much more satisfying doing the full length of the Roman road instead of doubling back from High Street.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

& continue along High Street.

and then beam back to Troutbeck ?? Kirkstone is easy on the south side but climbing the north side when already tired is dreadful, particularly with cars blatting past 🙁

elliptic
    Free Member

and then beam back to Troutbeck ?? Kirkstone is easy on the south side but climbing the north side when already tired is dreadful, particularly with cars blatting past

No, start at Hartsop or Brotherswater and do the pass first.

Alhough when I was young and fit and lived in Ambleside I used to ride over Skelghyll Woods to Troutbeck, then High Street all the way to Loadpot, back over Boredale Hause and finally the Kirkstone to get home.

*That* was a proper afternoon out. 😉

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

I did the 'full' south – north route as suggested by elliptic last year. Excellent day out! :)))

I started at Troutbeck to save my energy for the Ullswater lakeside rockfest and finish on the non-technical grind over Kirkstone when tired.

Cheers
    Paul

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Another "Navigational Malfunction" Via Ill Bell,Yoke, and Garburn. 😉

twinklydave

Took me and a "not amazingly fit" mate 5 hours, including a lot of food stops and getting bothered by walkers on the track round Ullswater (which I think is the best bit…apart from the views higher up!)

Garmin geek tech data

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Well I had a great ride and it wasn't crap at all. Tiring though and I ran out of water and food so was on empty for the last few miles..

Amazing scenery and the weather was bone dry, very hot, wonderful. Plenty of pushing up hill though but worth it.

There were too many walkers on the Ullswater track but most were decent enough not to soil things.

antigee

great pics and thnks for update – get a littl p'eed off with the whole its a thread and it is now thing and no updates
    ps and the angle tarn? shot is a cracker

yetiguy
    Free Member

so how long did it take you?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yeti guy, it took me about 4 and a half hours.

Satisfactorily tiring ride mixed in with some photography en route

Not Angle Tarn antigee, its Hayeswater. Stunning at that time of the morning.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yeti guy, it took me about 4 and a half hours.

Satisfactorily tiring ride mixed in with some photography en route

Not Angle Tarn antigee, its Hayeswater. Stunning at that time of the morning.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I always laugh about that when we do it :o) It SO isn't

Is too!
    Maybe we picked a bad day. Carry up the Knott, pedal down soggy grass avoiding zillions of walkers down to Howtown. Dunno about now but then (1992-3) the bridleway alongside Ullswater back to Patterdale was virtually unrideable & we pushed/carried most of it.
    Views were nice though.
    Some scanned photo's….

Last one's funny. It was the first time any of us had used SPD's & Mark came a cropper on the beck crossing at Howtown, I missed it on camera so he did a 'replay'.

clareymorris

EGFuttock – maybe try it again now you have got used to SPD's and actually have nore than 1" front travel!!!!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘High Street ride in the Lakes – how long?’ is closed to new replies.