• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • High sleeper bunk/loft bed – advice please
  • eemy
    Free Member

Our eldest (9) wants a high sleeper bunk bed – like a normal bunk bed but with no bottom bunk and instead a ‘study’ or sitting area beneath the bed. I’ve been looking online and the options either look a bit flimsy and/or expensive.

If anyone has any recommendations I’d appreciate it. Also, I’d it’d be good if the bunk width was closer to 140cm than the standard 90cm single.

marvinpines
    Free Member

IKEA Tromso FTW! I’ve had the two bunk version for over 10 years, sturdy as a sturdy thing…
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90179786/

kcal

We have a John Lewis metal framed affair. Bought for my lad when he was I think 5 – he still has it and he’s 16 now!!

It’s got a kind of fold-out futon thing and a study desk. Now can’t see it online, may no longer be produced.

hs125
    Free Member

We had one and it served us well for years. A good option for giving you more useable room in a bedroom. Check out the height of the bed compared to your ceilings. When your child gets taller, wakes up, sits up and cracks their head on the ceiling, you need to consider something else.

kcal

Update to mine – recalled it was/is a Jay-Be bed – study bed I think – but no longer listed on their site 🙁

Exactly like this one —
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jay-Be-High-Sleeper-Bed-with-Desk-and-Futon-Chair-Bed-/161201631686

tonyd

We got our eldest a mid sleeper for his first big boy bed as his room at the time was very small. It was a scallywag something or other, pretty sturdy and easily converted into a high sleeper or normal height bed (which it is at the moment). It might be a bit wobbly in high sleeper mode without the desk etc gubbins to brace it.

Have you thought about making one yourself? There’s really not much to them and you can make it to fit the room then. We recently made some bunk beds at my mums for the kids to sleep in when we go to stay, they’re very sturdy and fit just right into a spot that would have been hard to buy some for.

eemy
    Free Member

Thanks all for advice to date. I had looked at the IKEA Tromso bed, but did worry it was a bit flimsy. But if it is sturdy as marvinpines says, then will go in store for a look. Also had a look online at Hyder and Jay-Be, but it is always difficult to know for sure without seeing them in the flesh.

tonyd – I had considered making it myself, but the chances are it would take me ages, so I think it’ll need to be shop bought.

Any other suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

bernard
    Free Member

If you don’t mind eBay an old version of the stompa high sleeper might be worth a look, with the benefit that you can sand/paint etc when you are finished and sell it on.

midlifecrashes

Another happy (secondhand from ebay) Tromso customer here. A plain one without futon or desk. A short wardrobe from Ikea kids range and a chest of drawers fit underneath, and desk and shelves on the other side of the (small) room.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Stompa Highsleeper, we bought one for our eldest daughter from ebay last year, we know it’s at least 3rd hand but still solid as a rock, daughter loves it. Pretty spendy when new but retain their value, plenty on ebay

jag61

We had an Ikea one eldest daughter found that it was really hot /stuffy at that altitude, the bed/frame was fine and has been cut down at one end now to fit at low level over the headroom stair box thingy. Also Ikea mattresses are odd sizes for future needs?
    HTH
    John

DrP

I was in a similar boat and was disappointed by the flimsyness of the beds.
    So I built my own – industrial strength woodworking!!
    Labour intensive, but worth it in the end!

DrP

eemy
    Free Member

DrP – that looks like a lovely piece of work. I could see myself spending £500 on MDF and plywood.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have a double version of that ikea one in my garage that is supplus to requirements if your intreasted.

eemy
    Free Member

owenfackrell – I would be interested if you are close by. I’m in Scottish Borders.

Out of interest, did you cut down the legs? The IKEA site says that the bed needs a min ceiling height of 270cm, so I’d probably need to cut about 30cm off the legs as the bedroom ceiling is only 240cm

bigblackshed

Boy1 has a IKEA Tromso with the desk underneath. Needed to be bolted to the wall, but he’s a great clumsy oaf. Boy2 is having the new lower version in the spring.

IKEA mattresses fit fine and are very good quality. 10 or 20 year guarantee IIRC.

tinribz
    Free Member

+ stompa if you can find one at the right price, v sturdy.

Had a wooden one from Ikea that was extra wide inc a storage area, but they don’t seem to do them now. Ikea ones are a bit high, so I just cut a foot off each leg. Suited the youngest at his height anyway.

torihada
    Free Member

ebay’s your friend. Got both my kids “high sleeper” or “loft” beds. One from ebay & another online. If they feel a bit wobbly bolt them to one wall for stability.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

owenfackrell – I would be interested if you are close by. I’m in Scottish Borders.
    Out of interest, did you cut down the legs? The IKEA site says that the bed needs a min ceiling height of 270cm, so I’d probably need to cut about 30cm off the legs as the bedroom ceiling is only 240cm

Unfortunatley I’m in the south of England. We didn’t cut the legs down and out ceiling is about. 2.40 I have heard of others who cut some o the legs and there is the length there to do that.

DaveP

We had 2 jay be beds. Excellent quality. Worked really well for the time we had them.

But we got rid of them for a few reasons, but one of them would be have been because you cannot sit up in them (in a new house – ie low ceilings).

I got both of ebay and sold them for similar money. For the ages mine were (possibly 6-10), they were great.

DrP

Ignoring the price of the mattress (as you’d need it whatever the frame), buying the raw materials (wood/fixings) only cost about £230 ish, maybe less.
    Pretty good value for what you’re left with..

DrP

TiRed

Where are you? Have a fine pine Stomper that teen2 wants to get rid of. I love it. Bed, desk and sofa, but he wants to come down from the nest! Email in profile.

loddrik
    Free Member

My 8 yr old daughter has an Ikea Stora high bed like the one below. It’s a double bed and it’s really high but its great and she absolutely loves it. Before I put it together I’d imagined I’d have to fix it to the wall but once it was up it was very solid on its own so there was no need. Paid £220 and it was money well spent. The metal ones look bloody horrible and are prone to creaking but this is wood and doesn’t whatsoever.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Kids love these and they are great for space saving. But (there’s always a but) if you have ever tried to make one of these beds, it is a regular daily pain, especially if you use a fitted bottom sheet. If your kids make their own beds, then its their pain to deal with, of course. Then its just a daily argument ….

CaptainSlow

Thuka make some awesome beds for small people. http://www.roomtogrow.co.uk/?gclid=CKbbhoqolrwCFZShtAod3H0Anw

We bought their high sleeper for #2 and it is solid. No problem fitting us both in for story time 😉

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I have one in my teenage sons room now surplus to requirements. Its solid, has a wardrobe at one end as well as a desk and drawers underneath. Takes a single mattress. It cost > £500 let me know if its of interest, I can send some pics to you if you like. I may be able to deliver (From Preston) if its of interest as I have friends in the Dumfries area. £100 plus £25 petrol money sound reasonable.
    Richard

eemy
    Free Member

Hello there Richard. Thanks for the offer but really after a double (140cm-ish wide).

TiRed

Used Stompa. Superb quality. We’ve had a cabin bed and a high bed with under desk and sofa. Both were excellent. Both passed on.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘High sleeper bunk/loft bed – advice please’ is closed to new replies.