Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • High Roller ok on the front?
  • granny_ring

Finishing off the new to me frame build and I bought some tyres off here ages ago, a high roller and an ardent so wanted to fit them f + r respectively if poss?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You will certainly die.

pictonroad

You have a ‘P’ next to your name, there’s two pages in the latest mag dedicated to this tyre. Read it and then you can be sure any failings on the trail are yours and not the fault of your rubber. 8)

tomhoward

I ran that combo for 3 years, only changed as I was doing a really muddy hit the north, works well.

granny_ring

Failings are always my fault, not seen the mag so thanks for that.
    Cheers Tom.

iian
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.

Just watch when you really lean over, they can sometimes snap-washout, but otherwise, awesome tyre.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

HR2 is fine, the original had a gap between the centre tread and the side knobbles that felt like it was going to let go for half a second every time you laid it over.

I only used them on the back after one ride.

granny_ring

Ah ok I’ll with version this is cheers.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Not wishing to be contrary, but I didn’t like the HR2 as a front, found they let go when pushing them fairly hard in the corners / leant over. Not as much as the original high roller and they always caught quickly enough, but enough to be alarming and make me unsure on grip. Went back to magic Mary’s which are noticeabley better imho

kimbers

Im a fan, great lazy (can leave it on all year round) tyre pretty good in most situations.

The 2.4 grippy version is great imo,
    Especially in loose stuff, once it gets too muddy you need a shorty or magic, but anything up to proper gloop is great.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Got to say I agree. The High Roller 2 is a great rear but I also prefer the Magic Mary up front.

IMO the Ardent is poor as a rear if you are going over many wet roots / rocks, or like to push down a lot of power in technical sections. Fine for XC / fire roads though.

…Based on my experience of MM / HR2 and Ardent combos on 160mm double suss so take with a pinch of salt if your riding is different.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Never was a fan of mine up front either. Good centre grip/braking and fine cranked over but vague in between, due to lack of transitional knobs.

Ardent on the rear isn’t good either. Fast, sure, but never tough enough for me.

chunkychew
    Free Member

Personally, I wouldn’t put one on the front. HR2 is good at nothing. A bit draggy in the dry on hardpack, pretty poor in the wet, doesn’t clear that well, has a big gap between centre and side lugs, and when you get it on its side lugs, they lack guts. It’s only okay as a rear tyre. I think a minion F is a better bet.

rocketman
    Free Member

One of the worst front tyres in the history of tyres

Similar feel to early Nobby Nics in that it can make an otherwise fine handling bike corner like a cow on ice. Ok on the back but a bit draggy.

Can’t go wrong with a Minion or a Mary on the front

philjunior
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.

I prefer a Swamp Thing for most of the steep combination of damp and rooty stuff on my local trails, Magic Mary is quite a good one too, depends how damp your trails are etc, but for an all round tyre it’s fine.

Of course when you fall off, don’t forget to blame the tyres (or some other bit of the bike.)

chiefgrooveguru

I like it but it is a commitment tyre – that’s the properly knobbly 2.4 3C version, not the rather feebly knobbed 2.3″. I pair it with a Minion SS out back for getting loose on the hardtail. For railing turns and generally feeling more in control I’d rather have a DHF 2.5 (but that clogs more easily) or a Shorty 2.5 (but that’s even slower and not so good when it can’t dig in).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘High Roller ok on the front?’ is closed to new replies.