Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • High roller for the front
  • joemacca51
    Free Member

XC use, on my anthem. What compound do I go for?

can someone send me a link for the right one to go for.

brant
    Free Member

42A dual ply.

HTH

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is 42A not a soft compound version surely and will drag a lot for an anthem?

I’d go 60A, front or rear.

brant
    Free Member

Is 42A not a soft compound version surely and will drag a lot for an anthem?

wheelie

Euro
    Free Member

Top one if you’re feeling flush, middle one if not, bottom one if you’re happy to have to pedal a bit more in exchange for more grip.

Only fatties with no bike handling skills should consider the dual ply as it’s a bit ott for cross country.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i’d choose a different tyre.

I run a 60a on one of my bikes and find it hard work for traditional ‘style’ XC. Good on rocky stuff, peak district, trail centre stuff though.

Duffer
    Free Member

Here is a generic link. **edit – too slow!**

A nice 60a will be more than enough. I generally use a set of 60a wire hihgrollers all year round. The 42a is only worth it for really slippery work (i have 42a swampthings for when it’s really slippery)

skywalker
    Free Member

Better off with Maxxis Advantage

elliott-20
    Free Member

I’d go for single ply. Less weight to push and you’re less likely to suffer from pinch flats if you mainly ride XC. I ride AM and use single ply on the front and never had a problem with sidewall associated problems. 😀

elliott-20
    Free Member

skywalker – Member
    Better off with Maxxis Advantage

Skywalker has a point too

Northwind

Depends entirely on what you want to do with it, what your idea of XC is. Some folks would fit a supertacky and justify it, others will fit a maxxpro and still not use all the grip, and end up dragging around more tyre and more weight/drag than they need. So in conclusion, no idea.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I agree with Brant the 42a dual ply is all I will use for my XC race bike.

If you need anything less than the 42 you arnt going round the corners fast enough.

IanW
    Free Member

2.35 60a exception, look and ride perfect on an Anthem . They turn it into a trail bike like they do any bike.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I use a super tacky, single ply on the front for my idea of XC and its fine. I run a 60a on the back or a semi slick when the sun comes out.

I used to rave about Minions n my DH when I leaved in the peaks, but I’ve gone off them for some reasons since moving south; I swore by them riding in Wharncliffe, but at Stile Cop I feel out of love very quickly. Strange.

joemacca51
    Free Member

Does the advantage have less rolling resistance than the high roller?

I have crossmarks on at the moment. Just want more grip on the front in the corners.

trailzilla
    Free Member

I run a 2.35 60a Kevlar bead high roller on the front and a 2.35 60a Kevlar minion front on the rear for winter trail use on my BFe. I find it a great combo with plenty of confidence but not too much drag on the uphill.

I’ve also got the 2.35 wire 42a singleply high rollers but I find them a bit to draggy for the kind of riding I do so I only used them a couple of times last winter.

If you are up Edinburgh way I’d sell you a 42a high roller for the front for a tenner as I’ve got a pair but only use one up front in the worst of conditions.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘High roller for the front’ is closed to new replies.