Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • High Peak Trail/Monsal Trail Loop
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

As I’m throughly fed up with dragging a bike through axle deep clag at the mo, trashing both bike and trail as I go, I figured I’d do something different tomorrow and do the above, simply to get some traffic free, semi-offroad miles in. Start from Cromford, up the incline, past Parsley Hay, jump over onto the Monsal Trail and back to Bakewell

However I’m a bit stuck for a similar “family cycling” route to get back from Bakewell to Cromford. Doing it “proper” off road – no problem, but it’ll be utterly filthy after the recent weather, so I’m wondering if there’s anything I’ve missed that fills the obvious gap in the loop in?

Google is not being especially helpful – the Peak District Cycleways site mentions the loop, but doesn’t give any further details.

Cheers!

Spud

For family rides, start at Middleton Top, up the High Peak Trail, Parsley Hay, down Tissington Trail, off at Tissington, down to the ford and then up to Brassington (it’s a bit of road mind), then along the trail at side of Carsington Water, another road section to Middleton Top, alternatively, leave family with a tea and cake and head back for car yourself.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

It’s not family – just me’n’her. Distance and gradient not an issue. The longer the better, to be honest. Be cheating to start from Middleton Top!

By “family cycling” I mean dry/well surfaced.

Spud

In that case, that’s not a bad loop, tag in a lap of Carsington too!

iain1775
    Free Member

There are plans to extend the Monsall Trail to Matlock but nothing built yet (it’s at public consultation at the mo)
    I don’t think there is an easy route other than linking up a load of country lanes
    I’d go with Spud’s suggestion

slowoldman

Well possibly:

Before getting to Bakewell on the Monsal Trail there is a BW going off R (just before the cafe at Hassop Station). Up and over the hill then from Bakewell head towards Alport, Elton, Winster, Bonsall Moor, Grangemill then back onto the High Peak Trail near Harboro Rocks. A mix of off road and quiet lanes.

MoreCashThanDash

We’ve tended to do it as a Cromford – Parsley Hay( or carry on to the Royal Oak at Hurdlow) – Tissington – Carsington – Middleton – Cromford. Until a Bakewell – Matlock link is in place it’s a hard bit to get round.

woody21
    Free Member

There is a cheat (I’ve thought about trying it myself). Start at Bakewell, Monsal Trail South to Haddon Hall, Bridleway to Rowsley. A naughty bit on a concessionary footpath from the Grouse and Claret to Peak Rail at Rowsley South, steam train to Matlock, East Midland Trains Matlock to Duffield, Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Duffield to Wirksworth. Then High Peak Trail to past Hurdlow, over to Monsal Trail at Blackwell Mill then South to Bakewell

h4muf
    Free Member

I do cromford,up all 3 inclines,hpt then jump on PBW to cheedale,monsall all the way to coombs road.
    Go through town after petrol stations turn right up a bridleway then to youlgreave then birchover back to matlock.

woody21
    Free Member

There is another slight alternative to h4muf route is to continue on the Monsal Trail to the Coombs Road viaduct follow the bridleway through woodland and fields which brings you out onto the A6 north of Haddon Hall head on A6 to Hadon Hall and there is Bridleway near the car park to Youlgrave

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘High Peak Trail/Monsal Trail Loop’ is closed to new replies.