Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • High mileage motors, what you got and what have you had.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My ageing pug is heading towards 200K and to be fair it is still going strong. It needs a bit of TLC electrically but mechanically it is sound, in fact I am about to stick a new cam belt in and keep it going. I think I will actually shed a tear when it finally gives up. So what motors have you had that just won’t die and what silly mileage did/ have they have.?

Klunk
    Free Member

220k on a 1998 scooby (mostly me had 45k when i got it) alot of petrol but a lot of fun.

stumpy01

Got rid of my 03 plate Ibiza TDi about 4 weeks ago.

It had 271,500 miles on it. I bought it at 3 years old with 24k miles on it so put most of them on it myself.
    Still on it’s original clutch & flywheel, exhaust, turbo, injectors etc…..most expensive new bit it had was an air con compressor at about 180k miles that cost £500 fitted, including the system re-gas.

The aim was to treat myself to something newer once it reached 300k miles, but a baby arrived at the end of October last year & with it the realisation that both our cars were too small to be practical.
    So, the old faithful got sold & we’ve now got a Citroen C3 Picasso to replace it.

Gutted to see it go, but it had served it’s time. The bloke who bought it off me didn’t sound like he was going to treat it quite so well. He text me a few days after buying it to tell me he’d found a small coolant leak but had fixed it with Radweld…… 😥

jekkyl

I have a VW Passat Estate, 05 plate with 211k on the clock, it’s just keeps running and I love driving it. I’ve just given it a new clutch before christmas at great expense so I am not getting rid of it anytime soon. I treat it like dirt inside, (had 2 bikes in it all up and down this country and over to france) but look after it mechanically.

Gunz
    Free Member

‘Only’ 170k on a diesel Peugeot 205. Engine still went like stink but decided to move on when I leant over the engine and my hand went through the bodywork.

willard

had 250+k on a Vauxhall Frontera. It still ran, but had issues with the ECu that caused it to lose power. And a leaky heater matrix. And a blowing exhaust. And rusty brake pipes.

My old Mk2 Golf GTI had nearly that much on it when I passed it on. That was pretty much mechanically perfect though. It did leak though.

The Rover that had 260k on was properly shit. The engine was genuinely shot and it had huge issues with the windows, sunroof and the electrics. I was glad to see it go and amazed I got 250 quid for it.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

mazda 6 2.0 petrol 03 reg, 174k on the clock. Dad had it from 40k, then to me from 150k. Thing that’ll finish it off is rust, £500 of welding for MOT last year, but its mechanically sound so hard to think about junking it at the moment.

wilko1999
    Free Member

A MK1 Golf GTi 1.8 with 260,000. I bought it at 250,000 for £400. On the way home from buying it the clutch went, which the previous owner replaced at his cost. After that 10,000 miles with only a basic service. My mates all had MK2 16Vs – up to 70 mph it was noticeably quicker, at which point not surprisingly the 16Vs were quicker.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Had a Mercedes estate c270 52 plate

230000 odd miles sold it on to the Russian mafia – it got exported

wwpaddler
    Free Member

225K on a 98 Renault Laguna diesel. Failed its MOT rather spectacularly a year, a crash and 5K miles after I sold it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve had (in the past now) 2 x BMW 530d Sport Tourings, both black, both with towbars and roof racks.

So,
    Car 1 – 179k FSH, flawless machine. Drove as good at that mileage as it did when I drove it home form new. Px’d for car 2..
    Car 2 – I Liked car 1 so much I bought another when Px’ing, 246k, FSH, flawless machine. Only issue I had in all that time was the iDrive update and the boot locked shut.

Both cars towed a Mumm30 (racing yacht) and Melges24 (another racing yacht) around Europe and the Uk to compete. I used to fill the car up with sails and kit and all manner of tools and rig fittings and got all that in and a couple of ugly fellas and one very sexy girl in it as we traveled around.
    I ruined car 2’s interior due to chucking wet windsurfing kit in it, that dripped onto the leather on the passenger side creating stains and soggy bums.

Amazing cars.

Sundayjumper

My BMW 320td just turned over 169k miles this morning. I’ll take it to 200k if I can.

My VW T4 Caravelle is on 224k (ish, I can’t quite remember).

I once had an E38 735i with 240k miles on it. That was a great car while I had it, but it turned up on ebay with a broken gearbox about six months after I sold it.

I saw a T4 for sale recently that had c. 600k miles on it 😯

joshvegas
    Free Member

2003 golf TDi estate 216k

Straight through the last two MOTs and about to give it a new timing belt and water pump.

next stop 300k

trail_rat
    Free Member

had a mk3 fiesta we bought at 98k…. and sold it at 248k….

It had to go when i went to jack it up and jack went through the jacking point….car stayed on the floor

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It seems my my Audi A4 is a sprightly youngster at 138k

andysredmini
    Free Member

I had a bmw 320d e90 2005. It had a measly 118k when we sold it. The engine was still fine but the rest of the car was dropping apart around it. We decided to sell before it needed more than it was worth spending on it just to keep it going.

joshvegas
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    It seems my my Audi A4 is a sprightly youngster at 138k

Almost tiome to remove the “running in” sign from the rear window

jate
    Free Member

Honda Civic 2.2CDTi went past the 200k mark last week. Apart from consumables the only thing that has ever gone wrong with it is an ABS sensor that went last month. £140 all in to replace.
    Last car (Ford Focus) gave up at 205k when a con rod went and the one before (Citroen ZX) lost an argument with a tree at 210k.

IHN

Mk2 Golf – 110k
    Mk4 Golf – 125k
    T5 – 125k and running.

Don’t really want to get if the T5 for a good while yet, what’s the tips for attaining interstellar mileage?

4ags4
    Free Member

Work car has 206K on the clock – 56 reg Mondeo TDCI.
    Still runs pretty well, just looks tatty!

SaxonRider

I drove a 1988 petrol Volvo 740 GLE from 1998 until 2003. The only reason I sold it is that I left Canada for the UK.

When I did, it had 320k kms on it, and when I spoke with the friend I sold it to, he was still driving it 3 years later back and forth between Saskatchewan and Ontario for family holidays. That’s 3000 kms each way over the Great Lakes.

Pigface
    Free Member

Both my high milers were the same engine 1.9 diesel in a Citroen BX and a Peugeot 405 The Citroen had 290,000 on it and after I sold it carried on for another 30,000. The Peugeot had 240,000 and suffered an electrical fire behind the dash that wrote it off. The engine was sweet still.

Both were great cars.

petrieboy

My 2002 a4 1.9tdi had 250,000 when I sold it this year. Had it from new. Original clutch, flywheel, exhaust etc. Only had routine servicing. I got a text from the new owner months later to say it was still going strong and how delighted he was with it.

We also bought a t5 caravelle last year. 3 year old with 180k on it which has also been faultless in the 10k weve subsequently put on it.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

1989 Astra MKII 1.4

Friend had minor prang in it at about 140K.
    I straightened the bonnet, replaced the wing and put in a new headlight.
    I used it as a stopgap motor for another 134K.

Used it as service barge for rally car.
    Competed in a production car trial, numerous navigational scatters and a road rally (21st on Starlight navigational).
    At some point the cam belt snapped. 😮 It cost me about £10 to replace it, with no other damage. 😀

At 274K, with every body panel a slightly different shade of red, I gave it to fiancées young nephew as a banger racer.

It rather surprisingly did very well winning a least 1 event IIRC.
    So he scrapped the shell and used the engine in a Corsa in the 1.6 hotrod category – apparently the torque produced suits the tracks (not having to rev the nuts off it).

As it still wouldn’t die, he’s rebuilt the engine (again) and it’s going into another hotrod – this time he’s going to have it rolling road tuned to be more competitive with the hot 1.6’s

vondally
    Free Member

Mk 4/golf 130k still got it

Mk 2 golf gti 8v 229 k, took it to 134k sold it bought it back at 210 sold it at 229 and last I heard was on 280

davidjey
    Free Member

Decided we need a second car again, so I’ve just bought a 1999 Suburu Legacy estate with 178k on it to complement our soon-to-be-replaced 2004 Mazda 3 that has, yup, 178k on it. Bought the Mazda at the end of 2008, one owner, 85k. We probably won’t quite have put 100,000 miles on it before it gets traded in.

ads678

Sold my 03 Passat last April with 198k still drove fantastically when I sold. And then a mate of mine sent me a photo of it passing him on the M62 going towards Hull at Christmas so it seems it’s still going. Great car that was.

freeagent
    Free Member

1995 Defender 300TDi, had 160k on it when I sold it 10 years ago – I believe it is still running as sold it to a family friend.

1996 Discovery 300TDI – Head gasket went at just short of 150k.
    Fitted new head, didn’t realise the overheating had cracked the block, engine expired again a week later – was towed to the garage and became a victim of the scrappage scheme.

br
    Free Member

Years ago my first new company car, a Xantia TD. Did 160k in four years. Only had one problem, one of the suspension units failed at +100k, recovered and fixed within the morning.

Also took an 405 Mi16 to 150k and my last new company car was a petrol Vectra that did 75k in two years with zero issues.

Current car has 90k and at now only doing 15k pa should last longer than I need it for.

franksinatra

I was in a black can in Edinburgh recently that had a sticker in the front reminding the driver that the next service was due at 625k miles.

jakd95
    Free Member

Just bought a Citroen Xsara estate with the 2.0 Hdi 110 engine on 166k. Hoping to easily take it over 200k in the next couple of years. It’s pig ugly and looks like a proper old giffer car but drives nicely, has heaps of room for bikes, does 55mpg and only cost £500. Some of the electrics are a bit dodgy but mechanically it’s sound.

yeager2004
    Free Member

Some impressive mileages racked up here.

Barely run in by some of the responses here, but my 03-plate BMW 320d did 120k in 4 years and still drove like new, having had nothing more than routine servicing and tyres during that time. According to MOT history it was never put through another MOT, so I can only assume it was crashed or stolen.

On another note, what is the likelihood of today’s modern diesels covering 200k+ mileages, or will they have all been scrapped at 6 or 7 years old due to failed DPFs,dual mass flywheels, EGRs etc.

porter_jamie

my t4 is on 217k and the gearbox is v noisy – i’m sellign it on ebay currently. the motor is as sweet as though.
    wife’s volvo is on about 160k, the odo stopped working about 3 years ago.
    brothers vito is on 200k and seems as good as it was @70k
    my old hiace went well over 200k and then got sent to nigeria apparently

doris5000

this one makes me chuckle

my folks owned this thing from about 1983 to about 1993, and they still see it around town from time to time:

Volvo 245DL - UNT439S

I looked up the MOT history, and the mileage on the clock has been exactly the same at every test for the last 10 years 😆

EDIT – i see from the post above that this fault still afflicts certain Volvos! haha

karlsbug
    Free Member

I just px’d my 54 plate VW Touran at 150k. Looking at these mileages, I should’ve kept it. Although we have spent a bit on it in the past, it will probably still be going long after my ‘new’ 57 77k Nissan Pathfinder has exploded….

wait4me

170k on my 52 plate Passat 1.9 diesel. I’m trying to think of an excuse to get rid, change for change sake. But it’s such a great car. Has never not started 1st time.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

had a mk1 vectra (2.0 D) as a company car that did 170k in 3 years with absolutely no issues at all… then again it was mainly motorway miles (natch) so it shouldn’t really have had any issues

jakd95
    Free Member

@doris5000 – is that Volvo going up Wyle Cop in Shrewsbury?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

GF’s Fiesta is on 120k, I’d like to say it’s barely run in, but she’s not one to check the oil very often, so the rate at which it needs checking is exponential in relation to how often she doesn’t check it and it runs low 🙁

My MG Midget is (apparently) on about 130k, it’s 3rd engine rebuild, numerous gearboxes, second chassis and body, etc etc. They don’t build them like they used to.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Currently driving a

52 plate Megane with 130K

And a

03 plate passat with 190K

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘High mileage motors, what you got and what have you had.?’ is closed to new replies.