Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • HiFi shelf speaker recommends, under £200 ?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Lost some 30yo treasured Tannoy speakers when my house flooded a few years ago and speaker stands went rusty so I threw them. I moved back home only 6 months ago and been making do with some cheap shelf speakers from a Sony mini hifi someone gave me. I’ve decided I’ve no desire to take up floor space with standing speakers anymore, so just want good quality bookshelf speakers that sound crisp and with nice base, they’ll have to be no more than 6″ from the wall and sat on a cupboard. To go with 30 yo Turntable (Michell Eng.) and 20yo cd/amp (Cambs Audio/Musical Fidelity) all of decent quality in their day. Altho I mostly like to just plug in the phone and spotify these days.

What have you got that you love, must be less than £200 or likely to come up on ebay 2nd hand for that sort of money.

tjagain

Gale mini motors gold? I have a couple of pairs and to me they sound almost as good as my mission 770s

Well cheaper than your price as well.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Waaay below your budget, but my qacoustics 2010’s have always impressed with their taut punchiness.

Maybe something further up their range?

jeffl

Bit over budget but I like my Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers. Think the Bronze 1 speakers may be in your budget.

nedrapier

Happy with my 2010s too!

retro83
    Free Member

Anybody know what are they like compared to wharfdale diamond 9.0s?

They get good reviews but I’m loathe to buy a pair if it’s not a step up.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve previously made a list of 8 from somewhere (presumably made up of trawling best of/5 Stars etc), 3 of them are Q Acoustics as it turns out, 3020, 2020i, 2010.

I’ll check out those Gale and the MA 1 as well thanks. I’m not going over £200, nearer £100 would be preferable.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Denon scm 50 by mission – very cheap second-hand and very good

allthegear
    Free Member

Can hardly believe you can get a pair of Linn Kans for less than £200. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/linn-kan-speakers-/302501088829

Best bookshelf speaker you’re ever likely to come across.

Does mean going into Shipley to collect them, though.

Rachel

mattyfez
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

allthegear – Member
    Can hardly believe you can get a pair of Linn Kans for less than £200. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/linn-kan-speakers-/302501088829

Best bookshelf speaker you’re ever likely to come across.

Does mean going into Shipley to collect them, though.

Rachel
    I live in Bingley, about 3 miles away, they were already saved to my watch list. Only reservation I have is it’s the Linn Kan MkI and II that’s massively raved about, can’t find much info about these mkV which also go for significantly less on ebay than the I/II. They look nice and I expect sound nice, but I’m put off as I can’t find out much about them (the mkV).

stumpy01

There’s some Kef Coda 7 speakers on eBay for £15, which are great little speakers.

B&W DM601s also seem to be going for a good price.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Those Dali look good, added to the list. I think Richer Sounds in Leeds are due a visit.

wilburt
    Free Member

Full on opposite to the normal STW recommend what you own. I listened to the Amp I did buy demo’d with a pair of those Dali’s and thought they/it were superb.

Its still good with my own speakers but I have this nagging suspicion the Dali’s may be better.

NZCol

I’ve just sold a set of Totem Dreamcatchers which were amazing little things

RDL-82
    Free Member

How far are you willing to travel?

May be of no interest but I have some MA Bronze 2’s that I keep meaning to advertise but haven’t got round to. Excellent condition Have stands too.

simonalex99

Mordaunt short ms20i pearls. I bought some for £30. Got good reviews. Good sound to my ears.

AlexSimon

I haven’t heard them, but the shop that I trust the most (and who normally sell super-high-end kit) put these into their budget system:
    Monitor Audio MR1

They certainly don’t play the What Hi-Fi card of every slight update being the ‘best budget speaker ever!’.

I used Linn Kan MkIs and Rega Kytes, and even though they can be superb, I do find their lack of bass prevents me from truly falling in love. I use the Kytes as rears now as they match my Rega ELA II fronts.

hatter

Another vote for Q acoustics here, pair the 2020i’s up with a separate sub and you have a winner!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@retro83

I haven’t heard the wharfedale 9’s for comparison, but you won’t be disappointed with the 2010’s.

Compared to my very first ‘proper’ speakers (monitor audio 1’s from 2005), the qacoustics are way more responsive and managed to complement my denon mini hifi.

I’d put it down to the qacoustics having a much stiffer cabinet.

The ma1’s are still in use, albeit with a much more powerful amp, as they need a good ‘skelp’ to overcome their inherent mellowness.

sillysilly
    Free Member

B&W 601s3’s or old CM2 offer great value and can be picked up for between £1-200 S/H. Not too fussy about pairing / placement too.

retro83
    Free Member

greatbeardedone – Member

@retro83

I haven’t heard the wharfedale 9’s for comparison, but you won’t be disappointed with the 2010’s.

Thanks GBO 8)

tillydog
    Free Member

2020i’s up with a separate sub and you have a winner

The sub is essential IMHO. Nice speakers though.

allthegear
    Free Member

A tip I was given on the Linn Kans was to drive them with a serious amplifier. Now using a Linn LK280 and there is certainly no issue with lack of bass at all.

Rachel

jimplops

Don’t know if they’re still available, but I love the sound of my KEF iQ1.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘HiFi shelf speaker recommends, under £200 ?’ is closed to new replies.