Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hifi experts – why isn't my set-up working?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just dragged in an old amp and floorstanders into work so we can have some proper sound in the office.

I am using (at the moment, until a new stylus comes) internet radio – output from the computer via a 3.5mm to twin phono cable that is plugged into the amp and the amp wired into the speakers in the normal way.

But I am getting terrible distortion coming out (at all volumes).

I have tried a different 3.5mm to twin phono lead and a different set of speaker cables with no joy.

The speakers worked the last time I used them (about 6 years ago) and the cones look like they are in perfect condition.

The amp (Sony VA8ES AV amp) is unknown – it *believe* it was fully working but it came from my late dad’s house so I cannot confirm this.

Is it likely that the speakers are goosed or that the amp isn’t compatible with such an input?

I could take the amp home and try wiring it up to a working system at home to eliminate this but it is a faff and was hoping someone here may be able to point me in the right direction.

Ta.

wwaswas

which input are you using on the amp – a headphone output from a pc will probably be way to high for most phono inputs in an amp?

spooky_b329

try the amp with a different input/source, such as an ipod.

geoffj

Have you got the speaker cables connected in the right direction?

stevehine

It sounds to me like one of two things:

Either the output level from the computer is too high (try turning the volume on the PC to minimum then gradually raising it) – or you’ve got the cable plugged into the turntable input on the amp and it’s therefore running through a RIAA filter; which will sound horrible.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It was in the phono input – I shall try again at lunchtime then.

😐

wwaswas

use the tape-in one if you have it – likely to have the biggest tolerance for a high signal – and as above turn volume on pc right down and then gradually raise it.

Cougar

It was in the phono input

That’ll be why.

If you have the option on the PC, use a Line Out connection. If you’ve got lots of colour-coded sockets, it’s the pale green one.

crispy
    Free Member

I too, have learned about the difference between Phono inputs and all the other ones.

Whodathunkit, hey?

tonyg2003

Well very helpful too. Played with the tape input and the PC volume level and now have crystal clear 6music on with office HiFi. Great.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is quite alot of input sockets at the back…

Which are the three most appropriate ones to use? (Want to be able to switch input from one computer to another and have all the 3.5mm to twin phono cables ready and waiting…

wwaswas

use aux-in or tape-in.

stevehine

You can use any of them; except for the phono stage 🙂

Just make sure whichever input you use that the amp doesn’t attempt to do any dolby surround decoding on it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just make sure whichever input you use that the amp doesn’t attempt to do any dolby surround decoding on it.

It has a ‘Direct Pass’ button to bypass all the fancy sound gubbins 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Many thanks all – works perfectly now.

Now for the turntable and old Frankie 12” singles…

😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

Now that’s sorted, does your turntable have a magnetic or ceramic cartridge……

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have absolutely no idea – it needs digging out from the depths of it’s current storage place and checking. I recall the stylus was goosed the last time I tried using it so if a new one isn’t available I will buy a new turntable from Richer Sounds or somewhere I guess.

EDIT – it was only a cheapo Technics one though so whatever it has it won’t be any good.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Which are the three most appropriate ones to use?

They’ll all be at the same level other than phono,.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

Now that’s sorted, does your turntable have a magnetic or ceramic cartridge……

You mean “moving magnet or moving coil”?

Rubber_Buccaneer

No, way back in the mists of time there was such a thing as a ceramic/crystal cartridge. The output was higher than magnetic and therefore a different phono stage/pre amp is required.

MF won’t have one, I was just chucking it in to add to his confusion 🙂 I only know about it from A level electronics >20 yrs ago.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well my work stereo set-up couldn’t have come at a better time – Tubeway Army’s ‘Replicas’ is the album of the day on Radio 6.

😈

cynic-al
    Free Member

A level electronics you say? We only had physics in my day 🙁

jkomo

6music all the way. How do you get any work done?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I work better with music on – played Pink Floyd VERY loud after the office emptied tonight 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dad-rock-tastic!

CountZero

Bet it sounds better than the little Pure One that I have to listen to 6 on… 😕

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hifi experts – why isn't my set-up working?’ is closed to new replies.