Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hi Mod Carbon or not?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Looking at road frames. Assuming you have two identical frames (for arguments sake the Cannondale Super Six) is there any particular advantage to buying the Hi Mod or ‘run of the mill’ (Evo) frame? (Apart from weight maybe)

If you ask in a shop they will usually say ‘yes’ because there is a higher margin in the top end frame. If my name were Sagan I may be able to spot the difference but is a reasonable standard rider really going to perceive any tangible improvement of one over the other? Or is it simply as case of ‘nice to have’ but not much else?

(I know the difference is ultimately in the legs/lungs etc)

njee20
    Free Member

If you ask in a shop they will usually say ‘yes’ because there is a higher margin in the top end frame

Smaller margins on top end stuff, but it costs more, so they make more money.

The Hi-Mod frames are a lot lighter, and I’m sure they’ll say stiffer too. So depends if you value that or not, and exactly how much lighter and how much spendier they are.

So, to answer your question, maybe.

slowjo
    Free Member

LOL

You can get a Hi Mod frameset (2014) at a little under £1,500. The 105 Evo is about that for a complete bike.

Stiffer is quite important, lighter, not necessarily that fussed. At about 6ft 4 and 191 lbs, a slightly lighter frame isn’t going to make as much difference say, as a decent set of wheels.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The Super Six Evo is Under 700g’s and the Super Six Hi-Mod is Under 700g’s according to Cannondales website.

I’d presume the Hi-Mod is stiffer and the Evo looses weight due to external routing as opposed to internal.

njee20
    Free Member

The Super Six Evo is Under 700g’s and the Super Six Hi-Mod is Under 700g’s according to Cannondales website.

That’s specifically the top one, they’re not both under 700g.

The standard one is 1150g, Evo Hi-Mod is <750g, and Evo Nano is <700g.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Apart from weight, not much.

Will you notice the difference? Probably not.

Depends how much money you’re throwing at the build. Unless it’s megabucks then buy the standard evo and spend the difference on decent wheels.

edit: Thought the 1150g mentioned above sounded implausible. Cannondale’s published weights for 56cm frames are 950g for the standard evo and 738g for the evo hi-mod. It’s the CAAD10 which is 1150g.

njee20
    Free Member

Aah, apologies for quoting inaccurate sauces.

timba
    Free Member

950g – 738g round figures 212g -22%. Quite significant…
    Rider weight 89kg (me – very round figure 🙂 ) + frame = 89.95kg – 89.738kg round figures 212g -0.24%
    (think that’s right, it’s 5am)

sefton
    Free Member

I very much doubt you’ll notice any difference.

get cheaper frame and spend extra on wheels and great tyres IMO

chakaping
    Free Member

Depends how much money you’re throwing at the build. Unless it’s megabucks then buy the standard evo and spend the difference on decent wheels.

+1

I’ve just gone “down” a level of carbon and it’s not really slowed me down, prefer feel of new frame actually.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hi Mod Carbon or not?’ is closed to new replies.