Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Hi-fi upgrade
  • Everywhen
    Free Member

On the subject of ATRAC, I was given a Sony demo Minidisc (Classical music compilation) at a pro audio show soon after the system was launched.
    I found it not long ago and played it on my full sized MD unit, through my HiFi, the results were surprising, it sounded really good.
    ATRAC is not that bad.
    This is, though, a Sony MD and the recordings are Sony digital ones from their label so I would expect the mastering and encoding to be as good as they could get at the time (1993/4).
    Apart from convenience though, why rip everything to mp3/iPod? If I sync up a CD and iPod with the same track and switch between them its easy to tell the difference.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I don’t know Whoppit, I produce art for albums and as such have always loved sleeves. I like shopping (in shops) for CD’s and just find although it’s more convienient to plug in the laptop/download/stream I like opening a CD case and putting a disc on. When my Uncle passed on this year he left me his prized CD and Amp, I have some B&W and speakers from a work contact. I’m very lucky and will keep it and look after my Hi-Fi.

beanieripper
    Free Member

+1 for Cyrus, been running a fully pxsr’d setup for a while. Blows me away. Bear in mind that Cyrus aftersales is excellent, the stuff really is futureproof well built and you can get spares/repairs and service done really quickly and reasonably. One of the best outfits i’ve dealt with…

freeandsingle
    Free Member

If you’re not desperate to get a single brand system at the same time, it may be worth looking into the upgrades that Arcam offers? CD player technology has moved on since you got your unit, the ‘tone’ of most mainstream speakers has also changed to reflect changing fashions for more ‘detail’ in music. Amp technology hasn’t really changed to the same extent and the old Audiolabs were fairly well thought of. That said, having sold these brands and more for a few years I ended up with a Naim/AE setup

joolsburger
    Free Member

After twenty years of buying hifi I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s all about the speakers and the source. I’ve downgraded from a 4k amp to a 300 pound one and the difference is not 3700 quids worth. I’d keep the audio lab, upgrade the speakers to something juicy and get a squeezebox.

Raindog
    Free Member

If you live near me you’re welcome to listen to my Cyrus kit. Email in profile.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member

After twenty years of buying hifi I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s all about the speakers and the source. I’ve downgraded from a 4k amp to a 300 pound one and the difference is not 3700 quids worth. I’d keep the audio lab, upgrade the speakers to something juicy and get a squeezebox.

It’s important that the bits in between, transfer the information from one end to the other efficiently though, jools.

NZCol

+1000 for the Naim Uniti

I’ve had mine a while now and its fantastic. I stream from an iMac using Allegro Media Server and it just works. Although i have now cabled the Uniti to the switch I have as it was spanking my wireless network a bit hard. My Uniti is connected to a lovely new pair of Rega RS5’s and its quite simply brilliant. The iPhone app to control it is pretty cool as well. I’m about to borrow a UnitiServe as well (the joy of having an office attached to a Naim dealer !)

nicko74

I’d agree with the Squeezebox Duet as one part of the setup – the firmware is somewhat shonky (I think I have to take the battery out and reset the controller every other day or so), but the functionality is great.
    FWIW, I run that through an Arcam Solo, which has the innards from an Alpha CD73(?) CD player, DAB and FM radio and some decent amp parts. But then if you’re not after a one-box solution there are probably better bets out there.

JCL
    Free Member

I wouldn’t waste my money on a hi-fi branded sever/streamer. If I was in your position I’d sell everything and get a 1TB Mac mini, a good firewire DAC, tiny power amp and some large, high sensitivity speakers.

That is the future of hi-fi IMO.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Woppit my previous amp was a Lavardin IT i sold it for a naim and then sold that in order to go valve. I bought a Marantz 6003 from Richers as a stop gap and frankly I’m likely to just keep it. Speakers are Audio Physics and the front end is Clearaudio/AT/NVA so not too shabby.

A month back I’d have agreed with you but I’d say PC decent sound card or squeezebox, simple little amp, big f off speakers is the way forward too.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Raindog-Ta for the offer but unfortunately I live in Cambridge so a bit of a trek! I like the idea of a one-box solution so I thinly my first step is to have a listen to the Naim & Cyrus units. The Naim support for Apple Lossless looks interesting but the UnitiQute may be a bit underpowered

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Hi-fi upgrade’ is closed to new replies.