Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hi Fi / Home Cinema Help
  • angeldust
    Free Member

I’ve recently been decorating which has meant my HiFI / Home Cinema system has been dismantled, and then put back again.

I run everything through a (now old) Denon AV receiver, using the pre-outs for the front 2 channels to run to a 2 channel HiFi amp. After putting the system back together the left front speaker started to cut out intermittently, which I presumed was a bad phono connection. I adjusted the connection a bit, and all was normal until today. So I adjusted the connections again (very tight btw) and now nothing from BOTH pre-outs. Every other component (speakers, HiFi amp, CD player) has been checked and appears to be working normally. The other pre-outs (centre, sub, surrounds) all fine. Any ideas what could be wrong, and any way to fix?

(BTW Current work around to keep me going is to use the front channel connections on the receiver).

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Upgrade. I recommend, you know….

thehustler
    Free Member

why decorate ever again, replace a wall with this

how much?

richmtb

Were the phono / RCA connectors really tight?

Did you have to give them a really good wiggle to the get interconnects off?

I’m guessing you’ve broken the connection internally.

Its a pretty simple fix, would just need re-soldering

angeldust
    Free Member

They were very tight, so that is possible. Both front channels and the sub channel are not working, but I guess all of them could have been physically damaged in some way (they are all next to each other). I will take the back panel off and have a look. Thanks for the suggestions.

angeldust
    Free Member

So I took the case off and there is no indication that anything has become detached or needs resoldering. Any other ideas?

Cougar

Are you sure it’s the outputs? Ie, does the fault stay on those connections if you wire the other speakers into them instead?

angeldust
    Free Member

Yep. Switched round components to isolate the issue and everything is functioning, so it has to be the front speaker outputs. If I run the 2 channel amp and front speakers through the surround speaker pre out they work fine.

richmtb

So I took the case off and there is no indication that anything has become detached or needs resoldering. Any other ideas?

Have you tested the connections with a multimeter?

A break in the circuitry might not be obvious but if you can test for an open circuit you will know for sure

angeldust
    Free Member

Have you tested the connections with a multimeter?

A break in the circuitry might not be obvious but if you can test for an open circuit you will know for sure

Probably beyond my electronics knowledge unfortunately. Wouldn’t know what components to test on the board.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hove you also tried different cables, just in case ?

angeldust
    Free Member

Yes tried different cables

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hi Fi / Home Cinema Help’ is closed to new replies.