Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • Hi fi – "clean" mains
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Can anyone rekkermend a mains cleaning device for my hi fi? Just to go between the socket and the hifi.

Can SFb et al dullards please stay away, we all of course know that such devices CAN NOT POSSIBLY MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE and I am simply buying a belief.

glenh
    Free Member

Some capacitors.

These are what is normally used for decoupling power rails. Your equipment will already have loads, but you can add more in a box if you like and pay 1. not very much if you do it yourself; 2. loads if you want someone else to do it for you.

nickc

Wind up, surely?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Unless your mains comes in on a ley line forget it.
    Myself, I use batteries charged by solar panels with cold filtered sunlight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

More to it than that surely…I know what they do. It's about cutting out interference etc from the mains itself and introduced by cheapo PSUs on your other eqpt?

If you disagree, what do you suggest? A mix of types an sizes?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Easiest way is to just be sure the loop it's on isn't the same as anything with a high drain or a motor in it. Easiest way is to look at the fuse board, and make sure nothing like that is pluged into the same loop as the hi-fi, and preferably not even in the same phase if possible(assuming your house has 3 phase electrics).

And yes, a noisy mains will ruin a good hi-fi's sound.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Al what equipment do you have?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Please guys, have you even tried listening to decent power supplies on your equipment?

A sh Valhalla board (£50 to me a decade ago) transformed my TD160.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Amused at the thought of someone soldering caps across the mains.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

In my flat there's one light switch that when used makes my PC speakers go 'pop'. Would a mains conditioner stop that or is the flat just really badly wired?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mike

hot-rodded TD160 – valhalla, rewired RB300, (but knackered cartridge), new subchassis & wall mounted support
    DNM Start pre-amp
    Crimson monobloks
    Rega Kytes, soon to be replace by cynic-al floorstanders.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can SFb et al dullards please stay away

I hope you're not discriminating against dullards ? Don't we have a right to unspiky voltages too ?

we all of course know that such devices CAN NOT POSSIBLY MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE

this is of course quite wrong as it will enrich the people selling mains cleaners

glenh
    Free Member

BTW, plenty of interesting reading here, including some stuff about cables 😆 (not sure if there's anything about mains conditioning though):

http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Can SFb et al dullards please stay away

I hope you're not discriminating against dullards ? Don't we have a right to unspiky voltages too ?

we all of course know that such devices CAN NOT POSSIBLY MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE

this is of course quite wrong as it will enrich the people selling mains cleaners

If you have top notch kit a clean mains supply is worth it IMO, and it's relatively cheap compared to a lot of other hi-fi upgrades.

Del

you'll trust the guys who make your kit to convert digital to analogue, take in low level analogue from phono stages, and amplify them in a manner you find appealing to your ears, but you won't trust them to rectify the mains properly?
    okthen….

glenh
    Free Member

http://sound.westhost.com/cables-p4.htm#power

EDIT: actually that link has nothing to do with mains filtering, but he does have this to say:

"Typical filters will use Metal Oxide Varistors (MOVs) to cut off any high voltage spikes, and a capacitor and inductor network to filter out anything that is not at the mains frequency.

A true 50Hz (or 60Hz) tuned filter will be a large unit indeed, so most line filters only work at frequencies above a few kHz. This is generally enough to get rid of most interference, since a well designed power supply should be able to filter out the majority of noise from the mains."

cynic-al
    Free Member

Del – Member
    you'll trust the guys who make your kit to convert digital to analogue, take in low level analogue from phono stages, and amplify them in a manner you find appealing to your ears, but you won't trust them to rectify the mains properly?
    okthen….

Have you ever listened to this stuff or do you just sit around being "clever"?

richc
    Free Member

I think you need to change your name al, perhaps gullible_al would be appropriate.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

perhaps gullible_al would be appropriate

I was just thinking that :o) I think the idea is that he's cynical about anything not directly observable, which is a respectable stance (at least, to a dullard)

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK you can be "rich-does-not-trust-own-ears"

cynic-al
    Free Member

FFS.

Do you guys actually listen to components in systems or just do engineering degrees?

I worked in hi fi manufacturing, design and retail. Sorry, but you are just talking nonce-sense!

crikey
    Free Member

Out of interest, how many of those Hi-Fi chappies ever get their hearing tested, y'know, just to make sure they're not throwing money away?

…it's not that difficult to see how religion gets going; compared to the Hi-Fi world, it's all far more plausible.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Do you guys actually listen to components in systems or just do engineering degrees?

I only ever listen to music in this context. Listening to the sound of the sound would be entirely beside the point.

Del

'fraid i never stuck around long enough for degree-level clever. higher only, sorry. it's paid off ok though. 😉
    my stereo only came in one box too, well, two boxes if you count the speaker box, but that's because i couldn't be doing with the 'seperates doubt' that seems to haunt you hi-fi freaks. it was quite expensive by my standards if that matters? makes a nice noise though. 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'm wondering whether a UPS would help, me. Summik like this?

IanMunro
    Free Member

It's a pretty valid question though. Take a hi-fi amp company that you respect and ask yourself why would the designer not incorporate suitable mains filtering?
    The only two reasons I can think of are cost or incompotence. Now filtering (in the grand scheme of things) isn't that costly, certainly not when compared to big transformers, so that would leave incompotence?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Take a hi-fi amp company that you respect and ask yourself why would the designer not incorporate suitable mains filtering?

with respect, thought experiments are even more far fetched than subjectivism…

you only have to handle many common products of design to realise that common sense or the needs and abilities of the intended users have not figrred much in the process 🙁

jahwomble
    Free Member

"Take a hi-fi amp company that you respect and ask yourself why would the designer not incorporate suitable mains filtering?"

Many do including Sony,panasonic and LG on their plasma displays as well

jond
    Free Member

>ask yourself why would the designer not incorporate suitable mains filtering?

Judging by the interconnect thread, some people think it isn't so much designed as pulled out of a virgin's chuff 😉

Seriously – you could add a 'mains conditioner' but all it'll do is suppress typically non-periodic transient/switching noise*, and maybe some high frequency noise (tho' your amp supply ought to do that anyway). If that's what you're after then that ought to be fairly cheaply obtainable – I'd guess significantly more than 30 quid and you're being ripped off or into the realm of rapidly diminishing returns.

*actually, transient noise *is* high frequency by its nature, or more accurately, wide-band, but some of the spikiness may get through the amp psu – depends on how the amp's been designed and how spikey the spikiness is.

A UPS generates 50Hz ac from a dc supply – in doing that it'll generate some low level periodic noise (tho' not necessarily audible) – you'll get less supply glitchiness but you equally may get most of the way with a simple mains filter.

If you've got anything particularly noisy on the mains, it'd make as much sense to find whatever it is and deal with that (at a guess appliance motors, switches, dimmers).

>Amused at the thought of someone soldering caps across the mains
    Cue 'what caps for house destruction or general messiness ?' thread 😉

AdamT

Jond, how do UPS generate the 50Hz AC from the DC? If there's some switching in there you could get some audio frequency noise at the switching point. They would possibly filter this out, but I imagine in a lot of cases these products will be built down to a cost.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, no. I'm not going to comment. No no no no no… 🙄

jond
    Free Member

Lo' Ads – offhand I dunno – I reserve the right to talk b*llocks 😉

But if you built it as a class D amp – ie using pwm – then you can choose your sample rate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Class_D
    and it's probably pretty efficient.

Aha:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation
    In fact
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter_(electrical)#Circuit_description
    (including the smelly 'lob a square wave in the general direction of a transformer !).

I guess there's no reason you couldn't just use something like a wien bridge and a couple of transistors +centre-tapped transformer to be realtively linear, but the efficiency wouldn't be very good.

jond
    Free Member

>Well, no. I'm not going to comment. No no no no no…

😉

AdamT

I'm not sure you care about efficiency, just the noise spectrum from all the switch crap going on. Oh yeah, don't talk to me about PWM. I'm just doing a big project on motor control. PWM is OK though as I'm generallly a 0's and 1's guy 😉

Del

I'm just doing a big project on motor control. PWM is OK though as I'm generallly a 0's and 1's guy

you won't get anywhere with that 5hit…
    😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

I sympathise. I had to design a DSP motor controller for a 1kw ac servo motor a few years back. That used to shit me up big time each time there was a fault in the code 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm just doing a big project on motor control. PWM is OK though as I'm generallly a 0's and 1's guy

and it'll sound like shit 🙁

AdamT

In no way relevant to this thread, but for the motor control people:-

jond
    Free Member

>I'm not sure you care about efficiency, just the noise spectrum from all the switch crap going on.

Agreed, to the extent that someone wants to run their amp off a UPS.
    But a UPS is *normally* going to be designed for something that can't afford to be switched off (quickly, at least) and with a limited battery limit, so it'll be designed to maximise efficiency, rather than it's sinewave fidelity – hairchested's link is a a computer ups.
    There's nothing stopping you designed something different if sinewave accuracy's what you're after, but that's not yer typical UPS.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Hi fi – "clean" mains’ is closed to new replies.