Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • HG Mould Spray….
  • gonzy
    Free Member

so i ordered a bottle of the stuff to tackle some unwanted mould in the bathroom….the stuff arrived on friday and i went to work tackling the mould that very evening
    wow…the stuff does a good job
    but my question is this…
    does it actually remove/kill the mould or does it simply “bleach” the colour of the mould to make it look like its not there?

cb

removes from what I’ve seen

martinhutch

Giving it a scrub won’t hurt. If it’s in grout I tend to scrape a bit out and reapply.

dragon
    Free Member

It’s just over priced bleach. It’ll kill stuff for sure, but you’ll have to scrub the worst areas, beware as it’s not very nice stuff to handle and breath.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s just bleach. There isn’t any chemical that actually removes mould; there may be a bleach-stable surfactant included in the formulation to thicken it and make it cling and to help with the mechanical job of scrubbing away what can be removed mechanically.

gonzy
    Free Member

if its just bleach then why does normal bleach not work? i’ve tried every brand like domestos etc and the stuff couldnt be removed but a few squirts of this stuff and its gone in less than 30 minutes…whats so special about the stuff?

Stoner
    Free Member

unicorn tears.

cb

sprayed in the shower and the liquid runs down the wall ‘mould coloured’ – suggests its being removed to me. Stubborn areas need a scrub.

GrahamS

Greta stuff. From what I’ve seen it kills the mould, bleaches the colour out of it, and removes most but not all of it with a bit of a wipe/scrub.

i ordered a bottle of the stuff

B&Q sell it, if you want to avoid ordering it specially in the future.

gonzy
    Free Member

its never in stock at the store nearest to me.

GrahamS

They seem to have it in several places in mine. The “household” bit is often out of stock, but a wander about the plumbing or “nasty chemicals for DIY and/or disposing of bodies” section sometimes turns up some. 😀

db

Do not get it on the bath mat as I did!

Mat now looks like a bit or modern art 😀

nedrapier

Does it get to the back stuff behind silicone sealant, or will I have to strip that ouy and start again?

Jamie
    Free Member

Amazon sell it, with free delivery, for 9p more than B&Q.

willyboy
    Free Member

Would you like to save some money?

ps its as good as HG and cheaper (as long as you live near a wilko)

GrahamS

Does it get to the back stuff behind silicone sealant, or will I have to strip that ouy and start again?

In my experience it gets rid of black spots on silicon sealant, but if the mould has already got in behind your sealant then it will have broken the seal with the wall so you’ll need to strip it out and reseal.

willyboy
    Free Member

Ned – if you get good sealant (and the wall is clean) it doesn’t tend to go mouldy

Dow Corning

Davesport

The Stove Glass Cleaner is also excellent (On stove glass) 😀

ourmaninthenorth

The Stove Glass Cleaner is also excellent (On stove glass)

I bought some of the mould spray recently and so far so good. But I couldn’t bring myself to buy stove cleaner when white vinegar and some ash from the pan do such a good job.

nedrapier

graham, willy, cheers, that’s what I figured.

Rental property, LL recently did some work on the bathroom, there’s now a couple of black spots, and we’re moving out shortly.

My guess is that the parts that have gone black point to plumber not applying properly or cleaning beforehand rather than our slovenly attitude to cleanliness (which, for the record, isn’t slovenly!)

But if a few quid on some spray would mean it’s a discussion that we don’t have to have, I’d gladly pay it!

CountZero

I got some of the Wilco stuff, and it did get rid of black goo behind some of the silicon, but it took several applications.
    Fair enough, it’s cheap as, and required little effort.
    Same with my little travel flask; tea had turned the inside a very dark brown, and a bit crusty, so I bought some Wilco’s ‘Superdent’ denture cleaning tablets, 75p for 30. Needed several goes, but I’ve used about a quarter, and the inside is all bright and shiny now!
    Wilco’s is great! 😀

Drac

Domestos do one, think it’s them, only a couple of pound and works very well.

teasel
    Free Member

Just a tip – get a cheap microfibre towel and dry the tiles and corners after use. It eliminates the main culprit of mold. A good sealant helps but it can only do so much.

scuttler

HG Mould Spray is always with the domestic cleaning stuff at B+Q (mops, cloths, rubber gloves) rather than in some hazmat aisle with other solvents. There’s usually a TV playing miracle product videos on loop to listen out for.

Epic stuff.

GrahamS

Just a tip – get a cheap microfibre towel and dry the tiles and corners after use. It eliminates the main culprit of mold.

The main culprit in our shower is the constant drip.

However I’ve taken apart far enough to realise that fixing it requires ripping off all the tiles and destroying the wall it is installed into – so for now it still drips 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘HG Mould Spray….’ is closed to new replies.