Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • HFW last night
  • mrsflash
    Free Member

So who is tempted to try out the slug recipes then??

willard

*sound of tumbleweed*

JAM29er
    Free Member

Don’t agree with HFWs philosophy “if you’re gonna kill it you should be prepared to eat it”. Happy to kill mozzies, hell if genocide was an option…. Why not encourage birdlife by planting carefully, don’t they eat slugs??

domino

Have Sky+’d it – slugs, sounds like I am in for a treat.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

it was the slime they pulled off the things that turned my stomach!

skiprat
    Free Member

What about gutting them!! Not much left after that!!

Bet that smelt great!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worms aren’t too bad.

Pan fry ’em with a little wild garlic. Nomnomnomnom.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The man himself admitted the recipies would benefit from not including slug …

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t agree with HFWs philosophy

That’s ok, it’s harder for me though – I just have a problem with his existence. Now he’s opened up a place in Bath, shamelessly flogging his merchandise – great review in the Observer at the weekend btw.

ourmaninthenorth

great review in the Observer at the weekend btw.

Mais, bien sur…!

HFW has *some* interesting things to say, but his approach isn’t always that endearing, I find. Also, he isn’t really saying anything that a loss of less well connected people haven’t been sayiong for rather a long time….

Pook

get him on the forum…..

oh hang on….

mrsflash
    Free Member

lol @ pook.

I must admit I was thinking of that thread last night.

mt
    Free Member

“deadlydarcy – Member

Don’t agree with HFWs philosophy

That’s ok, it’s harder for me though – I just have a problem with his existence. Now he’s opened up a place in Bath, shamelessly flogging his merchandise – great review in the Observer at the weekend btw.”

Why do you think he should not be selling? Is it just that Bath is the wrong place in your view? or that he should only making a living the telly? Why exactly?

chvck
    Free Member

That’s ok, it’s harder for me though – I just have a problem with his existence.

Yeah I’m with you on that one.

“if you’re gonna kill it you should be prepared to eat it”

Screw that too, I’m not eating rat, might try it if it was specially bred and a few generations down the line of the bred ones; so maybe a bit cleaner.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why do you think he should not be selling? Is it just that Bath is the wrong place in your view? or that he should only making a living the telly? Why exactly?

Ah steady on now there old chap. It’s a whole other thread I guess about the preachy sleb chefs which personally wind me up. Anyway, I’ll quote Jay Rayner’s article about his new place in Bath (I only reference Bath because it’s nearby), because he writes it far more interestingly than I could:

…Where I have parted with him is when, in my opinion, he has attempted to turn what are basically a bunch of lifestyle choices for the affluent – ones I buy into – into part of a wider debate on public nutrition, which they are not…

….Most tiresome of all, however, is the endless flogging of River Cottage product. On the table were leaflets, one pimping the latest River Cottage book, others pushing everything from River Cottage membership at £35, through the evening events from £60 a head to the day courses from £135 per person. To one side is a pile of River Cottage books and videos. Smart to put them in rustic wooden crates, but that cannot disguise the push for sales. I am not naive. Any business needs to make money. The problem arises when that business has built ethical values into the heart of its brand which can only result in the product being pored over in exquisite detail. To my mind, this one sometimes comes up wanting.

Full Article Here

BTW, the food there is apparently quite good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘HFW last night’ is closed to new replies.