Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • HF/VHF radio, satellite comms – for beginners
  • vorlich
    Free Member

In order to improve my chances of landing my dream job, I’m looking to get a grounding in the basics of HF and VHF radio and Inmarsat and Iridium satellite communications. Ideally I’ll be seeking out some practical experience too, but I’d like to do some reading on the subject first.

I have absolutely zero knowledge of the subject, other than the basics covered in physics lessons at school.

Can anyone recommend books on the subject?

winston_dog
    Free Member

I take it is to be used in a marine environment?

If so you need to know about the GMDSS system.

GMDSS text book

vorlich
    Free Member

Actually, there will be some comms with research vessels, but I’d be based on land, and comms would be base to base and base to ship. Would I still need GMDSS for that?

vorlich
    Free Member

bump for lunchtime

beaker

Try and sniff out a telecomms principles book. Wikipedia (yes I know) is worth a look. I can only talk from the satellite side of things but in past interviews I’ve been asked about frequency bands, principles, how weather affects a signal, satellite orbits etc etc.. HTH

Ewan
    Free Member

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/satellite/index.php

I use the above site for quick reference on various mobile phone stuff. Haven’t looked at the satellite section… but it’s there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘HF/VHF radio, satellite comms – for beginners’ is closed to new replies.