Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • hffft…hffft…hffft…hffft…hfffSHABOOOOM
  • stevestunts
    Free Member

I can't really give a decent explanation for why I did it. I knew the outcome before it even happened, but something – something – made me keep going.

Call it child-like curiosity, call it mischief-making, call it what you will, but once the barrel was attached to the valve, there was only ever going to be one conclusion, albeit not quite what I was expecting.

After a summer of neglect, the tyre needed inflating so I could put the wheel back on the turbo again. The sidewalls of the 15 year old Mavic M231 rim were completely scalloped, but since there's no need to brake on a turbo, it wasn't a problem. So in went the air.

70psi… quick thumb test… yep, that's plenty hard… but let's keep going…
    80psi…
    90psi…
    95psi… hmmm, lots of resistance… better put my entire body weight on the track pump…
    The needle briefly skips past 100psi and…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

detonation AND face plant ??

stevestunts
    Free Member

A touch of user error there… images should now be apparent.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Had that happen when riding along once – uphill luckily. It was a long walk home 🙁

crispybacon
    Free Member

a bit of gaffa tape on that & it'll be as good as new 😉

grahamt1980

exactly what I would have done.
    I over filled a road tube and tyre once, made 130psi and the bang made me go deaf for 10 minutes.
    Great fun and will no doubt do it again

MS
    Free Member

Put new tyres on my road bike today, put the tyre on, pumped it up to about 100 psi, left it sitting while I did the back, next I know I was deaf in one ear! Tube had given way!! Luckily it was not the rim!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I once had an MTB slick snap the wire bead and blow off the rim about 12" from my face (100+psi). It didn't touch me but I saw stars and went deaf. The neighbours came running…

RealMan
    Free Member

Sweet.

djglover
    Free Member

Tell all the guys at work tomorrow, I bet they will die laughing

kimbers

i put my new slicks on my comuter, pumped em up rock hard a went to bed very satisfied

about 2 am a gunshot is heard to echo around the walls/ wooden floors of the lounge/ kitchen

living in a not nice part of london me and my housemate emerge from our rooms tooled up (old handlebars and a tennis racket) ready to confront this home invasion

wasnt till next day i spotted my tyre blown off the rim

stevestunts
    Free Member

djglover – your response seems a little terse. Have I done something to upset you?

nickc

Kimbers, a tennis racket?

Feel the mighty wrath of cat gut….

What was he going to do with a tennis racket?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘hffft…hffft…hffft…hffft…hfffSHABOOOOM’ is closed to new replies.