Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Here it is – my new 29er !
  • bunnerscj
    Free Member

So, couldn't be bothered to wait for on one to get 29er's back in stock so I went for this :

2010 Kona Unit 29er, frame imported from US for a barg, rest is made up from bits I had in the garage !

Yes, I know, the grass needs cutting 🙄

tinsy
    Free Member

Very nice… nothing at all like a Scandal. And now sort out some graphics. 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Nice

Short and tucked in at the rear for a good balance (are the CS's ~17 & a bit inches?)

Steepish on the HA though

How are you finding it?

Is your chain off at the front?

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Tinsy, Graphics are on there, they are very discrete, difficult to see as they are hidden but the dark metallic paint job and the shite photo 🙄

Bonesetter, chain is on the granny, longish chain as I like to know that in the heat of the moment I can (although highly NOT recommended) run it large front / large rear !
    Not sure of the CS length but they are long !, rides like a dream, bit of a tractor compared to a 26er but at 6' 4" I dont mind, bit difficult going from a 6" Heckler though but nice none the less !
    Actually glad I went with the Kona as the drop outs seem much better that slot drop out on the on one, hanger isnt cheap though as came without rear mech drop out !

Its shweeet !

STATO
    Free Member

what forks are they, dont look like they are long enough (440s instead of 470s?)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

nice.

Yes, I know, the grass needs cutting

Grass what grass?, lawn need some serious weeding, and that untreated fence too, shame on you!

oddjob
    Free Member

Nice

You'll never want 26 inch wheels again though…

MrTall
    Free Member

Looks very compact to me, what size frame is it if you're 6'4"?

I like the look of my massive 29ers (23" Rockhopper & 22" Salsa Big Mama) as they seem in proportion to the wheel size. I agree that your head angle looks very steep as well.

But it's still a nice bike, but then i think all 29ers are nice. 🙂 Too many On Ones out there IMO so it's nice to have something a bit different. I've never seen anyone else on either of my 2 makes of 29er but then 29ers in general are still pretty rare in the real world outside of this forum.

takisawa2

Boy, that's one steep head angle. 🙂
    Looks really smart by the way.

bunnerscj
    Free Member

Forks are 475mm 29er carbon legged from Exotic

Frame is 20" centre to top, could of had a 22" but I didnt want it too large as prefer to have more seatpost that an even bigger frame !

I agree with the on one theory, too many now a days and I have never seen a Kona steel unit 29er out there so no brainer really (although I did get stung £25 by parcelforce for customs clearance etc)

rockitman

MrTall, any chance of you posting some pics of your bikes. I'm 6' 6" and about to build up a 29er…

bunnerscj
    Free Member

head angle is steep as the frame should be run with a fork set up with a small amount of rake, P2's were with the frame but I didn't like the weight, look or reviews on the 29er P2 so sold them on here, handles wel though but I would never use it for donwhill stuff, just south downs and trail centres 🙄

MrTall
    Free Member

Rockitman,

I'm a computer retard i'm afraid so wouldn't have the first clue how to post pics on here (must try and learn one day) although i could probably send you one of the Rockhopper from home tonight as i took a few pics out on a ride a few weeks back. The Big Mama is only a few months old and was finished just in time for winter to kick in so it's barely been ridden as i prefer the hardtail in the mud (there's less to get destroyed!). Not sure i have any pics of the Salsa (apart from on my phone) to send at the moment but will happily send you some in the future if you want. Off on hols tomorrow for a week though.

Also if you're anywhere near the midlands you'd be more than welcome to try them out for size.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Here it is – my new 29er !’ is closed to new replies.