Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Henley on Thames MTB routes?
  • Kryton57

Anyone got a decent route for a ride from the town/river?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Lots of stuff up towards Stoke Row , Peppard, woodcote and Goring. Did this area last week from Newbury in a little epic ride and back. No major climbs etc. Also rides from Watlington etc and Stokenchurch, so lots really.

Kryton57

Great.

So where do I start/go/end? I don’t know the area.

nickc

Go up the road to Bix, and start from there. TBH there are so many BW around that area, it’s easy to put a loop together.

When are you there?

ononeorange

From memory if you go up the main road north(?), there’s a bridle way on the left before you leave town which gets you away from the place and was quite fun. It can link you to the great places mentioned above.

Sorry that’s vague but I did it once some years ago. Will try to remember to dig out the os map tonight.

pnewbery1966
    Free Member

To be honest there loads of trails around Henley it’s hard to know where to start, I can send you a GPX for a nice 14 mile loop if you want, it goes through the centre Henley but will take you through Nettlebed and Rotherfield greys.

uphilla
    Free Member

I can send you a route I have around Sonning Common and Nettlebed – or do you have a GPS?

WildHunter2009

If you cycle up the Gteepish hill past george harrisons on old (Friar park?) and take the left signposted Pack and Prime Lane, thats turns into a bridleway with some fun steps on the way down then follows the valley and up to cross the Stoke Row Road. If you turn right onto the road then left about 50m or so onto a pretty crappy looking road (This turns into Dog Lane), can be a bit wet this and runs past the golf course to what used to be the dog pub.

Right onto the B481 and then somewhere on the lft is another bridleway which will drop you down into the hidden valley between the villages. Up the other side and follow your nsoe into Stoke Row for a pint.

Hmm takes ages describing routes, might try and draw a wee map

Kryton57

nick c – wednesday night 2, maybe 3 of us, staying at the Leander (the rowing club).

For those that have mentioned GPX I do have a garmin 500, I’d be really grateful for a file in my email if you have one, looking to do about 60/90 mins give or take.

WildHunter – do you mean the hill out of Henley that goes over the bridge, or the other way towards Fairmile?

timidwheeler

http://www.bucksmtb.co.uk/trailguides.htm

There’s a few routes on this site including gpx files.

WildHunter2009

Erm neither of them, hill that climbs up past the town hall, Gravel Hill i think its called.
    When i figure out how to draw on a map I might post a few suggestions.

pnewbery1966
    Free Member

@Wildhunter2009 I think you are right it is called gravel hill, if you go up this hill by town hall for about 300 yards then turn left into bridal way (i think it is called pack saddle lane)

Kryton57

OK, so where is the town hall? I drive over the bridge and turn right onto fairmile for work, so that (the pub on the bridge and Magoo’s) is pretty much all I know about Henley…

jekkyl

The ridgeway?

WildHunter2009

If you drive over the bridge the town hall is the big building on the square ahead of you. Pub called the Argyll on the left, Loch Fyne on the right hand side.

I lived out in Stoke Row so unfortunatly most of my routes are based on the descents into Henley and then looping back or bypassing Henley but in the surrounding Hills.

On google maps/OS map, look up Greatbottom and Coldbottom woods, some nice trails link up from the road through them into stoke row.

If from Stoke row you ride towards Highmoor theres some bridleways that go down near where the closed Dog and Duck pub is, you can probably follow your nose, follow any trail you feel like heading towards the fairmile ish. If you can end up near Lambridge woods theres some really fun singletrack and a fast descent into henley from there.

WildHunter2009

Also….. on a tangent, the Bird in Hand does some of the best beer anywhere in the area and has a lovely dog. Best pub in Henley, though the Angel on a sunny day is alright….

I do miss the trails around there, nothing very technical but brilliant for long long days out on the bike in gorgeous countryside.

khani
    Free Member

Dunno about cycle routes as we go canoeing when we go there, but the little Indian restaurant in Sonning is lovely..

mtbfix

Give Matt at AWCycles a ring. He does a ride out from Caversham on Wednesday nights. Not far down the road. 01189463050. He’ll not be there today though.

adsh
    Free Member

If you can end up near Lambridge woods theres some really fun singletrack and a fast descent into henley from there.

The descent along the panel fence? Surely the fastest feeling descent in the area!

It’s likely that you’ll have to head out on the Fairmile (use the cycle path on the right it’s a shit road) and turn right up the Assendons. A link to Bix/Nettlebed and you’re in business. Likely you’ll need lights.

jsinglet

We have 2 groups going from Reading to Checkendon on Wednesday night if that’s any help. You could probably ride down from Henley and go straight back to Henley from Checkendon.

Current Rides

John

Kryton57

Right

I found and copied this (click on the link). Any advice to adjust is welcome.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/4440296#.UgUJcS4mx2Y.mailto

Edit – it runs clockwise btw…

pnewbery1966
    Free Member

@Kryton57 just sent you a GPX via email

Kryton57

My gratitude to pmewbry1966 – have completed the route you sent and like it so much we did it again backwards – even in tonight’s rain.

Cheers!

mtbfix

What was the route?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Henley on Thames MTB routes?’ is closed to new replies.