Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Helvellyn- Sticks Pass any good?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Probably going to have a crack at Helvellyn this weekend given the forecast. I have done dollywagon twice before and absolutely love it, however I have heard varying comments about Sticks Pass. The general view of it is that it is quite tame apart from the bit at the bottom. Is it still exciting enough to be worth the effort?

Also, the route I have seen suggests going up Grisedale and Dollywagon to do this. Is this really an easier route than the standard Glenridding climb past the youth hostel?

Thanks

thekettle
    Free Member

Sticks is an excellent descent, definitely more pleasant to approach up the zig-zags rather than Dollywagon. East side (back to YHA) is fast pedally singletrack – best if you’re fit and don’t have a headwind! – then rocky switchbacks to finish. If you want gnarlier with more gravity assistance, Sticks West descent (to St Johns in the Vale) is all rideable (just) but much steeper and techier with some awesome switchbacks to finish. Most ways up West side of Helvellyn are large hike-a-bikes.
    Alternative route to do Sticks West is Dunmail Raise to Grizedale tarn (a walk) and descend Grizedale to Glenridding, then back over Sticks in full, or go straight up Dollywagon from Grizedale tarn to bag Helvellyn summit if weather is friendlier.

scandal42
    Free Member

Sticks Pass is awesome, thoroughly recommend it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Great, thanks. Sounds good to me. We will be going from the east as we are staying on Ullswater.

torihada
    Free Member

Sticks Pass at the end. Great descent. Will be back for more.

[video]http://youtu.be/v6WNjjm1pCU[/video]

ahsat

In a word…yes

One of the highlights of our honeymoon!!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Short sharp way to do it is up the zig zags up Keppel Cover and over Raise, and down to the mine.

If you want to make more of a day of it, head up to Dockray and along the Old Coach Road to Threlkeld. Down the bridleway along the west side of St John in the Vale and then along the road to Legburthwaite. Either hike-a-bike up Stanah Gill to Sticks Pass or go a bit further to Thirlspot and hike up to White Side, the path along White Side is nearly rideable, then either there-and-back to the top of Helvellyn or simply over Raise and down to Glenridding as before. (This is the “secret Helvellyn” route of the now defunct offroad-adventures-online website)

stoney
    Free Member

From Glenridding?

Go up Kepple Cove (passed the YH),at the top turn left, up to the summit…. Then on the way down go past K.C, down towards the “crossroads” and turn RIGHT down Sticks…
    When you get to a kinda “no mans land” (quarry), take the right fork down the mine track back to Glenridding.

Job Done…. 😛

stoney
    Free Member

Damn… i was beaten to it! 😳

Trekster

How long time wise ir?

chakaping
    Free Member

Did it a couple of months ago up zig zags, over raise and down sticks pass then up and over the summit and down dollywagon – to make it work the journey.

Sticks was definitely worth the effort.

Sadly my strava kom down from grisedale tarn was pinched by thekettle up there shortly after.

Bastard.

thekettle
    Free Member

😆

hora
    Free Member

We did Sticks- loved it. singletrack top, gnarly lower down (heres where it starts to be become harder (I’m on the left):

Into this further down with me dabbin’:

boxelder

I’m told the southern of the paths down Glencoyne is also good and techy (north side Sheffield Pike)
    Footpath though

lowey

Yeah its a great descent from the col down to Greenside Mine. Bit of everything.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m told the southern of the paths down Glencoyne is also good and techy

Seen that on Strava and I’m mighty tempted to give it a go. Which way “might” be the best option around Seldom Seen? Stay higher (southern) through the woods, or drop down to Glencoyne?

The northern path round Scott Crag and towards Aira Force is ok, but when I tried it found it hard going.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yes its a giggle

grum
    Free Member

You’ve got to include the cheeky seldom seen footpath (left turn near the bridge) – makes the whole thing into one of the best descents in the UK IMO. Some nice alpine style exposure at the start. 😯

I’m told the southern of the paths down Glencoyne is also good and techy (north side Sheffield Pike)
    Footpath though

Assuming this is what I’m talking about – it’s an absolute belter. Tight singletrack with exposure at the top then some rocky, rooty, twisty stuff lower down – feels like it goes on for ages (you lose most of your height on technical trails rather than the road/track from the YHA).

Which way “might” be the best option around Seldom Seen? Stay higher (southern) through the woods, or drop down to Glencoyne?

We got shown it by some locals and they took us on the southern path, which turns into a track at some point. There is another little bit of rideable path rather than taking the track (just before the road) but when we did it they said it would be too overgrown to bother with.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Yep, Seldom Seen is a real gem. Doesnt get many walkers either.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Did Sticks down to Glenridding last summer. Have to say I wasn’t overly taken with it. The single track was nice enough, but over a bit quick, then the bottom bit (from Hora’s pics on down) was just point and shoot down the rocks.

I’ll admit I’d rattled myself earlier, coming down Lower Man – strong gusty sidewind and I’d nearly got blown off the edge a few times – leaning into the wind, then having both wheels drifting sideways in the gravel was kinda scary, so it’s entirely possible I wasn’t really feeling the love. Had an awesome run round the Ullswater singletrack afterwards though!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Sticks pass and seldom seen is awesome as grum says,just follow the path and stay on the natural line of the trail through the woods your getting a much better value descent that ends near the lake shore, about a quarter mile before the road theres a short hike up a steep banking (on your right) that offers a really good bit of single track ending nearer to Glenridding. easily one of the best descents in the lakes.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn- Sticks Pass any good?’ is closed to new replies.