Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Helvellyn routes
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Going tomorrow, and was thinking up Striding Edge and back down Swirral Edge. Is it quicker to start from Patterdale or Glenridding?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Walking I assume, Swirrell btw. We went up from Patterdale via Hole in the Wall although I bailed at Striding as I’m afraid of heights. Lanty’s Tarn is worth a detour on the way down imho.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Auto-correct damn you

Simon

Walking or riding?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Walking

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Swirrell btw

Quite sure about that?.

If it’s a good day, I’d go up grisedale tarn and dollywaggon pike, gives more of a walk along the top.

Then down either Swirral or striding edge.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Haven’t got as much time as I’d like unfortunately, so looking for a quickish route that includes Striding Edge.

lowey

Glenridding, up past Greenside, walk over the top of the old Dam and Acend the north ridge of Catstye Cam, Swirral Edge onto Helvellyn, descend to Striging Egde, Birkhouse Moor, Lanty’s tarn then Glenridding.

One of my favourite walks in the lakes that is.

rascal
    Free Member

Did this walk about a month ago:

From YH in Patterdale up to Hole in the Wall, across Striding Edge on to the top, down Swirral up onto Catstycam, then down along river into Glenridding and straight into the Traveller’s Rest for some Helvellyn Gold. Stumbled back to Patterdale for a nightcap in the White Lion…perfect walk in perfect weather

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s two options, the route suggested by Lowey and almost the reverse.

Glenridding, NE ridge of Birkhouse Moor, Hole in wall, Striding Edge, Helvellyn, Swirral Edge to Catstyecam then down E ridge to pick up track below outflow of Red Tarn, Glenridding.

If you have Wainwright’s Eastern Fells guidebook then the route up Birkhouse Moor is in that.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers. Did it from Glenriddle, up Striding Edge and down Swirral Edge. Was very tempted to go back via Catstye but Mrs TGA has been waiting all morning to cycle up to Whinlatter so had to be quick.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn routes’ is closed to new replies.